Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clear Lake, Idaho - Fly Fishing
Anyone hear of a little lake up in Idaho called Clear Lake? It's a little north of Jerome on I-84, right off the Snake River. There's a golf course and a fish farm there, and it's a constant 55 degrees all year. I've been up there a handful of times and had a blast. The first time I went there two years ago I caught about 70 trout in about 5 hours, all ranging in size from 12-21".

Now, I know what you're going to say - "Yay, hatchery fishing, what fun!" But I can tell you that this little 15 acre lake is not the fishin pond at the sports show. Fly fishing only (maybe lures, I forget), only two fish may be harvested, and $10 to fish all day. It has an outlet that heads down to the Snake and fishing it gives a great experience to try out your river techniques with your flies. I fished from my pontoon with the electric motor, but there are no motor boats allowed.

I've taken some die-hard fly fisherman there who were skeptical about going, but ended up having a great time. One of them just called me last month wondering if I was planning on going again soon. The great thing about it is that we Utah fisherman who want to get off the ice during winter can go dip a line in liquid ice to break the monotony. I'd like to make a run there in April if time permits.

You won't break any size records there, but the lakes got enough holes, inlets, and brush to give you somewhat of a challenge. The trout I caught fought hard - all rainbows. Some days are better than others of course, but I've never been skunked. So, if you're tired of the solid water here and would like to start getting ready for ice-off fly fishing, consider giving it a shot. You never know, you might have fun!

If anyone has any experiences fishing there I'd like to hear them and compare notes.

BTW, here's a link to a story about it.

[url "http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/clearlake.htm"]http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/clearlake.htm[/url]

-Archie
[signature]
You said it best with they aren't you average stockers. Well they aren't the little dinks you'ld normally expect. Actually the fish that are stocked are 2+ pounds from a commercial hatchery not some state run minnow hatchery. I'd still call them hatchery pets stocked so often the fishing is always great. I don't see why they just don't let you move around from raising pond to the next, it would be about the same.

Here's a quote from the utahoutdoors about this place.

"I would definitely recommend Clear Lake to the young or beginning fly-fisher. This is a great place to learn as well as polish skills, for hookup success is a great motivator."

"Just prior to my last visit, some 2,000 rainbows in the two pound plus range were stocked. Whenever fishing slows, more trout are planted."
[signature]
I go to clear lakes every April. It is a great confidence booster or tune up for summer. There is one waterfall in particular that I try to claim as early in the morning as possible. I love this lake because no two days are the same. Some days I catch them on tiny nymphs, other days a large leech will work just fine. If the wind is not blowing in the middle of the day I go to my dry flies. Can you say 40 2lb+ fish a day on a dry fly!!! One day the fish were absolutely out of control. They were attacking a chernoble ant like it was their native diet. On another day they would not hit anything bigger than a size 20 midge. I will be there during the second week in April for spring break. I read somewhere that the price has been raised to $20. Is that true? One thing to remember is that most people get tired and quit fishing by about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. The fishing really seems to take off when everybody goes home for the day. I guess that is no different then anywhere else. Most people either get tired or give up way too early. The water is really clear. Where polarized glasses so that you can spot and stock in your float tube or pontoon. The lake is shallow so a dry line and a slow or medium sinker will suffice. I like to use a dry line with a 14' leader. The fish are not hard to catch but they have seen a lot of leaders so go small. Another fun method at this particular lake is to throw weighted nymphs up into the waterfalls. Use a strike indicator to see when a fish takes the nymph. I look forward to this trip every year. I wish there was something like this closer.

Good Luck Ya'll

WindRiver
[signature]
I've been there once. I don't know how many fish I caught but at one point I caught 20 fish on 20 casts in a row and two fish at the same time once if that's any indication. You should know all this because you were there! I just hope you're planning on taking me when you go again![Wink]

FM
[signature]
[size 1]I have never fished Clear Lake but know several guys that did a few years ago. They said it was fun and caught several 5+ pound rainbows on dries. Crystal Lake isn’t bad deal if you were from out of state or don’t fish often because you don't need a fishing license to fish a private pond. Unless you don’t have anywhere else to fish I think private ponds like this are only good for working on technique and building confidence. I have fished several other private ponds in Idaho and it was fun to pull in a 20"+ rainbow every cast on a dry fly but I don’t get the same adrenaline rush that I get when catch one wild 20" rainbow. [/size]
[signature]
Archie, you're making me homesick! I grew up in Buhl fishing and golfing with my dad at Clear Lakes. I've attached a pic for those who want to see one of the better trout you can hook into.

My parents still live up there. I am thinking I need to go visit them, soon.

Sorry! I am not able to post an attachment for some reason(any help mods?)

ES
[signature]
Fishmagnet, huh? Good call Ryan. Yep, I want to go again, so let's plan on April, or earlier. Maybe next Saturday? My honey will be in Kansas, so we could head up on Friday (I've got some comp time from work, so maybe I'll take Friday off).

Let me know - I'll start tying my flies.

Cary
[signature]
Sounds good to me. I'll talk to you know who and see what she thinks. My only question is.....Archie??? If you don't want to answer you can tell me later. Good thing I found you on BFT so I can see what you're up to.[Wink]

Fm
[signature]
I know - I'm not very responsive, am I? About next weekend - weather up there supposed to be mid 50s with rain showers, lows upper 30s. Isn't there a sports show at South Towne next weekend? I heard one was coming but can't remember when.

Archie came from my nuclear submarine days in the Navy. My first day on board the first nuke I served on my division gave me a choice: Archie or Julie (last name Andrews...). I chose Archie so for the next few years that's all I was known as. Since I have (or had as is now the case) red hair, Archie Andrews kind of fit. So now you know the history.

Let's talk this week by phone. We don't always have to use BFT. [Smile]

AA
[signature]
best fly to use up there is Gobbba Guts. They work awsome. Seen some big fish taken on em.

Trent
[signature]
I've used a flesh fly but I've never heard of that one. What does it look like?

FM
[signature]
basicly very ugly bright orange chenellie with white marabou tied in. Use the base and ugly parts that you normal wouldn't. If you live close to Kaysville stop in at hooked and take a look so you can tie it up

Trent
[signature]
I AGREE WITH BRIANID, PRIVATE PONDS CAN BE FUN FOR THE KIDS AND NEWBIES. I MAY EVEN BE TEMPTED IN ONE TO TRY OUT SOME NEW TRICKS...BUT I USUALLY COME UP WITH THOSE TRICKS WHILE IM FISHING IN THE "WILD". NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INNOVATION GENTLEMEN, SO IT MAY BE A GREAT FISHERY BUT I WOULD RATHER GO GET ME SOME WILD FISH, I MEAN THATS GOTTA BE LIKE HITTING ON GIRLS IN A GIRL ONLY SCHOOL...THEY TAKE THE BAIT CAUSE ITS THE ONLY WORM IN THE POND.....RIGHT??
[signature]
Yes of course it's not the same but it's still fun. Clear Lake is nice because it's about the only lake around that you can tube on any time of the year and yes I'd like to take my son out and get him some experience catching fish from his new tube before we hit the Berry etc. this summer.
[signature]