Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is a good place for Perch this year?
My wife has agreed to come ice fishing with me Sat.  She is not into fishing so being able to catch something will be a plus to entice her for another outing.  We are interested in Perch.  I have gone to Echo and caught small perch.  Only 1 fish at Mantua. Got skunked at Rockport.  Have not been on Pineview to fish, each time I tried previously, I left due to questionable ice and lots of water on top.  I would appreciate it if anyone can share where they have caught perch this year and the depth they found them in.  Are they catching Perch in Pineview?

Thanks
(02-05-2022, 01:23 AM)icerman Wrote: My wife has agreed to come ice fishing with me Sat.  She is not into fishing so being able to catch something will be a plus to entice her for another outing.  We are interested in Perch.  I have gone to Echo and caught small perch.  Only 1 fish at Mantua. Got skunked at Rockport.  Have not been on Pineview to fish, each time I tried previously, I left due to questionable ice and lots of water on top.  I would appreciate it if anyone can share where they have caught perch this year and the depth they found them in.  Are they catching Perch in Pineview?

Thanks

Yes they are at Pineview but they are at Rockport, Echo, Hyrum and Newton, too.. Reports are spotty all over. Had a good and bad report at Echo the other day from some friends. Late ice is fickle but thats fishing. I think we will try PV also but a later run for us. Stop by if you go that way.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
My wife sounds like yours, humors me with one or two ice trips a year.
I highly recommend you take her to Cascade or CJ Strike.
You will not be able to wipe the grin off her face!
[Image: 29-C6-F756-058-C-4091-A95-A-5-A722-B0-FE4-A8.jpg]
Got a report from a friend that the perch bite was slow in the AM at Pineview yesterday morning. Not just hisnreport but from several other anglers as well. They were in the Windsurfer Beach / Port Ramp area. Not sure what to tell ya. We fished Mantua yesterday AM and it was SLOW. No perch either.

Most consistent bit has been for crappie at PV eaely and late, but the bite is super light, so might be hard for a newer fisherperson to hook them. Again, as Cowboy Pirate said, it's spotty at best right now. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice/ reports from all that responded. I have found the same issues this year; have not found anyplace that was really "hot".
Late to the party but honestly Utah Lake is coughed up more perch for me in the last 2- 3 years than most other waters, except when Hyrum was gping nuts a couple years ago.

Like everywhere the problem is low water. At AF Harbor pre-ice, I couldn't find water over 30" deep. The open harbor at Pelican on the west side had safe ice one day, and unsafe three days later, but off the docks and near the drain I couldn't keep them off........but it was 20-25 fingerlings for every 8-9" ER I caught.

One unexpected place I found perch last year was I the lingering pools right below the Pumphouse on the Jordan River. Some warm springs flow in there and its slippery and mucky, but last year a couple of those runs were full of perch.

Things re going to be weird for a while, I bet.
Well went to Pineview, or should I say, "Pineboohoo!"  Nice and cold.  Walked the distance to where my favorite spot has been for many years (too bad the ramp is closed for parking), drilled 15 holes from 15' to 24', only caught 4 fish between the 2 of us!  Lots of fish on the finder but they were tight lipped!  

Sad story, last year the water depth was 36' where I was fishing in 18' today!  I went a long ways trying to get 36' and only got to 24' and it leveled off.  We are gonna be hurting for water next year if we don't get a bunch of snow this month!

Thanks again for the advice given!
(02-06-2022, 12:33 AM)icerman Wrote: Well went to Pineview, or should I say, "Pineboohoo!"  Nice and cold.  Walked the distance to where my favorite spot has been for many years (too bad the ramp is closed for parking), drilled 15 holes from 15' to 24', only caught 4 fish between the 2 of us!  Lots of fish on the finder but they were tight lipped!  

Sad story, last year the water depth was 36' where I was fishing in 18' today!  I went a long ways trying to get 36' and only got to 24' and it leveled off.  We are gonna be hurting for water next year if we don't get a bunch of snow this month!

Thanks again for the advice given!

PV was not kind to us either. Drilled a lot of ice for a few fillets
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks for the not so encouraging reports. Leaving in 45 minutes for Pineview. Hopefully we can luck into some fish.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(02-06-2022, 11:15 AM)BRL1 Wrote: Thanks for the not so encouraging reports.  Leaving in 45 minutes for Pineview.  Hopefully we can luck into some fish.

You will find them. We were very late getting there and chasing a bunch of kids around with treats and snow sleds to keep them occupied. I am sure if we would have hiked to a few of the good structure spots the marks would have started flashing
(02-05-2022, 02:42 AM)For Sure.MrShane Wrote: My wife sounds like yours, humors me with one or two ice trips a year.
I highly recommend you take her to Cascade or CJ Strike.
You will not be able to wipe the grin off her face!
[Image: 29-C6-F756-058-C-4091-A95-A-5-A722-B0-FE4-A8.jpg]
(02-06-2022, 02:50 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 11:15 AM)BRL1 Wrote: Thanks for the not so encouraging reports.  Leaving in 45 minutes for Pineview.  Hopefully we can luck into some fish.

You will find them. We were very late getting there and chasing a bunch of kids around with treats and snow sleds to keep them occupied. I am sure if we would have hiked to a few of the good structure spots the marks would have started flashing

Thanks for encouragement.  Made it to Windsurfer beach about 6:30 am yesterday morning.  Tried to slide off the edge of the parking onto the beach.  Looked for a couple minutes from inside the truck.  Stubbornness kicked in and went on around to Browning Point, where we have done well for perch and crappie all the time.  Walked toward the end of Cemetery point.  Found a spot that dropped from 21 to 33 ft in about 20 yds.  Set up and found fish on the finders, at times up to 10 ft of fish in waves.  I couldn't buy a bite.  Lance got 6 8" perch before the sun hit the ice after that not another bite when we left at 11 am.

Talking about making an afternoon evening trip to the narrows for crappie, but never been on that end of the lake.

Hopefully one of the next trips will be to Rockport.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.