Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rockport 1/02/21
Went to rockport yesterday arrived around 
9:00 went just off the boat ramp about 100
Yards ice was 3 inches at the most had a few
Bites no hook up only stayed for about one hour didn't Fincher off to far there was only about 10 small groups on the lake i will fill more safe next week to try more area's I was only in 15 feet of water but it was a nice day anyway 
(01-03-2022, 05:40 PM)Wando59 Wrote: Went to rockport yesterday arrived around 
Bites no hook up only stayed for about one hour didn't Fincher off to far there was only about 10 small groups on the lake i will fill more safe next week to try more area's I was only in 15 feet of water but it was a nice day anyway 
Thanks for the report. I was thinking of going Saturday morning on a perch search.
Gabe

I just got back from a trip to Rockport. I was on the west side and the ice is not consistent. I drilled a hole just off the bank and got around 2.5 inches. Went out a bit farther where there was snow on the ice and came up with just over 1 inch. Walked off carefully and went farther down the bank line. What I found was that the ice where the wind has cleaned off the snow was 4 inches. 2.5 inches of ice with 1.5 inches of frozen slush. I tried for a while in about 11 feet of water and only got one bite. I decided to weave around just walking only on the scoured areas and got out in 43 feet of water. I saw some trout at 15 feet and dropped a rig down and instantly had a nice one on. It was a brown about 18 inches long. Hurried up and dropped the line back down and had another nice one on, unfortunately it broke my tube jig off. I wasn't able to find the perch but wandering around on that ice was not something I wanted to do. Hopefully by the next weekend it will grow some more.
(01-03-2022, 11:32 PM)JeepNut Wrote:

I just got back from a trip to Rockport. I was on the west side and the ice is not consistent. I drilled a hole just off the bank and got around 2.5 inches. Went out a bit farther where there was snow on the ice and came up with just over 1 inch. Walked off carefully and went farther down the bank line. What I found was that the ice where the wind has cleaned off the snow was 4 inches. 2.5 inches of ice with 1.5 inches of frozen slush. I tried for a while in about 11 feet of water and only got one bite. I decided to weave around just walking only on the scoured areas and got out in 43 feet of water. I saw some trout at 15 feet and dropped a rig down and instantly had a nice one on. It was a brown about 18 inches long. Hurried up and dropped the line back down and had another nice one on, unfortunately it broke my tube jig off. I wasn't able to find the perch but wandering around on that ice was not something I wanted to do. Hopefully by the next weekend it will grow some more.

Thanks for the reports you two, sounds too thin for me but maybe by next week, especially if these cold temps continue.

Was there yesterday as well. Did not turn out like I planned at all! BE VERY CAREFUL if you venture out on that ice--particularly as JeepNut stated on those snow patches. Started out from the ramp and drilled--only on the frosted ice, not the snow patches which was a BIG mistake--out to the river channel in 42' of water. Not much on the finder and 3.5" of ice everywhere I drilled. I then headed towards the rocky point and crossed one of those snowy patches. As I walked I heard slight cracking and thought it was just the top layer of snow/slush. WRONG! The bottom fell out and in I went. Lucky there was a guy about 30 yards away who came to my assistance. I didn't need any, thank God, but was encouraged that at least someone was near. I was benefited greatly by my Frabill ice coveralls and mickey mouse boots that kept me slightly afloat and able to easily flatten out as I tried to gain purchase on the disintegrating ice. Finally, after about six feet or so I was able to kick enough to gain solid ice and pulled myself out. That'll get your heart going! My heavy sled sat at the opposite edge of the large hole I had just created. Thank you, thank you to the kind gentleman that got behind my sled and pulled it back from the abyss. 

Lessons learned: fishing alone on first ice is not a good idea; did not check ice thickness on the snowy patches--that I should have; did not have a spud bar--that I should have; had my hand spikes in my pocket--instead of accessible  around my neck; did not have my sled strap around my body--that may have saved my life--need a longer sled strap; took the advice from previous posts about laying flat and and kicking my feet; glad for flotation coveralls--with Carharts or other cloth clothing that could have weighed me down and under--as it was, I really only went in to my waist and easily flattened out; was warned to be extremely careful out there and was not, obviously!

I was hesitant to post this because of all the stupid mistakes I made but---figured with the snow/rain and warm forecast this week, the snowy, and then avoidable, patches on Rockport would be covered and become very dangerous indeed. I hope it keeps someone else from going in. Again, thank you to the gentleman that came to my assistance!!  I'm glad it turned out that the only damage was to my pride and my old iPhone. Be careful out there!!
Great report, thank you for educating us all.
A stupid man fails to learn, and must do it his own way.
Glad you were OK Dayfish, that had to be a very scary situation, glad everything turned out OK. I'm glad you posted about your experience, helps me make up my mind about where not to go next week.
(01-04-2022, 06:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Glad you were OK Dayfish, that had to be a very scary situation, glad everything turned out OK. I'm glad you posted about your experience, helps me make up my mind about where not to go next week.

Thanks Kurt--me too! Freaked me out for a minute there. If it snows that place would be extremely scary, especially with the temps predicted. Makes me wonder how they are going to hold that 500 hole tourney there in a couple of weeks. Will have to get seriously cold before then.

(01-04-2022, 03:53 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Great report, thank you for educating us all.
A stupid man fails to learn, and must do it his own way.

Most welcome. I have been ice fishing for years and there is a first time for everything I guess. I learned a lot yesterday--more than I wanted but not more than I needed!
Glad your OK and made it out.
I often miss some darn good early ice fishing because I am afraid of what happened to you. No doubt those clothes helped save you.
When prospecting early ice it is best to wear a PFD and drag a rope along behind you, already tied around you and the rest just trailing along so anyone, like the guy near enough to help you, can just grab it and haul you out.
I went through when I was 23 and strong, after that I would only walk in car tracks for a while.
(01-04-2022, 03:01 PM)Dayfish Wrote:

Was there yesterday as well. Did not turn out like I planned at all! BE VERY CAREFUL if you venture out on that ice--particularly as JeepNut stated on those snow patches. Started out from the ramp and drilled--only on the frosted ice, not the snow patches which was a BIG mistake--out to the river channel in 42' of water. Not much on the finder and 3.5" of ice everywhere I drilled. I then headed towards the rocky point and crossed one of those snowy patches. As I walked I heard slight cracking and thought it was just the top layer of snow/slush. WRONG! The bottom fell out and in I went. Lucky there was a guy about 30 yards away who came to my assistance. I didn't need any, thank God, but was encouraged that at least someone was near. I was benefited greatly by my Frabill ice coveralls and mickey mouse boots that kept me slightly afloat and able to easily flatten out as I tried to gain purchase on the disintegrating ice. Finally, after about six feet or so I was able to kick enough to gain solid ice and pulled myself out. That'll get your heart going! My heavy sled sat at the opposite edge of the large hole I had just created. Thank you, thank you to the kind gentleman that got behind my sled and pulled it back from the abyss. 

Lessons learned: fishing alone on first ice is not a good idea; did not check ice thickness on the snowy patches--that I should have; did not have a spud bar--that I should have; had my hand spikes in my pocket--instead of accessible  around my neck; did not have my sled strap around my body--that may have saved my life--need a longer sled strap; took the advice from previous posts about laying flat and and kicking my feet; glad for flotation coveralls--with Carharts or other cloth clothing that could have weighed me down and under--as it was, I really only went in to my waist and easily flattened out; was warned to be extremely careful out there and was not, obviously!

I was hesitant to post this because of all the stupid mistakes I made but---figured with the snow/rain and warm forecast this week, the snowy, and then avoidable, patches on Rockport would be covered and become very dangerous indeed. I hope it keeps someone else from going in. Again, thank you to the gentleman that came to my assistance!!  I'm glad it turned out that the only damage was to my pride and my old iPhone. Be careful out there!!

Rockport is definitely not safe and there’s 3 days of warm temps that are going to make it more unsafe. I was there the same day you fell in and I started on 3” of ice but found my self on a couple spots that were about 1”-1.5”. I was lucky not to have had the same fate but back on the spots that were 3” I couldn’t pay a fish to bite my line in 4 hours.
(01-05-2022, 02:00 PM)T-Boz Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 03:01 PM)Dayfish Wrote:

Rockport is definitely not safe and there’s 3 days of warm temps that are going to make it more unsafe. I was there the same day you fell in and I started on 3” of ice but found my self on a couple spots that were about 1”-1.5”. I was lucky not to have had the same fate but back on the spots that were 3” I couldn’t pay a fish to bite my line in 4 hours.

Glad you didn't get to experience that thrill ride. I only fished for about 20 minutes but same result--nada. I talked to a guy who came off about the same time I did and he said he was one of the first ones out that morning and although his ff and camera showed many fish he had no bites no takers. Weird! But that's fishing I guess.