Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bear Lake is frozen! Anglers are ice fishing!
I find it incredible there are no reports so far.  The lake frozen over on Friday night.  Yes, there is still some open water but there is ice and anglers started fishing through it on Saturday.  More were out today. Its about 2-3" in some spots and simple not frozen in other spots.  Cisco are running along Cisco Beach but the ice along there is only about 1" and not strong enough to stand on.  Anglers who were out along the east side have reported good fishing for cutts and a few lakers too.  Jigging in 25-50' of water from 1st Point north up to 2nd Point.  No one out on the rockpile as of today.  We'll try to keep things updated, but this is the first time in nearly 6 years there is some fishable ice.
Man its been a long time. Weather looks good for it to build a bit too unless wind clears it.

Txs for the update
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
No telling how long the ice will last, but the length of the days is getting MUCH longer than just a couple of weeks ago and the sun has been intense.  So, fish it like you own it!  I refer to the ice as the "great equalizer" for anglers on Bear Lake.  This is the chance for those of you who don't have boats, or for the pansies who refuse to bring their boat up to Bear Lake in the winter, to fish it like you did have a boat!
I'm gonna give first point a try after I get my cisco fix in the morning tomorrow. I'll let you know how I did.
Edit: one laker and two cutts!
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)
Thanks for letting us know. I'm assuming the whitefish run is over?
Thanks for the heads up Scott. Looks like I'll be heading up there next week if the ice holds out. Luv me some bear lake ice fishin
Thanks Scott, I seen that on Saturday, but I thought those guys on the ice were pure crazy, but then again we only checked the ice at the marina and cisco beach and like you mentioned maybe an inch on Saturday, but I guess with the cold maybe by mid week it might be thick enough for a chicken like me to start thinking about it... I know it never lasts long, so I'm planning on burning some leave when I think it will hold tubby me... Looking forward to your updates.... Have to give a shoutout to Bryton and Mike for saving me from hauling my boat over on Saturday... Thanks you guys for letting me know it was iced up... I'm so excited to finally have ice on the lake again, my last day on Bear Lake ice was one of my best ice fishing days in years... So hoping to try it again one more time... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
If it's safe I'd like to get over there and give it a try. Been wayyy too long.
If one has no Cisco, is there a good alternate bait I could try? Thanks for any input!
Hey Derek, just catch a few cisco before you fish for the others... They are probably still running and they are really easy to catch this year through the ice... Snag them if you don't have a net... If you can't get them let me know and I could donate a few to you... Good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!