Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Nightshift
I went back to my spot from Friday morning, punched some holes set up my shelter around 6pm. Like clock work the Crappie began to appear as darkness set in. It took me until 10pm to catch my 20, there was 2 other guys who joined me and they caught 5 between them. It is not an easy bite, but once you learn the way of the fishing force and factor in the Spidey Sence it’s a snap. I was in 40ft. Of water half way up the narrows 300 yards west of the big pressure ridge, which is farther than most folks are willing to walk from the Dam or the Windsurfing Beach. They where stacked up from the bottom to 20ft. I used a gold Kastmaster with the split rings removed with an 8” dropper to a 1/32 glow Gizzy Bug tipped with meal worm and or glow crappie nibbles.. I mainly caught my fish off the top of the pile, I would drop down into the fish, dead sticking in my hand, occasionally  moving up or down, the bite for the most part is a whisper, you sense it more than feel or see it. 
[Image: 3-C19-C444-A938-47-C0-BF5-C-2-EF4-D5294385.jpg]

[Image: CF022-A2-E-C2-BA-4-DA9-95-C6-D03-DC7-B751-EC.jpg]
(02-13-2022, 04:07 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I went back to my spot from Friday morning, punched some holes set up my shelter around 6pm. Like clock work the Crappie began to appear as darkness set in. It took me until 10pm to catch my 20, there was 2 other guys who joined me and they caught 5 between them. It is not an easy bite, but once you learn the way of the fishing force and factor in the Spidey Sence it’s a snap. I was in 40ft. Of water half way up the narrows 300 yards west of the big pressure ridge, which is farther than most folks are willing to walk from the Dam or the Windsurfing Beach. They where stacked up from the bottom to 20ft. I used a gold Kastmaster with the split rings removed with an 8” dropper to a 1/32 glow Gizzy Bug tipped with meal worm and or glow crappie nibbles.. I mainly caught my fish off the top of the pile, I would drop down into the fish, dead sticking in my hand, occasionally  moving up or down, the bite for the most part is a whisper, you sense it more than feel or see it. 
[Image: 3-C19-C444-A938-47-C0-BF5-C-2-EF4-D5294385.jpg]

[Image: CF022-A2-E-C2-BA-4-DA9-95-C6-D03-DC7-B751-EC.jpg]
Nicely done, OBI 1....3 or 4 years ago we were doing really good at PV for the late evening crappie bite..lot of fun, but only when you figure out that super lite crappie bite, and more or less just anticipate the bite....sounds like you have it figured out..mighty fine eating too....Guluk
Nice mess of fish Shaun
Guess we should start calling you the crappie whisperer Shawn, way to go.
Nice pile. Hope the ice holds, want to try to get up there next weekend for an evening.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Nicely done Obi1! The Pineview crappie bite in the evening has been by far the most consistent for me this year, but it is super light. If a person doesn't have a spring bobber or something similar, it would be next to impossible to know there was a crappie down there. I'm hoping to get back up there again this week for some more action.
Good job, Shaun!

Last time I was there I was all over fish that weren't biting, so I guess the less suspicious fish are farther out. I never mind walking, but in past years I was fishing blind (no sonar), so I always assumed finding fish was the problem. I feel pretty confident I have bite detection worked out, so I learned something, and now I hope I've learned to things.

The only dilemma is: the first two trips I caught a bunch. Last time, only 5, but they all went 10-1/2" instead of 9-1/2". so...................

Shaun, question, though.

I have never fished much with a flasher (like you had a gold Castmaster inline, 8" dropper, right?). With such a light bite, I have always just relied on 2 lb test line and as big a jig as I can get away with, but as small as I have to, to get bites. I always seem to be fishing a pretty small jig, pretty deep, over-all at PV.

PROFILE-wise a Gizzy Bug on a1/32 jighead isn't TINY, so it's nice to know I'm not really over-sizing my jigs, but I guess I always assumed that having something (like a flasher) between my jig and my spring-bobbers or (slip bobbers) would really interfere with bite detection. I have no real problem with bite detection with a home-made Hali-jig type (cheap spoon with a swivel and hook), and I'm often surprised how well I do with fairly large jigs at PV, but sometimes I feel I need to downsize.

I'd be MORE than happy not to have to feed line slowly down a hole with a jig that will barely straighten line out, so a little extra weight would be good. Between the cold night-time temps and the darkness, especially when I was forced to be outside a shelter, I DO feel like I spend a lot of time managing line; getting it own a hole and untangled from the ice chips around the holes, etc, all of which is easier with something I can FEEL on my line, if only subtly, BUT..........I also pick up plenty of fish on "negative" bites on the drop or jigging, and I know a lot of takes are just little sideways movements of my jig (where I feel like the fish would feel the spoon before I see it).

Usually if I want more weight, I tie a short dropper ABOVE my main jig and add a smaller jig of a different type, but honestly, I almost always catch fish on the "main" jig and seldom on the addition.

So, what's your take? It obviously works for you. Is it just worth it, having the line down the hole more of the time? Does a gold flasher do much in the dark? Does it change the way you jig, the way jigging feels, or the way jigging looks to the fish? How big IS this spoon? Is there something I haven't even considered about this?

Thanks.....
(02-14-2022, 02:36 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Good job, Shaun! 

Last time I was there I was all over fish that weren't biting, so I guess the less suspicious fish are farther out.  I never mind walking, but in past years I was fishing blind (no sonar), so I always assumed finding fish was the problem.  I feel pretty confident I have bite detection worked out, so I learned something, and now I hope I've learned to things.

The only dilemma is:  the first two trips I caught a bunch. Last time, only 5, but they all went 10-1/2" instead of 9-1/2". so...................

Shaun, question, though.

I have never fished much with a flasher (like you had a gold Castmaster inline, 8" dropper, right?).  With such a light bite, I have always just relied on 2 lb test line and as big a jig as I can get away with, but as small as I have to, to get bites.  I always seem to be fishing a pretty small jig, pretty deep, over-all at PV.

PROFILE-wise a Gizzy Bug on a1/32 jighead isn't TINY, so it's nice to know I'm not really over-sizing my jigs, but I guess I always assumed that having something (like a flasher) between my jig and my spring-bobbers or (slip bobbers) would really interfere with bite detection.  I have no real problem with bite detection with a home-made Hali-jig type (cheap spoon with a swivel and hook), and I'm often surprised how well I do with fairly large jigs at PV, but sometimes I feel I need to downsize.

I'd be MORE than happy not to have to feed line slowly down a hole with a jig that will barely straighten line out, so a little extra weight would be good.  Between the cold night-time temps and the darkness, especially when I was forced to be outside a shelter, I DO feel like I spend a lot of time managing line; getting it own a hole and untangled from the ice chips around the holes, etc, all of which is easier with something I can FEEL on my line, if only subtly, BUT..........I also pick up plenty of fish on "negative" bites on the drop or jigging, and I know a lot of takes are just little sideways movements of my jig (where I feel like the fish would feel the spoon before I see it).

Usually if I want more weight, I tie a short dropper ABOVE my main jig and add a smaller jig of a different type, but honestly, I almost always catch fish on the "main" jig and seldom on the addition.

So, what's your take?  It obviously works for you.  Is it just worth it, having the line down the hole more of the time?  Does a gold flasher do much in the dark?  Does it change the way you jig, the way jigging feels, or the way jigging looks to the fish?  How big IS this spoon?  Is there something I haven't even considered about this?

Thanks.....
The 1/4oz. Kastmaster serves two purposes, It does add some attraction for sure drawing the fishes curiosity to my much smaller jig, it does not need to be gold, I also have a glow perch pattern, I use some times, more importantly it allows me to get down to the fish much quicker in deep water, it would take forever to drop 1/32 oz. jig down 40'.  One modification that I do is, remove the split rings and hook and tie directly to the spoon, I believe this helps to make a more direct connection to my jig with less slop. I don't use a spring bobber or float, all of my rods have a sensitive enough tip to detect bites. The difference between catching a few fish and a lot of fish regularly is recognizing when you are getting bit and putting the hook to them which means that I swing and miss a lot, but what I've learned is, if you miss drop it right back down, they will hit it again, I have missed the hook set a half dozen times before connecting on many occasion. Jigging technique is another big factor in getting bit versus just looked at by fish, My most common tactic is to jig to bring the fish onto my screen then dead stick in my hand at the level of the fish and watch for the lightest of bites, rarely do I try and set the hook on the first tap, I try to anticipate the next one and pull up as the fish pulls down. Side note while there are times to jig several feet of the water Colum like when drawing fish in from a distance, most jigging action is in the wrist and hand, small movements shaking the jig more than anything. In fact I think most people jig to aggressively, I watched a video recently of people fishing with an under water camera they where fishing for trout with a number of fish on their screen and they where catching fish but all I kept thinking was stop jigging, the fish are on your stuff, you would get bit a lot more if you just hold it still. Another commonly missed bite is the slack line bite if your dropping down and your line go's slack before you hit the bottom lift up same if your dead sticking and it goes slack a fish has picked it up. You will catch fish constantly jigging and it may be a good choice for people that are not capable or attentive enough to detect subtle bites because you will eventually lift up as a fish grabs your jig on the drop just less effective.
(02-14-2022, 04:42 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 02:36 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Good job, Shaun! 

Last time I was there I was all over fish that weren't biting, so I guess the less suspicious fish are farther out.  I never mind walking, but in past years I was fishing blind (no sonar), so I always assumed finding fish was the problem.  I feel pretty confident I have bite detection worked out, so I learned something, and now I hope I've learned to things.

The only dilemma is:  the first two trips I caught a bunch. Last time, only 5, but they all went 10-1/2" instead of 9-1/2". so...................

Shaun, question, though.

I have never fished much with a flasher (like you had a gold Castmaster inline, 8" dropper, right?).  With such a light bite, I have always just relied on 2 lb test line and as big a jig as I can get away with, but as small as I have to, to get bites.  I always seem to be fishing a pretty small jig, pretty deep, over-all at PV.

PROFILE-wise a Gizzy Bug on a1/32 jighead isn't TINY, so it's nice to know I'm not really over-sizing my jigs, but I guess I always assumed that having something (like a flasher) between my jig and my spring-bobbers or (slip bobbers) would really interfere with bite detection.  I have no real problem with bite detection with a home-made Hali-jig type (cheap spoon with a swivel and hook), and I'm often surprised how well I do with fairly large jigs at PV, but sometimes I feel I need to downsize.

I'd be MORE than happy not to have to feed line slowly down a hole with a jig that will barely straighten line out, so a little extra weight would be good.  Between the cold night-time temps and the darkness, especially when I was forced to be outside a shelter, I DO feel like I spend a lot of time managing line; getting it own a hole and untangled from the ice chips around the holes, etc, all of which is easier with something I can FEEL on my line, if only subtly, BUT..........I also pick up plenty of fish on "negative" bites on the drop or jigging, and I know a lot of takes are just little sideways movements of my jig (where I feel like the fish would feel the spoon before I see it).

So, what's your take?  It obviously works for you.  Is it just worth it, having the line down the hole more of the time?  Does a gold flasher do much in the dark?  Does it change the way you jig, the way jigging feels, or the way jigging looks to the fish?  How big IS this spoon?  Is there something I haven't even considered about this?

Thanks.....
The 1/4oz. Kastmaster serves two purposes, It does add some attraction for sure drawing the fishes curiosity to my much smaller jig, it does not need to be gold, I also have a glow perch pattern, I use some times, more importantly it allows me to get down to the fish much quicker in deep water, it would take forever to drop 1/32 oz. jig down 40'.  One modification that I do is, remove the split rings and hook and tie directly to the spoon, I believe this helps to make a more direct connection to my jig with less slop. I don't use a spring bobber or float, all of my rods have a sensitive enough tip to detect bites. The difference between catching a few fish and a lot of fish regularly is recognizing when you are getting bit and putting the hook to them which means that I swing and miss a lot, but what I've learned is, if you miss drop it right back down, they will hit it again, I have missed the hook set a half dozen times before connecting on many occasion. Jigging technique is another big factor in getting bit versus just looked at by fish, My most common tactic is to jig to bring the fish onto my screen then dead stick in my hand at the level of the fish and watch for the lightest of bites, rarely do I try and set the hook on the first tap, I try to anticipate the next one and pull up as the fish pulls down. Side note while there are times to jig several feet of the water Colum like when drawing fish in from a distance, most jigging action is in the wrist and hand, small movements shaking the jig more than anything. In fact I think most people jig to aggressively, I watched a video recently of people fishing with an under water camera they where fishing for trout with a number of fish on their screen and they where catching fish but all I kept thinking was stop jigging, the fish are on your stuff, you would get bit a lot more if you just hold it still. Another commonly missed bite is the slack line bite if your dropping down and your line go's slack before you hit the bottom lift up same if your dead sticking and it goes slack a fish has picked it up. You will catch fish constantly jigging and it may be a good choice for people that are not capable or attentive enough to detect subtle bites because you will eventually lift up as a fish grabs your jig on the drop just less effective.
Thanks for all this info. I think this will work in open water from a boat. I'll try it when the ice melts.
Nice job.
"One modification that I do is, remove the split rings and hook and tie directly to the spoon, I believe this helps to make a more direct connection to my jig with less slop."

That's good thinking.....

Literally everything else you wrote is exactly what I would have written, if I was telling someone new to PV the basics at PV, although I appreciate the effort. I DO use spring bobbers because I use my home-made rods, usually, but if I'm getting bites, i see them. I catch lots of crappie at PV, so that isn't my problem.

Just hoping for specific insight on that inline spoon thing. Sounds like it doesn't, then? But, you mentioned "slack-line" bites, which I didn't mention specifically, and did mention called "negative bites".

This is the kind of thing I was wondering. Your tackle is going down the hole, a and a crappie grabs your jig. Now, before you can notice the "slack line bite" the line has to be slack, but that means the fish has your jig in his mouth, and the spoon hanging tight against his mouth, or you don't see slack. See what I mean? In my experience, light-biting, or finicky fish are going to hate that feeling of the weight and spit out the little jig long before you realize your line is truly slack. Won't they?

Or is your line tight all the way down? Does it just not matter? It is only an 8" dropper, you said.
(02-14-2022, 09:43 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "One modification that I do is, remove the split rings and hook and tie directly to the spoon, I believe this helps to make a more direct connection to my jig with less slop."

Literally everything else you wrote is exactly what I would have written, if I was telling someone new to PV the basics at PV, although I appreciate the effort.  I DO use spring bobbers because I use my home-made rods, usually, but if I'm getting bites, i see them.  I catch lots of crappie at PV, so that isn't my problem.

Just hoping for specific insight on that inline spoon thing.  Sounds like it doesn't, then?  But, you mentioned "slack-line" bites, which I didn't mention specifically, and did mention called "negative bites".

This is the kind of thing I was wondering. Your tackle is going down the hole, a and a crappie grabs your jig.  Now, before you can notice the "slack line bite" the line has to be slack, but that means the fish has your jig in his mouth, and the spoon hanging tight against his mouth, or you don't see slack.  See what I mean?  In my experience, light-biting, or finicky fish are going to hate that feeling of the weight and spit out the little jig long before you realize your line is truly slack.  Won't they?

Or is your line tight all the way down?  Does it just not matter?  It is only an 8" dropper, you said.
Yes 6-8” dropper and my line does stay tight on the drop unless I get a negative bite. I keep my dropper short so I think on a negative bite I still see my line pause and give it a lift. I’m watching my jig drop on my fish finder and often times see the fish rise to it and I’ll pause before it gets there, I think the fish that are picking it up on the drop are the aggressive fish and are not bothered by a 1/8th oz Kastmaster even if the fish drops the jig it will probably pick it up again. I only catch a very small percentage on a negative bite anyway, the vast majority come on the dead stick in my hand. I would gladly miss a few fish on the drop if I can get my jig back down in the target zone quicker.
(02-15-2022, 12:02 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 09:43 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "One modification that I do is, remove the split rings and hook and tie directly to the spoon, I believe this helps to make a more direct connection to my jig with less slop."

Literally everything else you wrote is exactly what I would have written, if I was telling someone new to PV the basics at PV, although I appreciate the effort.  I DO use spring bobbers because I use my home-made rods, usually, but if I'm getting bites, i see them.  I catch lots of crappie at PV, so that isn't my problem.

Just hoping for specific insight on that inline spoon thing.  Sounds like it doesn't, then?  But, you mentioned "slack-line" bites, which I didn't mention specifically, and did mention called "negative bites".

This is the kind of thing I was wondering. Your tackle is going down the hole, a and a crappie grabs your jig.  Now, before you can notice the "slack line bite" the line has to be slack, but that means the fish has your jig in his mouth, and the spoon hanging tight against his mouth, or you don't see slack.  See what I mean?  In my experience, light-biting, or finicky fish are going to hate that feeling of the weight and spit out the little jig long before you realize your line is truly slack.  Won't they?

Or is your line tight all the way down?  Does it just not matter?  It is only an 8" dropper, you said.
Yes 6-8” dropper and my line does stay tight on the drop unless I get a negative bite. I keep my dropper short so I think on a negative bite I still see my line pause and give it a lift. I’m watching my jig drop on my fish finder and often times see the fish rise to it and I’ll pause before it gets there, I think the fish that are picking it up on the drop are the aggressive fish and are not bothered by a 1/8th oz Kastmaster even if the fish drops the jig it will probably pick it up again. I only catch a very small percentage on a negative bite anyway, the vast majority come on the dead stick in my hand. I would gladly miss a few fish on the drop if I can get my jig back down in the target zone quicker.
Ok, that makes sense as I think through it.  Thanks for being patient with me wen I get hyper-focused. 

I wasn't taking the fish-finder itself into consideration, which is funny because I finally have a cheapo hand-held unit and I quickly learned to do the same, at least to find the depth where the fish are coming through.  Mine isn't good enough to see fish hit it, though. 

I will say I have less luck getting them to hit a second time if I miss even a tap.
I will say that for ice fishing, I often have something like a Hali as a “weight” to get my bait down quickly. And perch and crappie seem to love them just as much as other standard ice fare. When fish are below me, I want to get my bait back down as quickly as possible to keep their attention as long as possible, and waiting for a tiny, light jig to get down 30-40’ is not the way to do that. I use a 3-way swivel and drop the “weight” about a foot and a half. On the remaining open spot on the swivel I’ll put a smaller, lighter jig like a rat finkie or teardrop jig about 6” below the swivel. Both lures catch fish, but I do get more perch on the bottom lure for obvious reasons. I hope the crappie are still around and willing to play later this week. Nice to hear that they are still being caught!
Hi nice batch of fish! How thick was the ice? Thanks for the post
(02-16-2022, 01:18 AM)BIGGERRED Wrote: Hi nice batch of fish! How thick was the ice? Thanks for the post

Plenty thick, I didn’t measure I would guess 18” the edges where great too.