Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pie dinner
Found a good haul of crappie this morning. Interesting trying to locate them with water levels down. But they seemed to come in pairs. The best part was tying some ‘perdigon’ style flies and catching them on those Big Grin
[Image: 33129920-B1-DD-45-B6-B55-D-D12-B8-A7710-CF.jpg]

[Image: 90-EC4840-310-F-4-DF0-9969-06609-B002-E2-F.jpg]

[Image: D157-D063-AF8-B-496-C-B306-E005-DBB12-A85.jpg]

[Image: F82-A84-E4-64-C0-4-D58-91-F1-779596-D3-A2-B5.jpg]
(12-29-2021, 11:10 PM)theflycache Wrote: Found a good haul of crappie this morning. Interesting trying to locate them with water levels down. But they seemed to come in pairs. The best part was tying some ‘perdigon’ style flies and catching them on those Big Grin
[Image: 33129920-B1-DD-45-B6-B55-D-D12-B8-A7710-CF.jpg]

[Image: 90-EC4840-310-F-4-DF0-9969-06609-B002-E2-F.jpg]

[Image: D157-D063-AF8-B-496-C-B306-E005-DBB12-A85.jpg]

[Image: F82-A84-E4-64-C0-4-D58-91-F1-779596-D3-A2-B5.jpg]

Nicely done! Congrats.
Thanks for the report. Nice crappie and gill, did you measure any of them? What do perdigon’ style flies look like?
Ooooo, so mysterious!

(12-29-2021, 11:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report. Nice crappie and gill, did you measure any of them? What do perdigon’ style flies look like?

https://www.czechnymph.com/en/fly-fishin...%20already.

"Peridigon" means "pellet" auf der Spanisch-sprechen.
(12-29-2021, 11:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report. Nice crappie and gill, did you measure any of them? What do perdigon’ style flies look like?

I didn’t stick an actual tape on them but figured the biggest was 13” based off my ice scoop. Perdigons are just heavy tungsten flies used for tight line nymphing. I attached a pic.

[Image: 6-F2-DDD54-ED30-4-CCA-857-A-7277039-D660-E.jpg]
I thought they looked like they could be that big. Nice flies, were you tipping them with bait?
(12-30-2021, 01:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I thought they looked like they could be that big. Nice flies, were you tipping them with bait?

Yes, switched between spikes and wax worms. Didn’t seem to matter.
(12-30-2021, 02:21 PM)theflycache Wrote:
(12-30-2021, 01:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I thought they looked like they could be that big. Nice flies, were you tipping them with bait?

I know up your way spikes are easier to find but I been reading that wax worms are hard to find this year, can you share where you got yours?
I use perdigon flies quite bit when ice fishing. I also tie them on trout jig hooks with inverting beads so they hang more horizontal. Have both with me as usually one style works better than the other. Trout love them in bigger sizes. Prefer orange or purple for color followed by red and then black.
(12-30-2021, 05:52 PM)stan55 Wrote: I use perdigon flies quite bit when ice fishing. I also tie them on trout jig hooks with inverting beads so they hang more horizontal. Have both with me as usually one style works better than the other. Trout love them in bigger sizes. Prefer orange or purple for color followed by red and then black.
Hey Stan, I had never heard of perdigon’ style flies until theflycache brought them up, do you have any pics of them in the colors you mentioned?
(12-30-2021, 02:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I know up your way spikes are easier to find but I been reading that wax worms are hard to find this year, can you share where you got yours?

I got both waxies and spikes at Ridley’s in Hyrum. But I heard today all they had was mill worms.
(12-31-2021, 05:08 AM)theflycache Wrote:

I got both waxies and spikes at Ridley’s in Hyrum. But I heard today all they had was mill worms.

Good to know and thanks for the info. I don't get up there very often, unless I'm going to fish porcupine. Maybe a trip there might be in order, hopefully Ridley's will get a new supply in soon.
(12-31-2021, 02:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Good to know and thanks for the info. I don't get up there very often, unless I'm going to fish porcupine. Maybe a trip there might be in order, hopefully Ridley's will get a new supply in soon.
If you go and need company, I’d be happy to go!
(12-31-2021, 06:51 PM)theflycache Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 02:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-30-2021, 02:21 PM)theflycache Wrote: Yes, switched between spikes and wax worms. Didn’t seem to matter.

If you go and need company, I’d be happy to go!

Not sure when we would go but I can contact you when we decide.
[Image: 20220102-132532.jpg]

flies on left are perdigons right are using inverted beads. I'm in process of tying up flies for this season. My peridgon supply was depleted fly fishing. I have a bunch of friends who requested some during the summer in addition to the ones I used. I can post photos later this week of different colors if anyone cares. These are purples. I probably tie close to a thousand flies a year ranging from steelhead/salmon patterns down to midges.
(01-02-2022, 08:49 PM)stan55 Wrote: [Image: 20220102-132532.jpg]

flies on left are perdigons right are using inverted beads. I'm in process of tying up flies for this season. My peridgon supply was depleted fly fishing. I have a bunch of friends who requested some during the summer in addition to the ones I used. I can post photos later this week of different colors if anyone cares.  These are purples. I probably tie close to a thousand flies a year ranging from steelhead/salmon patterns down to midges.
Nice, thanks for posting those Stan, I can clearly see the one that is purple and In guess the other two on the right are black But what is the one in the L/H lower corner, is it silver and purple?
Great report and those flies look fantastic... I'll have to get a few, did you say you are selling them to Sportsmans Warehouse? Are they in the Logan store? Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-02-2022, 11:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 08:49 PM)stan55 Wrote: [Image: 20220102-132532.jpg]

flies on left are perdigons right are using inverted beads. I'm in process of tying up flies for this season. My peridgon supply was depleted fly fishing. I have a bunch of friends who requested some during the summer in addition to the ones I used. I can post photos later this week of different colors if anyone cares.  These are purples. I probably tie close to a thousand flies a year ranging from steelhead/salmon patterns down to midges.
Nice, thanks for posting those Stan, I can clearly see the one that is purple and In guess the other two on the right are black But what is the one in the L/H lower corner, is it silver and purple?

that is silver and purple. The others are purple and black but purple didn't show in photo. Size 18 hooks. I tie them from 14 to 20s.
This is always very interesting to me, how different lures work for different people. I get how fish, esp. bigger fish, might fall for something interesting an pretty they have never seen before Especially since those little nymphs are so beautiful, obviously sink well, and look for all the world like more interesting versions of actual invertebrate larvae that fish would want to eat. I see how downsizing a presentation can help when other methods fail, etc.....

But at the same time, as small as those are (14-20), what do they imitate with a spike hanging off their butt? Or, especially a wax-worm, which is bigger than they are? I assume it also dives head-first, but hangs head-up on a tight line. Do tiny nymphs DO that?

MY favorite crappie ice jig (for PV and Utah Lake at night, since this location is shrouded in mystery......) is quite large by comparison, but also a style I don't commonly see others using around here, has a slightly different "swooping" fall, and hangs at an angle that plays to a crappie rising to the bite, and the hook-point is positioned to maximize the chance of a good hook-set, even on a light bite.

Last year someone posted a video of boys catching crappie at night, but tipping with CORN, something I wouldn't have come up with on my own.

Anyway, this post isn't meant to be challenging, just still thinking and trying to learn.
Size 14 fly hooks are bigger than a wax worm. A size 8 ratfinkee for example is just about the same size as a 14 jig hook. I have no idea why fly hooks sizes are different than regular jigs but they are. I use spikes when I need to downsize to 18s. Using jig hooks and beads I get a 45 degree to almost horizontal hang angle. I also find the jigs work better after the waxie has been chomped a bit and what is left flutters like a tail. I also carry tungsten jigs to use with waxies. I tie them with a snell knot if I want a horizontal hang. Google it to see how to tie it.

I let the fish tell me what they want that day.