Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Rockport edges???
We're heading up to Rockport in the morning.  Reports are that the ice thickness is good to go for machines.  But not a word about how the edges are holding up.  Is the reservoir being filled and causing wide gaps along the edge or is it fairly stable right now with strong edges?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-17-2022, 04:34 PM)dubob Wrote: We're heading up to Rockport in the morning.  Reports are that the ice thickness is good to go for machines.  But not a word about how the edges are holding up.  Is the reservoir being filled and causing wide gaps along the edge or is it fairly stable right now with strong edges?

I was out on it last week. I checked it last Tuesday and the edge was only a little soft. It gets cold there at night so Im guessing it should be okay. I accessed from the west side. Didn't have much fishing time but more of a look to see if I could get to my spot. 
Gabe
(01-17-2022, 04:34 PM)dubob Wrote: We're heading up to Rockport in the morning.  Reports are that the ice thickness is good to go for machines.  But not a word about how the edges are holding up.  Is the reservoir being filled and causing wide gaps along the edge or is it fairly stable right now with strong edges?

Not sure about the edges but here is a link to the reservoir level.  

It looks like it's coming up pretty good.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/hydrodata/reservoir_data/947/dashboard.html

Good Luck!
Based on the USBR data over the last 9 days, the reservoir is coming up anywhere from 1.8" to 4.3" per day.  Here are the daily elevation increases in inches.

(17-Jan) - 3.96
(16-Jan) - 3.72"
(15-Jan) - 4.32"
(14-Jan) - 4.2"
(13-Jan) - 4.08"
(12-Jan) - 1.8"
(11-Jan) - 2.04"
(10-Jan) - 2.16"
(09-Jan) - 2.52"

I have 6' planks for the Dog, so I'm hoping I'll be okay to get on and off.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
You would not have needed planks on last Fri/Sat. The very edge was a little soft. Just throttle down and send it. You’ll be fine. Saturday morning was one of the coldest mornings I’ve had on the ice- and there was no wind. If your machine isn’t studded, I wouldn’t even attempt it. The ice is way slick. If your machine is studded, be careful with the sled whip. My sleds want to pass me up on ice like that.
(01-18-2022, 02:45 AM)MACMAN Wrote: You would not have needed planks on last Fri/Sat. The very edge was a little soft. Just throttle down and send it. You’ll be fine. Saturday morning was one of the coldest mornings I’ve had on the ice- and there was no wind. If your machine isn’t studded, I wouldn’t even attempt it. The ice is way slick. If your machine is studded, be careful with the sled whip. My sleds want to pass me up on ice like that.
Got on and off without any issues.  My dog has a studded track.  Slickest ice I've ever been on.  All sleds whiplashed at any speed over 2 mph.  Fishing was good for perch.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(01-19-2022, 02:23 AM)dubob Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 02:45 AM)MACMAN Wrote: You would not have needed planks on last Fri/Sat. The very edge was a little soft. Just throttle down and send it. You’ll be fine. Saturday morning was one of the coldest mornings I’ve had on the ice- and there was no wind. If your machine isn’t studded, I wouldn’t even attempt it. The ice is way slick. If your machine is studded, be careful with the sled whip. My sleds want to pass me up on ice like that.
Got on and off without any issues.  My dog has a studded track.  Slickest ice I've ever been on.  All sleds whiplashed at any speed over 2 mph.  Fishing was good for perch.

Where are your beautiful photos Ducks Unlimited Robert?  No pictures, no fish!

Mike
Fished the west side today 9-11:30 in 30 FOW. Found the perch right away caught about 25 roughly and sent only 5-6 back down. Kept the 8-10”ers for the frying pan. It was fast and furious until about 11 and turned off. No trout action to be had on my dead sticks 
[Image: BE06060-F-685-D-445-E-87-C6-D555-F5194-A82.jpg]
(01-19-2022, 02:32 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Fished the west side today 9-11:30 in 30 FOW. Found the perch right away caught about 25 roughly and sent only 5-6 back down. Kept the 8-10”ers for the frying pan. It was fast and furious until about 11 and turned off. No trout action to be had on my dead sticks 

Sounds like you had a good morning on the ice and for only fishing 2.5 hrs you did great. What kind of jigs were you using, if you don't mind me asking?
(01-19-2022, 03:36 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 02:32 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Fished the west side today 9-11:30 in 30 FOW. Found the perch right away caught about 25 roughly and sent only 5-6 back down. Kept the 8-10”ers for the frying pan. It was fast and furious until about 11 and turned off. No trout action to be had on my dead sticks 

Sounds like you had a good morning on the ice and for only fishing 2.5 hrs you did great. What kind of jigs were you using, if you don't mind me asking?

I just use a small silver spoon with a treble and a meal worm then perch eye from there.
(01-19-2022, 02:27 AM)TopH2O Wrote: Where are your beautiful photos Ducks Unlimited Robert?  No pictures, no fish!

Mike
To darn busy catching to take pictures Mike.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I've only fished Rockport once and that was eons ago.  I'd like to learn it though as it is close to SLC.  Looking moreso for perch than trout.  With it being ice season I could just "poach" old holes, but want to ask a general then specific question here.  Here's the general one - Is fishing for perch better in the upper or lower end of the reservoir and does west or east generally do better...or does it matter?

Now my specific question - The attached photo shows a marker near a deep flat about 36-38' deep.  This looks good to me as I can move shallower or deeper quickly from 30' and the flat may hold fish?  Just curious if I'm seeing it right.  Thanks!

[Image: Screenshot-20220119-070815-Boating.jpg]

I've only fished Rockport once and that was eons ago.  I'd like to learn it though as it is close to SLC.  Looking moreso for perch than trout.  With it being ice season I could just "poach" old holes, but want to ask a general then specific question here.  Here's the general one - Is fishing for perch better in the upper or lower end of the reservoir and does west or east generally do better...or does it matter?

Now my specific question - The attached photo shows a marker near a deep flat about 36-38' deep.  This looks good to me as I can move shallower or deeper quickly from 30' and the flat may hold fish?  Just curious if I'm seeing it right.  Thanks!

It's hard to say from that pic but that area appears to be out ot the water. Just read recent reports and use that as you guide as to where to go and the depth to fish. We usually fish the flats in 24 to 30 fow when we fish there. Good luck.
Will the ice support atv's
(01-19-2022, 06:10 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Will the ice support atv's

I haven't read a report but Dubob said he was going to be out there yesterday with his snowdog, so if he had no problems I'd think an ATV would be ok.
(01-19-2022, 07:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 06:10 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Will the ice support atv's

I haven't read a report but Dubob said he was going to be out there yesterday with his snowdog, so if he had no problems I'd think an ATV would be ok.
There were 2 dogs, a snowmobile, and an ATV w/ tracks out on the ice yesterday.  Slickest ice I've ever been on.  I'm VERY glad I studded my track.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(01-19-2022, 02:11 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: I've only fished Rockport once and that was eons ago.  I'd like to learn it though as it is close to SLC.  Looking moreso for perch than trout.  With it being ice season I could just "poach" old holes, but want to ask a general then specific question here.  Here's the general one - Is fishing for perch better in the upper or lower end of the reservoir and does west or east generally do better...or does it matter?

You did say "I'd like to learn it though".... Seems to me the best way to learn a place is just to try it out, move around 'til you're satisfied with what you find....that way you're actually 'fishing'...otherwise if you're just going where someone tells you to go, you're eliminating that step of the 'fishing' equation.. IMO, you'll have a more satisfying trip once YOU'VE found your spot and you're fighting fish....Guluk...tell us how you did, but not exactly where you were...