Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard ice?
Does anyone have the latest skinny on the ice at Willard?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-25-2022, 02:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: Does anyone have the latest skinny on the ice at Willard?

I drive by it each work day on my way home from work and the main lake is capped.  I do not know the thickness.  I have not seen anyone on it near the north marina. Although I am going by late in the afternoon.  I drove over to the south marina entrance on Friday and they are letting water into the lake.  The channel was ice free almost down to the marina boat launch. Not much water in the marinas.  Maybe a couple of feet deep.
The water level is rising and pulling away from the shore, as stated, the channel is open but from what I have heard you can get on the ice if you bring a plank but it's sketchy around the North marina, as to where you can get on. Two weeks ago it was much better before the water level started coming up. This is second hand info, I haven't been on it this Winter and I'm not sure I will, if something doesn't change.
(01-25-2022, 02:44 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 02:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: Does anyone have the latest skinny on the ice at Willard?

I drive by it each work day on my way home from work and the main lake is capped.  I do not know the thickness.  I have not seen anyone on it near the north marina. Although I am going by late in the afternoon.  I drove over to the south marina entrance on Friday and they are letting water into the lake.  The channel was ice free almost down to the marina boat launch. Not much water in the marinas.  Maybe a couple of feet deep.

Hey jig fisher, can you give an up-to-date ice report on willard ice conditions? Thanks
(02-07-2022, 03:41 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 02:44 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:

Hey jig fisher, can you give an up-to-date ice report on willard ice conditions? Thanks
Just from driving by the main lake still capped.  Looks like edges are pulling away and refreezing.  Still not much water in the north marina.  I did see a post on FB of someone that had walked out to Freeway Bay from the north and tested the ice with a spud bar close to shore next to the dike.  He posted a video of it.  Maybe 2 inches of ice before going through.  It was cloudy ice as well.  The poster did not venture out on the ice.

Ira and I got out there today and and it was not good. We saw open water around the edges, so we decided to check out the depth off the South docks in the North marina, it was 3.5' and no fish were caught. After an hour we moved over to the channel and found 3" of ice and 6.6' of water. Got a few bites but again, no fish were caught. Decided to check out the South marina but did not try any fishing but I doubt the marina was any deeper than the North marina dock area. We did find out that the reason the channel was open is because they are dredging it. This is likely because they think if we don't get any more water this Winter, they would not to able to get enough water out of the lake for their water users. They did the same thing about 17 or 18 years ago, when the lake got lower than it did last year.

[Image: willard1.jpg]

[Image: willard2.jpg]

[Image: willard3.jpg]

[Image: willard4.jpg]
I did see a post on FB of someone that had walked out to Freeway Bay from the north and tested the ice with a spud bar close to shore next to the dike. He posted a video of it. Maybe 2 inches of ice before going

Where on Facebook did you see a report? Willards bays post?
(02-08-2022, 09:03 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I did see a post on FB of someone that had walked out to Freeway Bay from the north and tested the ice with a spud bar close to shore next to the dike.  He posted a video of it.  Maybe 2 inches of ice before going

Where on Facebook did you see a report? Willards bays post?
Utah Ice Fishing Fanatics group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/71684908...605616326/