Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua New Years Day--Not Hot At All
My grandson is home on leave from just graduating Air Force Special Ops, and today was the last chance to go, so his Dad talked me into hitting the ice somewhere with him...Wasn't sure I could talk myself into going, but past years we've done pretty good at Mantua on early ice, so that's where we went...Definitely Not So Hot...it was Downright Cold...4 deg. as we started walking our sleds out..maybe 30 or 40 people scattered out on the lake when we got there about 0800, maybe twice that many later on, mostly by the beach area..we weren't by the beach area...We followed a packed down path most of the way to 'my spot', but still using a solid pointy probe all the way, especially when getting off the beaten path...no issues, except I was a bit surprised how fast my drill went through..I would say 4" max, but we had no problems...I was also surprised hearing, and seeing, a guy traveling around in the middle with his Sno Dog, with extra sled and a passenger...that may have been pushing it...very slow, light bite the first half hour, couple dink perch, then got  a little better, and fairly consistent 'til about 1:00, and we left at 1:30...some rainbows, of course, some nicer 'gills, and just a couple of keeper perch..Would have been pretty miserable out there without our tents, at least the first couple hours, but about 11:00 I did venture out and drilled some new holes and sat with my back to the sun for awhile, and that felt ok...wind picked up as we were packing up, but all in all it was very good morning for all of us..couple other guys we talked to coming out didn't do well...Guluk out there, and be safe...
Great report. I was out there as well at my usual spot and I'll second that- fairly slow with a super light bite (the norm for that pond). Lots of pressure which is what I expected. Ice was a solid 3-4" with 6" of snow on top. Slushy in spots. Got into some smallish perch, couple nice bluegill and a bass for my efforts. I've seen it worse. Stay safe out there and good luck with the crowds.
[Image: PXL-20220101-200955274.jpg]

[Image: PXL-20220101-181301780-MP.jpg]
(01-02-2022, 06:07 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: My grandson is home on leave from just graduating Air Force Special Ops, and today was the last chance to go, so his Dad talked me into hitting the ice somewhere with him...Wasn't sure I could talk myself into going, but past years we've done pretty good at Mantua on early ice, so that's where we went...Definitely Not So Hot...it was Downright Cold...4 deg. as we started walking our sleds out..maybe 30 or 40 people scattered out on the lake when we got there about 0800, maybe twice that many later on, mostly by the beach area..we weren't by the beach area...We followed a packed down path most of the way to 'my spot', but still using a solid pointy probe all the way, especially when getting off the beaten path...no issues, except I was a bit surprised how fast my drill went through..I would say 4" max, but we had no problems...I was also surprised hearing, and seeing, a guy traveling around in the middle with his Sno Dog, with extra sled and a passenger...that may have been pushing it...very slow, light bite the first half hour, couple dink perch, then got  a little better, and fairly consistent 'til about 1:00, and we left at 1:30...some rainbows, of course, some nicer 'gills, and just a couple of keeper perch..Would have been pretty miserable out there without our tents, at least the first couple hours, but about 11:00 I did venture out and drilled some new holes and sat with my back to the sun for awhile, and that felt ok...wind picked up as we were packing up, but all in all it was very good morning for all of us..couple other guys we talked to coming out didn't do well...Guluk out there, and be safe...
Joe,

Give Earl or I a call when you're ready to go again.  We're going to Echo tomorrow.  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-02-2022, 02:13 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 06:07 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: My grandson is home on leave from just graduating Air Force Special Ops, and today was the last chance to go, so his Dad talked me into hitting the ice somewhere with him...Wasn't sure I could talk myself into going, but past years we've done pretty good at Mantua on early ice, so that's where we went...Definitely Not So Hot...it was Downright Cold...4 deg. as we started walking our sleds out..maybe 30 or 40 people scattered out on the lake when we got there about 0800, maybe twice that many later on, mostly by the beach area..we weren't by the beach area...We followed a packed down path most of the way to 'my spot', but still using a solid pointy probe all the way, especially when getting off the beaten path...no issues, except I was a bit surprised how fast my drill went through..I would say 4" max, but we had no problems...I was also surprised hearing, and seeing, a guy traveling around in the middle with his Sno Dog, with extra sled and a passenger...that may have been pushing it...very slow, light bite the first half hour, couple dink perch, then got  a little better, and fairly consistent 'til about 1:00, and we left at 1:30...some rainbows, of course, some nicer 'gills, and just a couple of keeper perch..Would have been pretty miserable out there without our tents, at least the first couple hours, but about 11:00 I did venture out and drilled some new holes and sat with my back to the sun for awhile, and that felt ok...wind picked up as we were packing up, but all in all it was very good morning for all of us..couple other guys we talked to coming out didn't do well...Guluk out there, and be safe...
Joe,

Give Earl or I a call when you're ready to go again.  We're going to Echo tomorrow.  

We will keep an eye out for you Bob, we will be there as well tomorrow.