Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing down the tradition!
My 5 year old girl missed me ice fishing yesterday and said next time she wants to go.... 8am today here she comes all bundled up and ready.. so we made coffee and hot coco and headed over to grantsville,  no tent or anything.  We stayed 2 hours and ended up with 10 bows, kept 4 for dinner. She absolutely loved it..  infact the weather was so nice she decided to try some tanning... can't wait she wants to go again next weekend!! I went back for the evening bite and got 12 more bows. 
[Image: 20220123-121558.jpg]

[Image: 20220123-120614.jpg]

[Image: 20220123-122740.jpg]
(01-24-2022, 12:03 AM)Fritzfishin Wrote: My 5 year old girl missed me ice fishing yesterday and said next time she wants to go.... 8am today here she comes all bundled up and ready.. so we made coffee and hot coco and headed over to grantsville,  no tent or anything.  We stayed 2 hours and ended up with 10 bows, kept 4 for dinner. She absolutely loved it..  infact the weather was so nice she decided to try some tanning... can't wait she wants to go again next weekend!! I went back for the evening bite and got 12 more bows. 
[Image: 20220123-121558.jpg]

[Image: 20220123-120614.jpg]

[Image: 20220123-122740.jpg]

Thats awesome, I use to have to get donuts every time, but is well worth it, always make sure you have snacks and entertainment,  

[Image: IMG-20130324-141934-007.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20150620-082904875-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200223-135813166.jpg]

[Image: 7132.jpg]
still get them,   chocolate ones.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
If I bring my own coco and promise not to sun tan - can I go next time
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Good job! The best thing I ever did was start my boys fishing with me early on. We have common ground forever. Now I have created a fishing monster that I can barely keep up with!
Awesome! I wish my 16 year old girl liked fishing, but she never took to it. My 13 year old boy loves it though. Those times in the hills or on the lakes are special indeed.
Ya luckily she goes fishing, she's been on quite a few hunts, and she has a booster seat in my side by side to help me check cameras all summer. When you wake up a 5 year old up at 3am to go spot moose and she just gets up and gets ready you know she's gonna be a tough little outdoors woman!
Here's her shooting... she wants to shoot a ambalope...
[Image: Screenshot-20210621-074341-Photos.jpg]
That's the best of times.... Hope she don't outgrow it like mine did... but it was sure fun while it lasted... Now she'll humor me once in a while, but I know there are other things she'd rather be doing... Kids are great! Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Keep it going as long as you can those memories are irreplaceable.
Making memories with your kids is the cream of the crop. I applaud ya sir. I've been fortunate to raise two kids who absolutely love and live to hunt and fish. We have a daughter and a son and they both have killed turkeys, deer, coyotes, chuckars and a bunch of other stuff. They helped me pack bait all summer on my bear hunt with not one complaint. To me the key is to always make it fun. Slow down and just enjoy the time together. Always a blast to spend time with the kids.
Yeah, it's a lot easier to slow it down when you get older. I'm locked in low&under now. As I say, I'm slow but I'm good. Just right for the kiddoes.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

One thing I did this year was to do the mentor hunter program
Just learned of it this year but I am planning on it every year. I have got a lifetime license so I get a deer tag each year.
This year our 12 yr old grand daughter harvested my deer. Next year I am planning on a 13 yr old grandson. From now on it will be pretty much a diff. grand child each year as they are pretty well stacked up in order. Got a couple that will need to draw for the first opportunity as they are the same age but the runner up will get it the next year.
I'm just curious what caliber your granddaughter used. My son has his oldest daughter shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and they went after elk this year. She's a skinny 12 y.o. What are your thoughts?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have always believed in getting kids into fishing...as early as they are ready for it.  Note one of the attached pictures of me helping a toddler grandson to catch a small green sunfish. 

TubeBabe and I got married in 1979...both of us bringing kids from a former failed marriage.  I had already gotten my kids on the road to fish addiction and was soon able to get both of her kids fishing as well.  And now our kids from both sides of the family have kids of their own...and most of them are fishing too.  Most...but not all.  Too many other competitive influences these days when Grampa can't be close enough to help guide them. 

Got tons of good fambly fishin' pics over the years, but here are a few representatives.  You may not recognize the guy with dark hair and young features in some of the older pictures.

[Image: 3-GENERATIONS.jpg]   [Image: PAT-CLAY-3.jpg]  [Image: PAT-DARCIE-TROUT.jpg]  [Image: PAT-SON-MIKE.jpg]

[Image: RON-FISHING-2.jpg]  [Image: SONS-STEVE-MIKE-2.jpg]  [Image: SONS-STEVE-MIKE.jpg]
(01-25-2022, 02:38 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm just curious what caliber your granddaughter used. My son has his oldest daughter shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and they went after elk this year. She's a skinny 12 y.o. What are your thoughts?

She shot my 300 win mag that has a muzzle brake on it.
Big gun but tamed down a lot with some changes.

A brag here cause I cam and I'm awful proud of her.

One shot at 160 yards and in the heart to boot.
I've killed 4 elk with a 6.5creedmoor... it works but there's also better options.
Text me and we will discuss it. My oldest son took his first elk with a little 7mm-08. It did fine. A 6.5 140 grain has a lot more sectional density so theoretically should penetrate deeper. It's not really my choice, anyway.