Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 12-28-21 (trip # 53 for the year)
Ira and I got up to Echo today started fishing around 9am. We drove in with no issues, parked down near ramp and walked on with little problem, although there was a little soft edge where we got on, lucky that someone left a plank there, so it wasn't an issue. We started drilling holes and once we found 25 FOW we found the fish and started catching lille dink perch, most were around 4 to 6" but Ira did catch two nice ones and a couple of trout. All in all a pretty decent outting for my first ice fishing trip of the season. The catching slowed way down between 12 and 1pm but picked up a little after that. Ice was 4.5" thick and we saw at least one person using a snow dog out there. lots of people out there but most were spead out pretty good from the dam all the way past the boat ramp. We had our best luck using a varity of TD's wobbler jigs tipped with either chub meat or perch meat and even meal worms.  Perch were on the bottom, trout were 10 to 12 down.
That sounds like a great day. I'm looking forward to getting after some perch soon. Thanks for the report.
There should be more and more perch locations opening up soon. As cold as it has been in your area I'm surprised you don't have one or two near you now. Have you heard anything on Big sandy wash?
Congrats you two, sounds like a fun trip... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks Jeff, it was good to get out on some good solid ice, hopefully get in one more trip there before they close that part of the park again.
(12-29-2021, 04:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: There should be more and more perch locations opening up soon. As cold as it has been in your area I'm surprised you don't have one or two near you now. Have you heard anything on Big sandy wash?
Big Sandy capped about a week ago. I checked it Monday and the edges were soft and the ice is not very thick. Maybe by this weekend. It won't be long.
(12-29-2021, 08:52 PM)hookngrinin Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 04:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: There should be more and more perch locations opening up soon. As cold as it has been in your area I'm surprised you don't have one or two near you now. Have you heard anything on Big sandy wash?
Big Sandy capped about a week ago. I checked it Monday and the edges were soft and the ice is not very thick. Maybe by this weekend. It won't be long.
That's good news, hopefully we will get a report from there soon. It is so out of the way, that most folks never fish the lake.
Nice, sounds like a good day, love those wobble jigs, work well in open water too.
(12-30-2021, 04:28 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, sounds like a good day, love those wobble jigs, work well in open water too.

Thanks. You are right we have used them vertical jigging from a boat.