Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Ice
Fished Echo this morning.  Ice was 4" closer to shore, about 3" farther out.  It was clear and strong ice.  Water levels are sure low, only 18'-24' as I worked my way across the lake.  Caught several small perch (5"-6") and a couple nice ones.  Edges were soft right where it meets the shore.
(12-31-2021, 03:25 AM)icerman Wrote: Fished Echo this morning.  Ice was 4" closer to shore, about 3" farther out.  It was clear and strong ice.  Water levels are sure low, only 18'-24' as I worked my way across the lake.  Caught several small perch (5"-6") and a couple nice ones.  Edges were soft right where it meets the shore.

Thanks for the report, were you fishing by the dam?
I went to Echo today too.  I only caught two perch while my buddy sitting 5 ft away from me caught over 20. The ice is very solid.  We were fishing near the state park entrance. The bite was extremely light. We saw a few trout on the finder and even one swim right underneath my hole!  I like Echo, but today just wasn't my day. Have you ever tried Rockport? It's a little bit closer to where I live, but I haven't fished it near as much as Echo.
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)
(12-31-2021, 08:41 AM)Boundless Bryce Wrote: I went to Echo today too.  I only caught two perch while my buddy sitting 5 ft away from me caught over 20. The ice is very solid.  We were fishing near the state park entrance. The bite was extremely light. We saw a few trout on the finder and even one swim right underneath my hole!  I like Echo, but today just wasn't my day. Have you ever tried Rockport? It's a little bit closer to where I live, but I haven't fished it near as much as Echo.

Rockport is a great ice fishing destination. Along with the rainbow and brown trout, you can catch nice smallmouth and perch through the ice as well. I think there are kokanee salmon now there too. I saw groups of fish on my finder this past summer that made me think they were kokanee. I wouldn't consider it safe quite yet. I checked it this week and there are open patches of water still. Rockport has wind almost on a daily basis and it doesn't help when you want the lake to freeze up safely. I plan on checking it next week sometime. Deer creek has the same problem, and it doesn't freeze up every year. It is a shame it doesn't, it is my favorite Northern Utah reservoir to fish because it has my favorite species to catch open water or through the ice, the elusive walleye. 
Gabe
Thanks for the Rockport report.  

As far as fishing Echo, I was South of the boat ramp, away from the crowd.