Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo today, Jan. 3
Really nice to get out this A.M. with DuBob at Echo...Marina/boat ramp area access still open, I believe 'til 22 Jan...Our friend Earl joined us at about 12:30, but basic perch activity was done about 11:30...I did manage 2 nicer ones, and 4 in the 8 to 8.5" range, but by far Bob and I were busiest with the 6 to 7.5"ers...and they did keep us pretty busy at times...Bob played with a couple trout for awhile, I kept both mine down for the perch, which we found at about 40 fow...ice about 5" solid, very cold to start (-4) but it felt much better when the sun came out for awhile and warmed my tent..wind started around 11:00, (could that put the kabosh on the bite?) Overall very good A.M. out on the hard water..tks again Bob..
Sounds like a fun trip, and you didn't mention the size of the nicer ones.... how big did you find them? I'm wondering about trying the fish tomorrow in the middle of the storm... Wondering if they will bite then? I'd hoped Hyrum would be ready, but when they got the cameras fixed yesterday there was still some open water, so this wind and warm temps will probably ruin what was almost looking like time for a thin ice adventure... Thanks again for your post... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
We've pulled perch at night, good weather, sever weather when your afraid to leave the tent, I feel they're a pretty opportunistic feeder. I love fishing at night on the ice and echo is great for it
(01-04-2022, 04:51 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Really nice to get out this A.M. with DuBob at Echo...Marina/boat ramp area access still open, I believe 'til 22 Jan...Our friend Earl joined us at about 12:30, but basic perch activity was done about 11:30...I did manage 2 nicer ones, and 4 in the 8 to 8.5" range, but by far Bob and I were busiest with the 6 to 7.5"ers...and they did keep us pretty busy at times...Bob played with a couple trout for awhile, I kept both mine down for the perch, which we found at about 40 fow...ice about 5" solid, very cold to start (-4) but it felt much better when the sun came out for awhile and warmed my tent..wind started around 11:00, (could that put the kabosh on the bite?) Overall very good A.M. out on the hard water..tks again Bob..
Any time Joe.  I got one trout to the hole before he flipped me the 'tail' and was gone.  Had to be at least 30" long.   Big Grin

Perch lip rippin' was better in the morning and as Joe indicated it slowed down mid day.  My FLX28 battery ran out of voltage about 11 AM; first time that every happened.  Man, it's hard fishing blind.  And the battery is only 5 years old.  Ya just can't find good stuff these days.   Cool

With temps here in the valley for the next week being on the warm side, I hope the temps on the Wasatch back side stay below 32.  I really would like to hit Rockport & Hyrum next week.

My count on the perch was right at 30 for the day.  Joe was close to that if not over.  Just about anything with a perch eye attached worked just fine.

How did you and Ira do Curt?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-04-2022, 04:55 PM)dubob Wrote: My FLX28 battery ran out of voltage about 11 AM; first time that every happened.  Man, it's hard fishing blind.  And the battery is only 5 years old.  Ya just can't find good stuff these days.   

Hey Bob cabela's still has the deal going on the marcum brute lithium if your interested. Won't find one anywhere cheaper than that. I've been really happy with mine so much that I ordered another last week

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/marcum-b...um%20brute
(01-04-2022, 05:12 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 04:55 PM)dubob Wrote: My FLX28 battery ran out of voltage about 11 AM; first time that every happened.  Man, it's hard fishing blind.  And the battery is only 5 years old.  Ya just can't find good stuff these days.   

Hey Bob cabela's still has the deal going on the marcum brute lithium if your interested. Won't find one anywhere cheaper than that. I've been really happy with mine so much that I ordered another last week

Thanks Matt.  I already ordered the Vexilar barnd from Amazon for the same price.  The Vexilar brand battery has circuitry built in to it so that it will work with the Vexilar charger.  The Marcum would require a seperate charger.  The bad news is delivery is set at 17 to 27 Jan right now.  I hope it come earlier than that.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-04-2022, 05:42 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 05:12 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote:

Thanks Matt.  I already ordered the Vexilar barnd from Amazon for the same price.  The Vexilar brand battery has circuitry built in to it so that it will work with the Vexilar charger.  The Marcum would require a seperate charger.  The bad news is delivery is set at 17 to 27 Jan right now.  I hope it come earlier than that.

Sounds good. That marcum brute does come with a charger also
(01-04-2022, 12:08 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a fun trip, and you didn't mention the size of the nicer ones.... how big did you find them? I'm wondering about trying the fish tomorrow in the middle of the storm... Wondering if they will bite then?  I'd hoped Hyrum would be ready, but when they got the cameras fixed yesterday there was still some open water, so this wind and warm temps will probably ruin what was almost looking like time for a thin ice adventure... Thanks again for your post... Later J

Yup, it was a good trip...upon hoisting in those 2 'nicer ones', I thought they were closer to 11", but they apparently shrunk a little and measured 10" at home... Rolleyes Hope the ice stays with us...
(01-04-2022, 01:17 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: We've pulled perch at night, good weather, sever weather when your afraid to leave the tent, I feel they're a pretty opportunistic feeder. I love fishing at night on the ice and echo is great for it

Interesting.  At PV, I've only caught a handful of perch after "real" dark, and just automatically switch to crappie. 

I have caught a bunch at UL in the dark, though, since they started showing up.
(01-04-2022, 04:55 PM)dubob Wrote: How did you and Ira do Curt?

Not really sure how Ira did overall but I did much better than the week before, 4 times better but none were over 9" and none were trout. Ira on the other hand caught several trout one being a nice brown, that you can see on the contest board, if you are interested.
(01-06-2022, 06:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not really sure how Ira did overall but I did much better than the week before, 4 times better but none were over 9" and none were trout. Ira on the other hand caught several trout one being a nice brown, that you can see on the contest board, if you are interested.

I'm hoping to go Saturday,  how much snow can I expect to find at echo?
(01-07-2022, 04:41 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I drove by earlier today and it had water on top of the ice. My guess would be none to maybe a skiff.
Gabe
(01-07-2022, 04:41 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I agree with Gabe, on Tues there was about twice the snow there as the week before around 4" but with these warmer temps it sure isn't looking good for any fresh snow, maybe nothing but slush at this point. The main gate will only be open until the 10th after that it's a long haul from that East campground, which won't be fun if all the snow is melted.