Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Run....Finally!
Well after taking off a year (due to covid protocol??) the cisco finally showed back up at Cisco Beach this morning.  I was there just before light and there were schools up and down the beach.  A few dipnetters were showing up as I left, but it would have been fairly easy to dipnet a limit.  The water is open, so you'll need waders, hip boots or muck boots.  Keep a low profile (kneel down right at the edge of the water and let the fish come to you.  Having another person behind you jigging a hook-less lure helps to attract the fish in during the open water years.  

As far as fishing from boats.  Limits of cisco have easily been caught since Friday on the rockpile and off the pumphouse (when the ice flows aren't too bad).  Cutthroat, lake trout and whitefish fishing has also been really good.  There is a lot of ice floating around on the lake, so be careful when boating around.  Some of the chunks are several inches thick and can damage the boat and motor.

Come and "catch anudder crisco"!!
Thanks Scott, that is great news, I hate to see everything changing, so glad the cisco are reliable... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Criscos? Praise the Lard!
Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear they finally came in to the shore. I struck out last year netting from shore and thought this year might be the same. I might have to make a drive up there to net a few. Do you think they'll stick around until next weekend?
(01-26-2022, 03:26 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Well after taking off a year (due to covid protocol??) the cisco finally showed back up at Cisco Beach this morning.  I was there just before light and there were schools up and down the beach.  A few dipnetters were showing up as I left, but it would have been fairly easy to dipnet a limit.  The water is open, so you'll need waders, hip boots or muck boots.  Keep a low profile (kneel down right at the edge of the water and let the fish come to you.  Having another person behind you jigging a hook-less lure helps to attract the fish in during the open water years.  

As far as fishing from boats.  Limits of cisco have easily been caught since Friday on the rockpile and off the pumphouse (when the ice flows aren't too bad).  Cutthroat, lake trout and whitefish fishing has also been really good.  There is a lot of ice floating around on the lake, so be careful when boating around.  Some of the chunks are several inches thick and can damage the boat and motor.

Come and "catch anudder crisco"!!

Do you think the rock pile will still be accessible by saterday with the cold temps
The lake is open water, but the water temp is 32.4F yesterday.  So its right there for freezing, but the sun during the longer days now will not likely let it freeze over.  The temps have not been very cold for Bear Lake.  It was 16F on Wednesday and similar this morning.  So there might be some ice sheets floating around for a while, but I would think you could access the lake in a boat.  However, if you have a fiberglass boat, you will likely get damage from the the ice.  Aluminum boat with outboard motors/jet drives are the way to go in the winter at Bear Lake.  Yesterday I saw a guy take a Ranger Comanchee bassboat out through the ice.  I wonder what happened to that boat?  I was just shaking my head.  Anyway, fish it like you own it!
There were 2 guys in that Ranger who came in behind us. All appeared ok from what I saw. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Is there a certain time of day that tends to be the most productive? Thinking of taking my 9 year old up tomorrow and trying for the first time (from shore as I don't have a boat).

Thanks
(01-28-2022, 09:41 PM)K18 Wrote: Is there a certain time of day that tends to be the most productive?  Thinking of taking my 9 year old up tomorrow and trying for the first time (from shore as I don't have a boat).

Thanks

If you're fishing for Cisco, dipnetting from Cisco Beach before sunrise and at dawn is your best bet. If you're fishing for cutthroat, I'm sure your luck will be great in the morning as well, but I caught my two cutthroat on Wednesday night, write it dusk from Cisco Beach.
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)
(01-29-2022, 01:51 AM)Boundless Bryce Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 09:41 PM)K18 Wrote: Is there a certain time of day that tends to be the most productive?  Thinking of taking my 9 year old up tomorrow and trying for the first time (from shore as I don't have a boat).

Thanks

If you're fishing for Cisco, dipnetting from Cisco Beach before sunrise and at dawn is your best bet. If you're fishing for cutthroat, I'm sure your luck will be great in the morning as well, but I caught my two cutthroat on Wednesday night, write it dusk from Cisco Beach.

Bryce!  I'm glad to see your response.  I'm the guy that was parked next to you at Cisco beach and we got to talk for a bit, I would have liked to keep talking to you but it got cut short.   How did your kayak venture turn out?  We saw you out padding as we drove by.  

We pulled into the state park at 6:59 and did quite well for our first time.
(01-31-2022, 03:27 AM)K18 Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 01:51 AM)Boundless Bryce Wrote:

Thanks

Bryce!  I'm glad to see your response.  I'm the guy that was parked next to you at Cisco beach and we got to talk for a bit, I would have liked to keep talking to you but it got cut short.   How did your kayak venture turn out?  We saw you out padding as we drove by.  

We pulled into the state park at 6:59 and did quite well for our first time.

Glad to see you on the forum! Kayaking was awesome! No fish from the rockpile, but a beautiful day! I'll post a video to my YouTube channel about kayaking soon. I just posted a video about Cisco fishing. Check it out, and I'll catch you next timeSmile
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)