Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slush Bowl
[Image: 000-0003.jpg]

Sorry for the non-related photo... but the computer wouldn't start a post so I had to do something to get it working...
Anyway went to Newton today to give it a good ole try.... Started out at 6:30, but was 9:00 before I got my line in the water after having to get fuel and load up and then the drifts on the way out of Newton... A snowplow missed the turn and ended up off the road, didn't think my GMC would get him back on, so said hey and continued on to the pond... Snow turned to rain shortly after I got on the lake and my nice dry spot I was fishing turned into 3-4" of water and slush by go home time... Fish were really finicky to start out and I was afraid I may take home my first skunking in a long time, but about noon the tides turned and I ended up catching a couple bass and 4-5 perch, but I had to work for all of them.... Except the one bass, it roared in and nailed it.... like a good fish should do... Best bass was 13, and worst was 12.5..... Perch were 8-8.5"..... I ended up having to down size my offering a bunch then the fish finally would take it into their mouths... Drove me nuts watching all those fish on the camera just nip at the bait.... Not sure if the down sizing or time of day turned them on, but most of my fish came in about an hours time, then they quit biting again... Sure was a cold day for me even though I had the tent, I guess I got wet to start off and it really chilled me to the bone, so wasn't the most comfy day... When it was time to go I ended up making a wake with the snowmobile and two sleds as I slopped out out there... Anyway if your going to fish Newton in the next little while make sure you have good high topped water proof boots and be ready for a sloppy mess.... Hope this condition will correct itself soon, but I expect it will take till after the storm ends and the cool temps return to correct itself...

I really should have moved today, but somehow when I set up all the gear in a sloppy windy day it's pretty hard to get motivated to move and reset... I'll see if I can find a real photo to add... Later J

Here’s a bass, sorry no photos of slushy mess. 

[Image: 88-ECF660-BEE5-4897-B98-A-D937-A3-F16-E62.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Here are two video's that were kind of fun... and not too long....
https://youtu.be/LCbowmUjhsA (Tiger Musky on TV)
https://youtu.be/mcE7jroXczM (Nice bass caught by nephew)
Sounds like a heck of an outing Jeff. Good thing the bass. and perch started feeding. This warm up and snow is definitely going to make it messy. If they don't open the hwy to the gorge in the morn we'll probably head that way.
Good luck Matt whichever direction you end up going... I hope the water on top of the ice finds it's way down the holes so it will dry out a little by morning... I think they are forecasting continued storm, so I'm not sure it will freeze much tonight... But it was still fun and maybe they will eat better tomorrow... Good luck... Jeff
So, I was going to head to Newton on Saturday. I was out there on Monday. Where did you fish? Up the lake from the parking area? or were you around the boat ramp? The guys I talked to on Monday were fishing all the way to the north end of the parking lot and actually going up-lake from there about 200 yards. The guys down from where you park the boat trailers and down towards the dam were not catching anything. Just curious. Thanks!
Hey Scott I've been fishing the main body south of the parking area, I've heard rumors of better fishing up north, but I haven't ventured up there yet... Guess old habits die hard and the spot I fish always has fish, but they may not bite very well... I think I'll have to learn to try other areas though I worked too hard to catch too few last trip... I have been finding more fish on the areas where the water remained during the low water period... I think the areas that went dry don't have the plant or bio life to draw the fish into them... Just a guess, but my graph has shown a lot more fish in those areas... Later Jeff
That's my boy out fishing us!!
Yup he sure did. Way to go Landon.