Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Invite for Saturday 2/26
I am going chase the Kokes at Ririe on 2/26, I'm planning on setting up on my go to soft water spot south of the Juniper ramp if any one wants to join me the more the merrier.
(02-21-2022, 01:58 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I am going chase the Kokes at Ririe on 2/26, I'm planning on setting up on my go to soft water spot south of the Juniper ramp if any one wants to join me the more the merrier.

Are you planning on just driving up for the day or are you staying up there for the weekend? I've been thinking about fishing that lake for years and it would be nice to fish it with someone that knows it well. Do you take snowmobles, ATV's or just walk out? If you walk out, how far is it from the parking area?
(02-21-2022, 02:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 01:58 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I am going chase the Kokes at Ririe on 2/26, I'm planning on setting up on my go to soft water spot south of the Juniper ramp if any one wants to join me the more the merrier.

Are you planning on just driving up for the day or are you staying up there for the weekend? I've been thinking about fishing that lake for years and it would be nice to fish it with someone that knows it well. Do you take snowmobles, ATV's or just walk out? If you walk out, how far is it from the parking area?

I'm staying the weekend at my mother in laws in Idaho Falls and will only be fishing Saturday, Allen is considering coming up for the day, you may be able to ride with him or see if there are other guys from down here that want to car pool, Ririe is less than 3 hours from my place in Roy. I'm planning on walking, the spot I'm planning on fishing is only a couple hundred yards from the ramp, you will want to get there early as parking can fill up after sunrise. I'm planning on getting there around 6:15 am. I just got off the phone with Fast Randy he will be there.

I'm staying the weekend at my mother in laws in Idaho Falls and will only be fishing Saturday, Allen is considering coming up for the day, you may be able to ride with him or see if there are other guys from down here that want to car pool, Ririe is less than 3 hours from my place in Roy. I'm planning on walking, the spot I'm planning on fishing is only a couple hundred yards from the ramp, you will want to get there early as parking can fill up after sunrise. I'm planning on getting there around 6:15 am. I just got off the phone with Fast Randy he will be there.

Dam, I'd be there, but have state wrestling, I've been wanting to get up there.
Wow great to see all the posts in one day no matter what or where in Idaho. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was alive these days. Is Ririe catching anything at all? Last time anyone posted, it was pretty slim pickings. Wont be long before hard water starts to recede and get to the point that those of us who cant ice fish start thinking about getting the boat ready for some fun. Just hope that Kokes and perch are back like they started to show up last fall.
(02-22-2022, 02:07 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Wow great to see all the posts in one day no matter what or where in Idaho. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was alive these days. Is Ririe catching anything at all?  Last time anyone posted, it was pretty slim pickings. Wont be long before hard water starts to recede and get to the point that those of us who cant ice fish start thinking about getting the boat ready for some fun. Just hope that Kokes and perch are back like they started to show up last fall.

I've seen some recent reports on FB of people catching some Kokes, I think most people forget that the Koke fishing through the Ice at Ririe typically does not get consistent until February every year.

Kurt, I heard that I'm going to see you on Saturday.
(02-23-2022, 01:58 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I'll be there, will be a long day but it will be a good way to learn the lake a little and hopefully catch some kokes and perch. What jigs do you use and what bait is best for the kokes?
(02-23-2022, 02:16 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 01:58 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I'll be there, will be a long day but it will be a good way to learn the lake a little and hopefully catch some kokes and perch. What jigs do you use and what bait is best for the kokes?
The go to for the kokes there is a pink Swedish Pimple, I tip mine with gulp maggots or corn, I'm also going to bring some pink shrimpos under sling blade dodgers and I'll have my standard perch rig a chartreuse gizzy bug under a gold kastmaster.
Thanks, I'll look around and see how much I can find of those jigs. Have you ever used a pink rat finkee for the kokes?
(02-23-2022, 02:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks, I'll look around and see how much I can find of those jigs. Have you ever used a pink rat finkee for the kokes?
Yup, those will work under a sling blade, you want something with some weight to it to get back down quickly when the school comes through. That is totally interchangeable with a shrimpo,if you have rat finkys go with them.
Thanks obifish, I cant ice fish any longer and I forget that. Good reminder for everyone.
I will see you there. I plan to be there just before 7:00. I use sling blades and pink rat finkees about a foot below the sling blade. It is a good idea to have some perch stuff. I will have a pole going for trout also, with minnows and Sucker meat.
Randy, Shawn, Alan and I made it up to Ririe yesterday, catching was slow for most of us, with only 7 bows landed between us. It was still nice to get out and fish a new lake. Thanks Shawn for the invite.
It was a beautiful day on the ice. Great to meet Alan. I'm going back Wednesday. 40 degrees and the In-Fisherman solunar calender says best day of the month. Best times it says 10 to 12 am. I assume that is Eastern time. This will be a good test. It said Saturday would be slow. But mainly I can't pass up ice fishing in 40 degrees. You guys should come back up.
Dam, that don't sound good, have heard it's been slow there.
(02-27-2022, 05:34 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Dam, that don't sound good, have heard it's been slow there.

Seen lots of deer on the drive in and few along the hill as we were walking out. I was glad the ramp wasn't any longer on the hike up, as we were leaving. Would be a great place to take a atv or a side by side.
Yea, it's a bit of a climb, was it dry.
It was pretty tough the Kokanee schools never showed, I spoke with a guy who fishes there a lot and he spent 8 hours the day before with out them showing, The good news is if your interested in catching Rainbows they are fairly easy, I caught 6 while I was there 1 on my kokanee gear and 5 from a hole I punched 20 feet off the bank in less than 20 ft. of water, where I set my jaw jacker, only one fish was hooked by the jaw jacker the other 4 where hooked after it went off and missed and I was resetting it. I'm pretty positive I could have caught 20+ bows if I had concentrated on them. I got them on an 1/8th. oz. pink jig head with a white twin tail grub tipped with a small piece of night crawler. The bottom 5 ft. of the water Coolum was tough to see on the electronics as your jig would get lost in the broken rock that makes up the bottom but if you drop your gear down to the bottom reel up a couple turns and shake your jig you should get bit. It was great fishing with you guys telling stories, I hope you don't base your opinion of the catching at Ririe on this one trip I have had a lot of epic days on that lake and it is one of the most consistent kokanee lakes I have fished, regularly putting 45+ fish in the boat.
Thanks for the invite and it was great to meet Randy. Although the target species eluded is it was good to get a feel for the lake for a return trip. Thanks Curt for the company on the trip, enjoyed our discussions