Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo New Years Day
Was on Echo this morning.  -15 degrees when we pulled in at 6:45 AM.  Found 5 inches ice under 3 inches snow and 2 inches slush.
If today, New Years Day, is any indication of how the rest of the year is going to be I want to go back to 2016.

Got everything unloaded from the truck into the sleds.  Had laid the key fob for my truck on the dash after I had it locked while warming it before I left home, couldn't find it.  Luckily still had the keys, did find the fob when I cleaned out the truck.  Headed out southeast from the boat ramp.  Realized 100 yards out my phone had fallen out of my pocket.  Grabbed my brother's phone and headed back along the track we went out on calling mine, never did find it, so had to buy a new one after I got home.

My brother had gone on out and set up.  His Striker 4 decided to quit working.  I sat down on the tote I have in my sled with my extra clothes in and broke the lid.

We caught half a dozen 7-inch Perch in 19 feet of water, bite stopped as soon as the sun hit the ice, before we gave up and headed home by 10:00 AM.  Still -7 when we got back to the truck.

All in all, nice to get out for the first time this season but still a fairly miserable day.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Man that's a tough first outing.

Hope that the year improves you you guys.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Wow that first trip each year is just so we can learn what not to do. I've done that to.
It helps me to get better prepared, I usually make a list to help me not to forget my stuff. That's cold fishing -7.
Things turned around a last night.  My brother got a call from my phone.  A nice man named Daniel happened to find it.  After it warmed up it turned back on.  Was able to work to meet him at Echo this morning to get it back.  A big thank you if he happens to be on here.  Let's me know there are still good people around.

I didn't try it again today.  Looked like more people than yesterday and still just as cold.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.