Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Size and Drought Musings
I've kept fairly detailed records over the past few ice fishing seasons, and it seems to me that the average fish size is down.  I know there are exceptions, but fish length has been shorter and many fish seem leaner too.  My theory is that lower water levels have the same effect as increased fish populations; in other words, waters are relatively overpopulated (more fish per unit of water) during a drought.  My guess is this may affect forage species as well, resulting in less food available.  Overall, this results in stunted growth, with average fish size down and fewer large fish to be found.

Lower water also affects water temperature, which can have the same or similar effects on fish size and prey availability.  And probably lots of other factors at play as well.  And of course, this is not restricted to ice season, but that's where I have my data set.

Anybody else see this trend the last couple of drought years, and especially this year?

jack of all tackle, master of none
It likely depends on what lakes you are fishing and the fish you are targeting. I'd say on some lakes you could be right but IMO I think it has more to do with the amount of people that have been getting out fishing the last couple of years. It's hard to keep those bigger fish in the lake when more and more people are out fishing and keeping the fish they catch. I've never seen the amount of people out fishing during the week, as I have in the last two years.
The average size of the bluegill in Mantua has definitely gone down in the last two years. The water level last summer was the lowest that I have ever seen it.
I think it depends on the specific lake you're fishing. 5 years ago, the perch were dinky in Pineview. Anythin 8" or better was rare. Now, 8" is a minimum with good numbers bigger. With crappie this year, they seem to be a full 1" or better bigger than they were last year. Just my observations on one lake...
All good points.

I hadn't thought about more people out and more people keeping more (and bigger) fish. I do like to eat a few myself.

I haven't been to Pineview in years and may have to give it another try.

I also wonder how lower water levels affect fish habitat and location. I've tried to guess weedline locations based on low water that has since rebounded. There could be other factors that affect location as well. Maybe the larger fish are just somewhere else and I'm fishing in the wrong spot? Meh, I'd lose the rest of my hair trying to figure that one out!

jack of all tackle, master of none
I have heard the expression that any man who claims to have women figured out will lie about other things too.  I suspect that we anglers who tend to overthink our sport might fall into the same category.  With all of the variables of weather, water levels, food availability, spawning success rates, DWR stocking and management, angler harvest, so looney tables, etc...it is a miracle that any of us ever even has enough guts to go fishing. 

Regarding Pineview, it has always been a water of cycles.  Because of the great variations in water levels from year to year, some years provide better spawning conditions than others...for different species.  Within a couple of years after a good spawn we see large numbers of small fish...perch or crappies specifically.  But because of the larger numbers of mouths to feed...and a limited amount of available food...the fish do not grow quickly and we catch nothing but small ones for several years.  But after that big year class has been thinned down...by angler harvest or natural attrition...and if there is a year or two of relative food abundance...then the numbers in our catch decrease but the size quality improves and we are happy again.  At least until the next cycle kicks in. 

Those of us who watch the fishing programs on TV...or a lot of videos...sometimes can't understand why our lakes in Utah do not produce the same ongoing quality of fishing as the lakes we see on the screen.  The short answer is that our lakes are all relatively new dammed (not damned) impoundments...created for irrigation...and not centuries old natural lakes with constant inflow and outflow to maintain the levels and food availability.  Our lakes are subject to wild fluctuations in water levels and water quality...not conducive to steady and consistent fish reproduction and growth. 

I gotta feel some sympathy for DWR.  They get blamed for everything and credit for very little.  But you can't manage the unmanageable.
But you can't manage the unmanageable.

Sounds like you may have worked with some of the same people I have along the way.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-04-2022, 04:18 PM)catchinon Wrote: But you can't manage the unmanageable.

Sounds like you may have worked with some of the same people I have along the way.

And...my own personal paraphrase from the famous saying by Abe Lincoln..."You can only fool some of the part time people."