Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse 1-28-22
Hue and I fished Smith and Morehouse yesterday.  It is one of my favorite places to ice fish, because it is so peaceful and beautiful up there and I have a chance to catch a grayling.  Yesterday, didn't disappoint on either.

I first tried using my hand warmer as a fish attractant!  It may have worked, but I hope not to ever do that again.  We were fortunate to catch 6 grayling (the largest was 12" and the smallest was around 10"), and lots of small rainbows (largest was 16" and the average was ~10").

We saw a strange sight of large sheets of ice up the sides of the shoreline for ~10-15' of vertical elevation.  The ice thickness of these slabs was maybe 10" and where we were fishing I measured the ice thickness at 16" thick.  Apparently, they dropped the water at least 10' vertically, after the reservoir was frozen. 

I appreciate Hue dragging me up there behind his Snowdog.  For those considering going up there, it is only accessible by Snowmobile, Snowdog, walking (it is over 2 miles one way) or a 4-wheeler (until it snows again).  Don't even think of driving up there in a full-size 4-wheel drive vehicle.  At least one guy tried and made it ~1/2 mile and I'm sure spent hours digging out. 

[Image: Broken-ice-1.png]

[Image: Broken-ice-2.png]

[Image: Grayling-2.jpg]
(01-29-2022, 05:24 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Hue and I fished Smith and Morehouse yesterday.  It is one of my favorite places to ice fish, because it is so peaceful and beautiful up there and I have a chance to catch a grayling.  Yesterday, didn't disappoint on either.

I first tried using my hand warmer as a fish attractant!  It may have worked, but I hope not to ever do that again.  We were fortunate to catch 6 grayling (the largest was 12" and the smallest was around 10"), and lots of small rainbows (largest was 16" and the average was ~10").

We saw a strange sight of large sheets of ice up the sides of the shoreline for ~10-15' of vertical elevation.  The ice thickness of these slabs was maybe 10" and where we were fishing I measured the ice thickness at 16" thick.  Apparently, they dropped the water at least 10' vertically, after the reservoir was frozen. 

I appreciate Hue dragging me up there behind his Snowdog.  For those considering going up there, it is only accessible by Snowmobile, Snowdog, walking (it is over 2 miles one way) or a 4-wheeler (until it snows again).  Don't even think of driving up there in a full-size 4-wheel drive vehicle.  At least one guy tried and made it ~1/2 mile and I'm sure spent hours digging out. 

Great report Kent, sounds like you two had a fun day up there, was there anyone else up there fishing? How far did you guys have to go out on the ice to find those fish?
(01-29-2022, 05:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report Kent, sounds like you two had a fun day up there, was there anyone else up there fishing? How far did you guys have to go out on the ice to find those fish?

Some guys showed up, after a few hours, and fished down close to the dam.  We went from one end of the reservoir almost to the other end, but I'm sure that fish could be caught within 100 yards of the shore from the areas one can access the ice.
The road from the highway to S&M is nothing but 12-24" hills about 7 feet apart and unavoidable. While my machine was pointed down, my sled would be pointed up. gear sled #2 pointed down, gear sled #3 pointed up, and sled #4 with Kent (in a praying position) pointed who knows. Traveling at minimum speed, we pulled it off. I pull a few muscles too. All sled were connected with A-frame connections and pulled straight and true. I even did a quick stop going down the packed ramp and they didn't jackknife. I put 6 miles on the dog and used 5 pints of gas. Tank holds about 1.7 gal..
    Bureau  of Reclamation  show that during mid January the level dropped 13 feet in 10 days, while during that same time period, Rockport raised 6 feet and Echo raised 4 feet.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Nice report. Thanks for the info, sounds like a successful day.
Glad you were able to catch a few grayling and have an enjoyable trip.
Nice job on the grayling!
I've never been to Smith & Morehouse, but I've heard good things about ice fishing there, so I thought I'd try it. Has anyone been there lately? The latest post I found is nearly a month old. What are the current conditions?  Is the road in to the reservoir passable in a four-wheel drive 4Runner? Is the ice fishable? Is there still an empty space between the ice and the water? I'd appreciate any information.
(02-27-2022, 04:20 PM)SkinnyLynnie Wrote: I've never been to Smith & Morehouse, but I've heard good things about ice fishing there, so I thought I'd try it. Has anyone been there lately? The latest post I found is nearly a month old. What are the current conditions?  Is the road in to the reservoir passable in a four-wheel drive 4Runner? Is the ice fishable? Is there still an empty space between the ice and the water? I'd appreciate any information.

Without even going up there I am confident in my answer that you can not access Smith and Morehouse in a 4Runner.  You need a snowmobile, a Snowdog, or maybe a 4X4.  Otherwise, it is over a two-mile hike from the parking lot by the main road.
I went saturday and kentofnsl is right. 4Runner would not make it up to res.
Ice is 14-16” thick. I did not noticed air space in the ice.
Saw two other groups on the ice but not sure how they did.
I am new to fishing this res and i liked it.
Kastmaster lures with smaller ice jigs as droppers and small bits of worm or Waxies.
Caught 1 small Kokanee I believe, 3grayling, 3-4 bows, and a cutthroat.
(02-28-2022, 01:58 AM)Zeroid Wrote: I went saturday and kentofnsl is right. 4Runner would not make it up to res. 
Kastmaster lures with smaller ice jigs as droppers and small bits of worm or Waxies.

It is a fun fishery with all of the different species of fish and a beautiful view.
(02-28-2022, 02:26 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 01:58 AM)Zeroid Wrote: I went saturday and kentofnsl is right. 4Runner would not make it up to res. 

It is a fun fishery with all of the different species of fish and a beautiful view.
It is a beautiful location!
Snowdog worked pretty good and I found myself wishing it was a longer ride in…. I would like to find more locations to access with snowdog next year.