Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bear Lake 2-8-22
Kory and I fished the Rock Pile today.  The ice was 7" thick and slowly growing.  We did OK; especially Kory.  Kory caught a nice 32" mack immediately upon us stopping and he got a hole drilled.  I missed my chance for a nice fish when I snapped my 15 pound leader setting the hook.  Beautiful day and it was nice to catch some macks and some Bear Lake cutthroat.  The cutthroat sure have a different color to them, at Bear Lake, than they do at Strawberry.  I would assume it has something to do with them staying in deeper water, at Bear Lake, than they do at Strawberry.  Hopefully, Kory posts a picture of his nice catch.
How were the crowds that way?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Where did you access the ice to walk out on the Rock pile? How deep was the water you were fishing in? Thanks for the report Kent and congrats to Kory on the nice mack. I think it is the kind of water the fish are in, rather than the depth that makes them the lighter color but Scott would be the one that would know for sure.
(02-09-2022, 01:58 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: How were the crowds that way?

They were all well behaved. Smile   More folks than I expected, on a Tuesday, but plenty of room to spread out.

(02-09-2022, 02:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Where did you access the ice to walk out on the Rock pile? How deep was the water you were fishing in? Thanks for the report Kent and congrats to Kory on the nice mack. I think it is the kind of water the fish are in, rather than the depth that makes them the lighter color but Scott would be the one that would know for sure.

We accessed the lake from the 250 East road, but we were the only ones who did.  Everyone else accessed from somewhere around Gus Rich Point.  We fished in water from ~58 to ~65' deep.
(02-09-2022, 03:14 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(02-09-2022, 01:58 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: How were the crowds that way?

They were all well behaved. Smile   More folks than I expected, on a Tuesday, but plenty of room to spread out.

(02-09-2022, 02:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Where did you access the ice to walk out on the Rock pile? How deep was the water you were fishing in? Thanks for the report Kent and congrats to Kory on the nice mack. I think it is the kind of water the fish are in, rather than the depth that makes them the lighter color but Scott would be the one that would know for sure.

We accessed the lake from the 250 East road, but we were the only ones who did.  Everyone else accessed from somewhere around Gus Rich Point.  We fished in water from ~58 to ~65' deep.
I haven't heard of anyone using that street in many years, good to know it is still open and useable. So at that depth, it sounds like you two were just off the edge of the Rock pile.
Be aware that, as always, the 250 East parking area is really ugly. Apparently, there are springs in that area and the mud is deep on the road by the parking lot. The parking area is plowed.
Here’s a photo of the 32 incher. 
[Image: A70-A298-D-CA31-4-F22-A9-AD-65-C2-E1545921.jpg]
Hey Kent, we were at BL as well, however we hit Cisco Beach area... no big fish for us however we did get some 20 something cuts and a pup mac and a good bunch of whitefish including a little bigger one than last trip, it was a little over 17"... Between Matt, Skyler and I, I think we had 7 or 8 trout and probably the same or a few more whitefish... Fun day but sure got slow after noon... We wondered about the rock pile, but I didn't know the ice was getting up to where I'd feel safe out there... Didn't seem like it was much thicker at Cisco than it was last Friday, so glad to hear it's getting better on the west side... Thanks for the report... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-09-2022, 08:04 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Kent, we were at BL as well, however we hit Cisco Beach area...  no big fish for us however we did get some 20 something cuts and a pup mac and a good bunch of whitefish including a little bigger one than last trip, it was a little over 17"... Between Matt, Skyler and I, I think we had 7 or 8 trout and probably the same or a few more whitefish... Fun day but sure got slow after noon... We wondered about the rock pile, but I didn't know the ice was getting up to where I'd feel safe out there... Didn't seem like it was much thicker at Cisco than it was last Friday, so glad to hear it's getting better on the west side... Thanks for the report... Later Jeff

We almost went to Cisco beach, but glad that we went to the rock pile.
Don't blame you that's a great fish... Rock pile is great, I'd like to give it a try myself while the ice lasts... Hope I can get back over there... Later Jeff
Sounds like you guys had a great trip. Congrats to Kory on the nice mack.
(02-09-2022, 08:04 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Kent, we were at BL as well, however we hit Cisco Beach area...  no big fish for us however we did get some 20 something cuts and a pup mac and a good bunch of whitefish including a little bigger one than last trip, it was a little over 17"... Between Matt, Skyler and I, I think we had 7 or 8 trout and probably the same or a few more whitefish... Fun day but sure got slow after noon... We wondered about the rock pile, but I didn't know the ice was getting up to where I'd feel safe out there... Didn't seem like it was much thicker at Cisco than it was last Friday, so glad to hear it's getting better on the west side... Thanks for the report... Later Jeff

Good to see you guys got into some nice fish Kent. It was a great day to be out for sure Jeff. Just wish I could have got more than some little white fish. You and sky did much better. Here's a few pics of that crazy looking stacked ice.  Be aware that the ice went from 2.5in out further to 20in where it got stacked. 

[Image: 20220208-095004.jpg]

[Image: 20220208-095024.jpg]

[Image: 20220208-095724.jpg]

[Image: 20220208-095759.jpg]

[Image: 20220208-100422.jpg]
Hey Matt that's a first if I caught more fish than you, you have the touch most of the time... Sure would like to get back over there, but I have some other stuff going so I don't know if I'll make it back while the ice is still there... Temps sure went up here in Cache valley yesterday and snow was melting all over... Don't know how it played out in Bear lake, but I'm sure it won't help the ice... Thanks for joining me on the that trip, was fun to visit again... Later Jeff