Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rockport today..Mon. 1-31
Thought maybe a new R.P. report was in order....2 other buddies and I got there earlier today, and were fishing by about 0730ish...fish showed up immediately at my 'Secret Spot', but it was cold again, so we helped each other set up shelters first...didn't take long for those 9, 10, 10.5" perch to start hitting in that first wave...and we all did well...my best to start was a small green/white Demon with cut mealworm...smaller pink Forage Minnow with pink spikes very effective, and of course both worked well when a donated eyeball was sent down...slow for awhile, then another school would come through....We were doing fairly well here at my 'Secret Spot', which I first found almost 3 weeks ago by hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, for over 3 hours 'til I found some...that day I was the only one there, and for the next hour felt like a kid in a candy store ...next time I went, there were 3 or 4 other fishermen there...last Wed. (even after the tournament) there were only 5 or 6 in the general area of my 'Secret Spot'....Today there was a good 20 besides us in this general area, and our good bite was done by about 0930, with just a few more caught from then 'til 1130, when we left...cracking ice put the bite off early?...sleds being pulled by too close? holes being drilled North, South, and West around us move the schools too far? I don't know...didn't happen last week, or the week before....could have re-drilled elsewhere, but we'd done good enough earlier....DayFish, I'd gladly take you here to my 'Secret Spot' anytime...but you already know the directions....Still some good fish here this year, so next year may be a bust again...might as well get some, as it's been reported that no matter how many are caught, the fishery won't be impacted....watch yer bobber, and Guluk...
(02-01-2022, 06:55 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Thought maybe a new R.P. report was in order....2 other buddies and I got there earlier today, and were fishing by about 0730ish...fish showed up immediately at my 'Secret Spot', but it was cold again, so we helped each other set up shelters first...didn't take long for those 9, 10, 10.5" perch to start hitting in that first wave...and we all did well...my best to start was a small green/white Demon with cut mealworm...smaller pink Forage Minnow with pink spikes very effective, and of course both worked well when a donated eyeball was sent down...slow for awhile, then another school would come through....We were doing fairly well here at my 'Secret Spot', which I first found almost 3 weeks ago by hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, for over 3 hours 'til I found some...that day I was the only one there, and for the next hour felt like a kid in a candy store ...next time I went, there were 3 or 4 other fishermen there...last Wed. (even after the tournament) there were only 5 or 6 in the general area of my 'Secret Spot'....Today there was a good 20 besides us in this general area, and our good bite was done by about 0930, with just a few more caught from then 'til 1130, when we left...cracking ice put the bite off early?...sleds being pulled by too close? holes being drilled North, South, and West around us move the schools too far? I don't know...didn't happen last week, or the week before....could have re-drilled elsewhere, but we'd done good enough earlier....DayFish, I'd gladly take you here to my 'Secret Spot' anytime...but you already know the directions....Still some good fish here this year, so next year may be a bust again...might as well get some, as it's been reported that no matter how many are caught, the fishery won't be impacted....watch yer bobber, and Guluk...
Thanks for the offer Jmor. Cool Wink We were there and did well in our not so secret spot too. Probably saw your your three tents as we arrived shortly after you guys and set up just northeast of you.  That guy in his sled tent moving around might have been the reason it slowed for you. But they slowed down for me as well around that time so maybe not. They were under my buddy all morning and until we left around 1. Those eyes are killer. Where you guys set up did you find one tent spot more productive than the others? It was different for us within 20-30 feet of distance. Water has come up some since last week. I hear ya--might as well....

(02-01-2022, 03:34 PM)Dayfish Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 06:55 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Thought maybe a new R.P. report was in order....2 other buddies and I got there earlier today, and were fishing by about 0730ish...fish showed up immediately at my 'Secret Spot', but it was cold again, so we helped each other set up shelters first...didn't take long for those 9, 10, 10.5" perch to start hitting in that first wave...and we all did well...my best to start was a small green/white Demon with cut mealworm...smaller pink Forage Minnow with pink spikes very effective, and of course both worked well when a donated eyeball was sent down...slow for awhile, then another school would come through....We were doing fairly well here at my 'Secret Spot', which I first found almost 3 weeks ago by hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, hiking, drilling, for over 3 hours 'til I found some...that day I was the only one there, and for the next hour felt like a kid in a candy store ...next time I went, there were 3 or 4 other fishermen there...last Wed. (even after the tournament) there were only 5 or 6 in the general area of my 'Secret Spot'....Today there was a good 20 besides us in this general area, and our good bite was done by about 0930, with just a few more caught from then 'til 1130, when we left...cracking ice put the bite off early?...sleds being pulled by too close? holes being drilled North, South, and West around us move the schools too far? I don't know...didn't happen last week, or the week before....could have re-drilled elsewhere, but we'd done good enough earlier....DayFish, I'd gladly take you here to my 'Secret Spot' anytime...but you already know the directions....Still some good fish here this year, so next year may be a bust again...might as well get some, as it's been reported that no matter how many are caught, the fishery won't be impacted....watch yer bobber, and Guluk...
Thanks for the offer Jmor. Cool Wink We were there and did well in our not so secret spot too. Probably saw your your three tents as we arrived shortly after you guys and set up just northeast of you.  That guy in his sled tent moving around might have been the reason it slowed for you. But they slowed down for me as well around that time so maybe not. They were under my buddy all morning and until we left around 1. Those eyes are killer. Where you guys set up did you find one tent spot more productive than the others? It was different for us within 20-30 feet of distance. Water has come up some since last week. I hear ya--might as well....

Come to think of it, if you were there last Wednesday you probably came over and talked to us after you were packed up. Pretty cold that day as well. Good to kind of meet ya in person.
Thanks for the report. How are the edges holding up later in the day?
Hey Wingnutt, I haven't been there later in the day to see if there's been any thawing on the edges, but as cold as it's been, I doubt if they're getting soft, at least for now....

Dayfish, yeah, I did go talk to a couple guys before we left last Wed...I commented on your one pole having a green/white Demon, one of my favorites there...that was you guys?...and yes, we had 3 separate red tents out yesterday...and yes, one area did get hot again just as we were trying to pack up....hope we run into each other again....Guluk..
(02-02-2022, 03:45 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey Wingnutt, I haven't been there later in the day to see if there's been any thawing on the edges, but as cold as it's been, I doubt if they're getting soft, at least for now....

Dayfish, yeah, I did go talk to a couple guys before we left last Wed...I commented on your one pole having a green/white Demon, one of my favorites there...that was you guys?...and yes, we had 3 separate red tents out yesterday...and yes, one area did get hot again just as we were trying to pack up....hope we run into each other again....Guluk..
That was me and a friend who doesn't fish much. He was freezing from the get go. I'll keep an eye out for ya.