Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Truck Project
Projects always seem to pop up while the winter keeps the lakes capped. So after a long time of this project being on the back burner I decided to pull the trigger in replacing my intake cold air system on my truck. When I first bought my truck in 2002 3 things I did from the start was change the stock 3" exhaust system from to a 4" stainless steel from the turbo back to the tailpipe (I was fortunate enough these particular years vehicles didn't come standard equipped with a catalytic converter), next I installed a 3-gauge windshield post set monitoring turbo booster, EGT-exhaust gas temp, and transmission temperature, finally a superchip program. Power has been boosted. For years I have always had a little black smoke coming thru exhaust even prior to these mods. About 4yrs ago I then went in for aftermarket street legal upgrade turbo. The response I got with this was far better than expected even after removing the superchip performance program. But the black smoke still lingered somewhat, it has never been bad at all. Yesterday I installed a new upgrade cold air intake system with more excellent results that followed. After a test drive, I gained some more power but that's something hard to judge, I did notice the whistle that came off of turbo prior to this install was a little pronounced and throttle response was quick without hesitation. Also, I could hear a distinctive airflow at the intake whenever I accelerated to speed, never had this sound before. This mod aids in better gas mileage, cooler EGT temp and now while the black smoke still there it is now reduced to a hint. The real test is yet to come putting under a load towing my boat, come on ice off. 

[Image: P2170001.jpg]

Stock OEM

[Image: P2170002.jpg]
Aftermarket

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Interesting Mod Roger. Please let us know how much the MPG increases, when you get a chance to check it. Do you leave the cover off the box the filter is mounted in or is it off just to show us what the new filter looks like? I'm guessing your old filter was one of those flat ones.
First of all, the original filter is a drop in flat type. Next, you are seeing the new filter looking thru a clear window supplied with airbox kit. I don't know if I'll see the gas mileage but it's worth the better performance that I'm sensing. With the fuel rising at the pumps I'm hoping this will & should help out.
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Wow, that is a clear window, I could see the screws in each corner but I had no idea that was a plasic cover window. If you don't mind me asking, what did this upgrade kit cost?
Curt, there are many cold air intake systems, some cheap & easy on the pocket. After studying reviews I elected to put in for a good kit for $350 from S & B. Banks is a popular brand in many products but are a little more proud of their pricing.
Harrisville UT
I found this cheap one from Walmart but it does not say anything about helping out with gas mileage. I've got plenty of power but if it does not help with MPG it won't help me:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACKHORSE-RA...lsrc=3p.ds
That is a cheaper type. There is plenty of the open air style but with mine I have a cold air sensor that mounts inside and a manual air restriction indicator, others have an electronic restriction indicator letting you airflow is struggling getting thru. Sensors will not be calibrated to this deer air induction system however they must be tied in to prevent a check engine code. Air filter is another option according to your area climate. I went with a dry filter (throw away) over oiled filter (cleanable)since we have a lot of dust blown around. 
Harrisville UT