Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ice on Pineview?
Does anyone know the ice conditions at Pineview? I’m really wanting to get some of those crappies.
I got an update but it's from Monday, so conditions have likely changed. They have carried through with their promise of putting up a gate at the Port ramp and it is closed, same with Cemetery point parking area, so there will be limited parking there this Winter. The ice looked iffy on Monday and no one was fishing it but again that could have changed. Hope this helps and welcome to the site.
(12-29-2021, 05:29 PM)Thankswiperhunter2 Wrote: I got an update but it's from Monday, so conditions have likely changed. They have carried through with their promise of putting up a gate at the Port ramp and it is closed, same with Cemetery point parking area, so there will be limited parking there this Winter. The ice looked iffy on Monday and no one was fishing it but again that could have changed. Hope this helps and welcome to the site.
I saw a few people fishing it yesterday. A group or two in the dam arm near where it opens to the north. I saw another near Remington. No idea on thickness.
Saw someone report on FB that they fished windsurfer beach area and the ice was 3” of cloudy ice. They did have success in pulling in crappie.
Where is Windsurfer Beach?

(12-29-2021, 05:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  They have carried through with their promise of putting up a gate at the Port ramp and it is closed, same with Cemetery point parking area, so there will be limited parking there this Winter. 

Jerk-weasels.  

I will do everything I can come up with to ensure they lose their contract, and/or make no money managing these public resources.
(12-29-2021, 11:56 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Where is Windsurfer Beach? 

[Image: 9-C7-BD176-3154-4400-81-C2-EA18060-DEEE6.jpg]

[Image: D4-C9631-A-0600-44-CE-975-B-78-BF4-E94478-D.jpg]

These are the images that the guy supplied on the forums with coordinates. Looks like the first parking lot after the narrows.
(12-30-2021, 12:04 AM)JArner Wrote:

[Image: 9-C7-BD176-3154-4400-81-C2-EA18060-DEEE6.jpg]

[Image: D4-C9631-A-0600-44-CE-975-B-78-BF4-E94478-D.jpg]

These are the images that the guy supplied on the forums with coordinates. Looks like the first parking lot after the narrows.

Most kind, thanks.

Just never heard it called that.
I think it is used as the tail head parking lot, for that trail just across the road but lots of people fish just below it as well and for now it is open but if they are closing all the other parking areas this one could be next.
(12-30-2021, 01:13 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think it is used as the tail head parking lot, for that trail just across the road but lots of people fish just below it as well and for now it is open but if they are closing all the other parking areas this one could be next.

Bass-poops. I don't even hardly ever fish there but I hate people who lock others out.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-29-2021, 05:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  They have carried through with their promise of putting up a gate at the Port ramp and it is closed, same with Cemetery point parking area, so there will be limited parking there this Winter. 

Jerk-weasels.  

I will do everything I can come up with to ensure they lose their contract, and/or make no money managing these public resources.
Who manages this and why are they allowed to close it fi is public?
It is a federal, so it does not have the same rules as a state park. They claim the reason they are closing it is because of vandalizim but until this year it was open every Winter, at least the Port ramp, they closed the Cemetery point lot a few years back at the beginning of Covid. Dubob has sent an email to them but has yet to receive a response. Welcome to the site.
(12-30-2021, 02:41 PM)rgriffit Wrote: Who manages this and why are they allowed to close it fi is public?
From May through September it is under contract by Utah Recreation Company.  From October through April, it is controled by the US Forest Service who owns it.  According to the the Ogden Ranger District Manager, there has been an extreme amount of vandialism and trashing of facilities in the winter and they don't have a full roster of staff to allow for proper upkeep in the winter.  Their words folks - not mine.

Machine access is non-existant at the present time.  Walk on access is very limited with almost all vehicle parking areas having their gates locked.  The Browning point walk-on access from Stringtown Rd (N 5900 E, Eden, UT) and possibly the Windsurfer Beach trail head (Utah Hwy 158) may be two that will still be open this winter.  A third possibility is the Pineview Beach area in the Middle Inlet area.  There is a parking lot there that didn't have a closed gate last Monday but I don't believe it is ever plowed and the walk to fishable ice from there is long.

Springbuck1 - railing against the contracter is useless as they are just there in the softwater season and have no say in winter closures.  That responsibility is 100% with the US Forest Service management.  I doubt you will find a willing ear to voice your concerns to, but if you feel you must, you might want to start with your Utah Federal Congressional members.  Utah Recreation Compnay could care less what happens when they aren't running the place and they are never hurting for willing customers in the summer months when they run the place.

If you are interested, the Ogden Ranger District put out this Recreation Update on Nov 30, 2021 that shows all the closures for the winter season.

Update

For me, Pineview is a lost cause for ice fishing.  If I can't use my SnowDog to get around, I have no interest in going there.  If you enjoy the walk-on approach, best of luck to you.  I look forward to seeing your reports.  Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Maybe the Forest Service needs to read their own update letter.
Found these two quotes from it. Not that it makes much difference since they make the rules

Top of page 2 under Things to Note.
Port Ramp is open all year, with fees only when occupied (in summer months) when hosts are
onsite.

Bottom of page 4 Port Ramp Boat Slip
Port Ramp is open all year, with fees only when hosts are on site with URC

Don't mind the walk from Browning Point but sounds like it will be very crowded this year. Till they close it too when the residents start complaining about the traffic.

Good luck on Pineview would like to know if the Crappie are increasing in size.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(12-30-2021, 03:35 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-30-2021, 02:41 PM)rgriffit Wrote: Who manages this and why are they allowed to close it fi is public?
From May through September it is under contract by Utah Recreation Company.  From October through April, it is controled by the US Forest Service who owns it.  According to the the Ogden Ranger District Manager, there has been an extreme amount of vandialism and trashing of facilities in the winter and they don't have a full roster of staff to allow for proper upkeep in the winter.  Their words folks - not mine.

Machine access is non-existant at the present time.  Walk on access is very limited with almost all vehicle parking areas having their gates locked.  The Browning point walk-on access from Stringtown Rd (N 5900 E, Eden, UT) and possibly the Windsurfer Beach trail head (Utah Hwy 158) may be two that will still be open this winter.  A third possibility is the Pineview Beach area in the Middle Inlet area.  There is a parking lot there that didn't have a closed gate last Monday but I don't believe it is ever plowed and the walk to fishable ice from there is long.

Springbuck1 - railing against the contracter is useless as they are just there in the softwater season and have no say in winter closures.  That responsibility is 100% with the US Forest Service management.  I doubt you will find a willing ear to voice your concerns to, but if you feel you must, you might want to start with your Utah Federal Congressional members.  Utah Recreation Compnay could care less what happens when they aren't running the place and they are never hurting for willing customers in the summer months when they run the place.

If you are interested, the Ogden Ranger District put out this Recreation Update on Nov 30, 2021 that shows all the closures for the winter season.

Update

For me, Pineview is a lost cause for ice fishing.  If I can't use my SnowDog to get around, I have no interest in going there.  If you enjoy the walk-on approach, best of luck to you.  I look forward to seeing your reports.  
Why do we have to put up with parking restrictions on tax-payer land. 

The French would dump piles of steaming fish guts on the Forest Service parking lots, and show some soludarity until the "government" started acting right. Perhaps the Constitution should also guarantee the right to bear angle-grinders. 

I've never, ever even SEEN a Ranger there in the last 30 years, just DWR. The only vandalism was some trash because they wouldn't leave and service garbage l dumpsters or keep a bathroom open.  If fishing Cemetery Point, rhe nearest bathroom is literally 20 minutes away, if you have to walk back to the car a ways. 

It's their own fault.  We talked about this last year, and I still believe the contractor COULD leave some parking open if they cared to be bothered.
(12-31-2021, 06:07 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: We talked about this last year, and I still believe the contractor COULD leave some parking open if they cared to be bothered.
Utah Recreation Company (the contractor) is only licensed to operate the Pineview facilities from May through September.  They have NO presence/control of the facilities outside their contract period.  The gate closures at Pineview during the ice fishing season are 100% controlled by the USFS, Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Ogden Ranger District.  The contractor is not a player here.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Anybody been up there recently and could give a report on conditions? Thanks
(01-02-2022, 11:53 PM)sharksugar101 Wrote: Anybody been up there recently and could give a report on conditions? Thanks

Did you see this report on the other PV thread:

(12-31-2021, 04:04 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: We fished it last night and ice was a good 4” thick and clear. We were on the north side of the dam at the trail head parking lot. Fished in about 27’ of water and caught a ton of smaller crappies. Only a few keepers which we threw back. Great fishing!! Good ice.

Jerk-weasels.  

I'm going to give away my age here. Windsurfer beach was known earlier as Wheelwright point. There used to be a boat ramp there; well more like a launching area, not what we are used to seeing today. Might have been before they raised the level of the Dam.
Just got back from night fishing windsurfer beach. Caught around 40 crappie could’ve caught more but have to work in the morning.