Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln drive by. ICE BEGONE!!
Had to run around a bit today took a detour, harbor is thawing looks like most the lake is ice free. they look like there on there tippy toes at 1st spring, good to see it starting to get covered up,    it wont be to long. 
[Image: IMG-20220122-132102695.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220122-132216944.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220122-133232573.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220122-132224136.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks for the drive by, not looking good for ice fisherman at UL.
Could you hear the walleye voices calling for you to come get them?   Wondering what the water levels will be like on your usual spots.

Should have your new stuff ready about the first of the week.
(01-23-2022, 12:54 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Could you hear the walleye voices calling for you to come get them?   Wondering what the water levels will be like on your usual spots.

Should have your new stuff ready about the first of the week.
Provo harbor looks like swiss cheese on the camera and tehy are walking all over it.

I heard them, it was louder with all that ice,  a guy could wade out and fish for them, my twitch aint quite that bad YET.  however arrangements can be made if needed Big Grin   

lake level is at 58% lowest wat 49% last fall, 4.20 ft to compromise,    the harbor is low but they where launching last fall so not to worried, just have to trim up or little motor until depth in the channel is confirmed,

boat is ready, poles ready, jigs painted, plastics sorted, 

the spot where I limited twice last year is out of the water right now, but was only in 2 ft last year,  I have other spots that seem better low water verses high, If the water stays low I think the island will be better early for eh big girls,   usually looking for -4 ft water to throw jigs, I have several spots to fish, most have big jig eaters,  

Been working on a side planer set up, I think will work later in the spring,  want to try for big girls with also, talked to a old timer that told me they would troll with thin fins early in the year,, will see, 

Let me know how much,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(01-23-2022, 02:58 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Been working on a side planer set up, I think will work later in the spring,  want to try for big girls with also, talked to a old timer that told me they would troll with thin fins early in the year,, will see, 
Yeah, many walleye moons ago Thin Fins were the "go to" lure for walleyes on Utah Lake (Willard too).  Once the lake level began dropping...after the spring walleye onslaught...you could get out of the boat on Bird Island and walk around the shorline picking up snagged Thin Fins by the bushel.  And on some days the snagged floaters would pop free and come to the surface for easy pickup.  Those lures seem to run at just about the right depth for walleyes.  So running them on planer boards is a proven way to get the boat shy fishies.  I know of a couple of guys who still work them over the flats during post spawn...off Lincoln Beach and Lindon particularly.

It was interesting to watch the evolution of sexy plastic baits...and to witness the skills developed by serious walleye warriors over time.  Not sure that Thin Fins were ever any better than the modern plastics but they can give you an extra dimension on those days when your plastics ain't gettin' no love.