Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine Purchase?
I need to replace my gps and fish finder after many years. Of faithful service.  I like the Raymarine Element 9 HV, but before I buy I would appreciate any pros or cons anyone has on this unit.  Also, I am still open to considering other manufacturers if you have a different unit you are pleased with.  Would like your input on this.
Trueblue2
Look for a manufacturer who does mostly freshwater and has the most GPS maps for where you fish. Most units have basic maps pre-installed, with the option to buy better and more detailed maps as an option.

I have always used Humminbird products. Others like Lowrance, and still others Garmin. Frankly, all three are good at most things, although some excel at one thing the others don't. Pick one that excels at the kind of fishing you do.
(01-30-2022, 06:40 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Look for a manufacturer who does mostly freshwater and has the most GPS maps for where you fish. Most units have basic maps pre-installed, with the option to buy better and more detailed maps as an option.

I have always used Humminbird products. Others like Lowrance, and still others Garmin. Frankly, all three are good at most things, although some excel at one thing the others don't. Pick one that excels at the kind of fishing you do.

Hi Rocky , I have had the Raymarine Element 9HV for a couple of years now and I love this unit , I like that Raymarine will notify me of the Updates that are available. Never really had any problems with it.
(01-30-2022, 08:02 PM)AFDan52 Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 06:40 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Look for a manufacturer who does mostly freshwater and has the most GPS maps for where you fish. Most units have basic maps pre-installed, with the option to buy better and more detailed maps as an option.

Hi Rocky , I have had the Raymarine Element 9HV for a couple of years now and I love this unit , I like that Raymarine will notify me of the Updates that are available. Never really had any problems with it.

Thanks for letting me know.  I fish the Columbia River and offshore 4 or 5 weeks each summer and my freshwater units could do better.  The gps goes blank 5 miles offshore which is probably just a map issue.  The Lowrance fish finder doesn’t give me the detail that Raymarine users get when the chinook run the bottom.  The Raymarine Element seems to be the dominant choice in the NW.  I’m glad to hear your Element 9HV is performing well in fresh water.
Ah, you didn't mention ocean use in your first post.
(01-30-2022, 10:03 PM)trueblue2 Wrote: Thanks for letting me know.  I fish the Columbia River and offshore 4 or 5 weeks each summer and my freshwater units could do better.  The gps goes blank 5 miles offshore which is probably just a map issue.  The Lowrance fish finder doesn’t give me the detail that Raymarine users get when the chinook run the bottom.  The Raymarine Element seems to be the dominant choice in the NW.  I’m glad to hear your Element 9HV is performing well in fresh water.
A couple years back, we were vacationing in Myrtle Beach NC (which is an Atlantic Ocean coastal town) and I happened to stop by the local BPS.  While there, I asked one of their salespeople which brand name sonar was the preferred unit for their area - Humminbird or Lowrance?  His answer surprised me; Garmin outsold the combined total of the other two.  I'm about 98% certain that if I upgrade my current sonar system (Lowrance Elite 7 Ti), it will be with a Garmin.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'm with Bob, The Garmin I have is a lot of money but well worth it.     the two live scope transducers that makes fishing for kokanee fun. cost about $3000.   
and you need this 
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/626322      you can start  with this then if you want to buy the live scopes later you can.

it comes with this With GT56UHD-TM Transducer  this is a better transducer than I have it is new, the one I have is the GT54

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Brands/Garmi...ishfinders

this is a good place to buy stuff,  you can call them look at there youtube

https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/Ga...-s/668.htm

not sure if they sell the Ray Marine
I did have Lowrance products in the beginning but by the time the company went thru changes I lost interest with what was going on. I looked into Raymarine and my first purchase was the A57D. I liked what it was putting on display but this unit was a little difficult using. Once I got the setting where I wanted them I left it alone. After 8yrs it finally died, next was the purchase of the RM Dragonfly Pro7. Simple operating chartplotter, sonar, down imaging unit, I really loved this unit, but it wasn't going to be very long in the boat when I looked into the Element 9HV. I was up in the air at first deciding whether get the Element since it was the latest new unit or go with the Axiom. While the Axiom is a good proven unit I decided to go with the Element. Element 9HV is my purchase in 2019. Like any computer it requires software updates, so did my previous RM purchases. This unit is easy to adjust manually which is what I use for a custom fit to the lake I'm on or you can operate it in full auto mode. It has split screens for GPS/sonar, sonar/down imaging or side imaging, quad screen, you can build your own screen for a particular lake also. I like the clarity of what I see on the display. While most use Garmin, Hummingbird, & Lowrance in this part of the country don't count out Raymarine. The first pic I added is from Jan 26, 2022 at Bear Lake of a split screen I used on the Rockpile for Cisco run.

[Image: Cisco-Run-Jan-26-2022.jpg] 
Cisco Run recently

Jan 26, 2022

[Image: E-Canyon-2-11-15-2021.jpg]
E Canyon kokanee

[Image: Flaming-Gorge-4-10-2021-1.jpg]
Flaming Gorge kokanee

4-10-2021

[Image: Flaming-Gorge-4-10-2021-2.jpg]
Flaming Gorge kokanee

4-10-2021

Raymarine Element Review (7HV, 9HV, 12HV) • Sonar Wars
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF