Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Drive-by
Ran up to Willard this morning checking ice.  North Marina is open and appears to have lots of open water outside the marina. South marina is still locked up with open water starting into the channel.  Might be about time to load up the kayak and see what I can find. You don't know if you don't go.
[Image: IMG-20220302-113554082.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220302-115433696.jpg]
Thanks a lot.
great pictures
Still got ice in the open bay?
(03-02-2022, 09:51 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Ran up to Willard this morning checking ice.  North Marina is open and appears to have lots of open water outside the marina. South marina is still locked up with open water starting into the channel.  Might be about time to load up the kayak and see what I can find. You don't know if you don't go.

We have been thinking the same thing, should be able to still find some of those big fat mama perch before they spawn. Please let us know how it goes if you get out this week. Thanks for the drive by pics Larry.
(03-02-2022, 10:25 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Thanks a lot.
great pictures
Still got ice in the open bay?
I had a look see today too. There is still some ice, mostly to the south and southwest, towards the north some. It doesnt look like it will be there much longer. 

Gabe
I watched a YouTube video about fishing for walleyes in 35 degree water. It seems walleyes stage earlier than I thought. They were using blade baits, with a small slow jigs.
When the south marina opens up I'd like to try it. Thanks for your report.
(03-04-2022, 04:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I watched a YouTube video about fishing for walleyes in 35 degree water. It seems walleyes stage earlier than I thought.  They were using blade baits, with a small slow jigs.

There are a lot of other videos about catching walleyes through the ice...but usually in midwestern lakes with much bigger populations of walleyes than we have.  They also are allowed to use live minnows and leeches there.  

A lot of the early 'eyes are caught up in rivers where the walleye stack up waiting for the water to warm enough for spawning.  Utah's walleyes act about the same.  They do start going up the Provo River in early March, but you can't catch and keep them during the spawn...from tributaries.  Ditto for walleyes following the current coming in from the canal at the south marina of Willard.   And that spot remains open for fishing.  There are probably already snaggers at work below the baffles.

I have caught walleyes out of Willard just as the ice was breaking up...with water temps in the mid 30s.  They will hit if you can find them and serve them something they want.  If is a big two letter word.
(03-04-2022, 05:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 04:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I watched a YouTube video about fishing for walleyes in 35 degree water. It seems walleyes stage earlier than I thought.  They were using blade baits, with a small slow jigs.

There are a lot of other videos about catching walleyes through the ice...but usually in midwestern lakes with much bigger populations of walleyes than we have.  They also are allowed to use live minnows and leeches there.  

A lot of the early 'eyes are caught up in rivers where the walleye stack up waiting for the water to warm enough for spawning.  Utah's walleyes act about the same.  They do start going up the Provo River in early March, but you can't catch and keep them during the spawn...from tributaries.  Ditto for walleyes following the current coming in from the canal at the south marina of Willard.   And that spot remains open for fishing.  There are probably already snaggers at work below the baffles.

I have caught walleyes out of Willard just as the ice was breaking up...with water temps in the mid 30s.  They will hit if you can find them and serve them something they want.  If is a big two letter word.

I dunno if the eyes are in the inlet. Last drive by, no water coming into Willard and the canal that feeds into it is almost bone dry. The water level is so bad at Willard. Not many spots where the water meets up to the bottom of the dike. I walked a long way yesterday on the north dike before I saw water up to the bottom of the dike bolders. Willard may be tough fishing this year.
Gabe
(03-04-2022, 07:37 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I dunno if the eyes are in the inlet. Last drive by, no water coming into Willard and the canal that feeds into it is almost bone dry. The water level is so bad at Willard. Not many spots where the water meets up to the bottom of the dike. I walked a long way yesterday on the north dike before I saw water up to the bottom of the dike bolders. Willard may be tough fishing this year.
Gabe

Sad to hear they shut off the inflow.  A couple of weeks ago it was coming in pretty good and there was reason for optimism.  Once they start releasing water upstream it can rise pretty quickly.  We can always hope.  If the water gets so low the fish have to wear tennies that will be tough.  Have to have a good dog to flush them.
I hope some of these storms start to pan out to be big dumps, we really haven't recovered very much from where we were last year... I'm only about 5 or 6 weeks from when I started watering last year, so not a lot of time to get the reservoirs filled up... Sure hope we don't have as dry of year as we did last year, it was brutal... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-04-2022, 07:37 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 05:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

I dunno if the eyes are in the inlet. Last drive by, no water coming into Willard and the canal that feeds into it is almost bone dry. The water level is so bad at Willard. Not many spots where the water meets up to the bottom of the dike. I walked a long way yesterday on the north dike before I saw water up to the bottom of the dike bolders. Willard may be tough fishing this year.
Gabe

Some of my most productive fishing years at Willard where low water years, the fish are more concentrated and there is less prey to eat so they are more willing to bite what we put in front of them.
Can I launch my aluminum boat yet? Only need 24 inches. I mean when the ice is gone.
(03-04-2022, 09:52 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Can I launch my aluminum boat yet? Only need 24 inches. I mean when the ice is gone.

You can launch right now if you want.