Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladders Area Ice Thickness?
Hi All,

I'm wondering if snow machines can safely be taken on the ice from the ladders area on Strawberry . . . assuming we were to give a wide berth to the area where the water flows in?

This will be our first ice fishing trip of the year up at Strawberry . . . hoping for an easy way on the ice, but don't want to get us in trouble . . .

Thanks in advance.

PS . . . We have made a couple of trips to Scofield this winter . . . good fishing both times for skinny Cutts from 12 to 16 inches and the occasional Rainbow (standard 1/16 ounce plastic jigs and meal worms)
Two weeks ago a member said he fished there and there was snow machines out there and as cold as it's been I doubt you would have any issues.
Thanks for the info on Scofield.
You will be fine, as long as you follow your own advice regarding avoiding the area around where the river enters Strawberry.
Thank you both for your responses . . . from the reports I saw earlier in the season, t sounded like kind of a weird year for ice forming on that part of the reservoir . . . Will report back on our results.
Circling back with a report . . . Chilly day . . . one truck registered a morning temperature of -21 degrees as we drove along the north side before light. Even though the sun was out and the wind wasn't bad, it stayed cold . . . without shelters, breaking the ice in the holes and clearing it from the guides and line was a constant necessity. We accessed ice at the Ladders and headed south with no issues. We ended up fishing in the narrows and had good, if not super fast fishing. We used green and white plastic jigs tipped with meal worms and caught over 50 fish between 3 of us. The majority were slot Cutts up to 21 inches, but there were a fair amount of healthy rainbows mixed in. The fish where biting very light for us, and the most successful approach was dead sticking with a wire tip to help identify the take.
(02-28-2022, 03:57 PM)Thrillathehunt Wrote: Circling back with a report . . . Chilly day . . . one truck registered a morning temperature of -21 degrees as we drove along the north side before light.  Even though the sun was out and the wind wasn't bad, it stayed cold . . . without shelters, breaking the ice in the holes and clearing it from the guides and line was a constant necessity.  We accessed ice at the Ladders and headed south with no issues. We ended up fishing in the narrows and had good, if not super fast fishing.  We used green and white plastic jigs tipped with meal worms and caught over 50 fish between 3 of us.  The majority were slot Cutts up to 21 inches, but there were a fair amount of healthy rainbows mixed in.  The fish where biting very light for us, and the most successful approach was dead sticking with a wire tip to help identify the take.

Thanks for the report. Wow, that is a long trip from the ladders to the Narrows, any idea how far it is?
And how much time it takes?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My best guess from Google maps is that a one way trip was 6 to 7 miles from the parking area. It would take forever to walk or cross country ski there, but we were on snowmobiles traveling at about 35 mph or so . . . the trip is super cold on the way out, but it doesn't take too long in the grand scheme of things . . .
(03-01-2022, 01:19 AM)Thrillathehunt Wrote: My best guess from Google maps is that a one way trip was 6 to 7 miles from the parking area.  It would take forever to walk or cross country ski there, but we were on snowmobiles traveling at about 35 mph or so . . . the trip is super cold on the way out, but it doesn't take too long in the grand scheme of things . . .

Any slush issues or seen?
No . . . last Saturday the ice was solid with a few inches of powder on top . . . this week's warmer temperatures could change things