Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Ready for the Ice
My Nov-Dec work schedule is beyond busy.  Being short staffed just made it worse this year.  I didn't wet a line or fire a single shot during that time.  1st year in as long as I can remember that I didn't even step foot in the marsh.  So it is finally over, and I can start to think about fishing again. 

1st project, attempt to fix the holes in the bottom of my large sled. It was the 1st one I ever bought and I used it hard on the ice and in the marsh.  I drug it over way too many things I shouldn't and had made it unusable in the marsh and less than ideal for ice fishing.  I bought another smaller sled a few years ago, but still kept the other one around.  I had attempted to fix it several times with bondo, but it would ultimately fail and begin leaking.  Flex seal didn't work either.  I read that you can try melting a plastic hanger and filling the holes.  So I got out my torch, cut a hanger into the appropriate size pieces, and started melting them in to place over the holes.  It took a few tries, but ultimately got them all filled, including a big 3x4" hole.  The plastic really adhered to the sled and I think it is going to hold.  I guess we'll see when I take it out, but I am really optimistic.  

I rounded up all my ice gear, including the rods and shelter, charged the vex, am now charging the batteries for the drill. I replaced 12 treble hooks on some jigging lures that I really like but was very unhappy with the fine wire treble hooks that they came with.  I went through my ice lures and plastics and got them ready.  Now I just need a day to go.  Hopefully this next weekend.  I am really looking forward to getting out and just winding down after a very busy holiday season.

Thanks to all that have posted their trips, it kept me going the last couple of months.
The good news is that the best ice is still ahead of us, so probably good timing to be ready now. I also fixed a sled in the off season, but bought a new one too. Used the old sled just before Christmas to help haul a cow elk off the mountain. It seemed to hold up okay.

Good luck when you do get out!

jack of all tackle, master of none
Paul, I love the details on your fix, I have a sled with holes in the rear end that needs the same thing and we put a hole in my favorite knee board playing on the snow with the kids over the holiday, so great info and very good timing for me... Thanks so much I'll see what I can do.... I tired melting the plastic on the kneeboard back together and it just didn't work, but with the filler I'll bet it will be great... Thanks for the tip and maybe we can circle the wagons or sleds soon... I'm expecting Hyrum to be a go this week if I didn't already miss the starting gun over there... See you on the ice soon... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!