Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fishing Echo this Winter?
We were lucky to get on the ice there at the beginning of the ice fishing season as the park manager decided he would give us a chance during the holidays and into the first few weeks of the year. Since then, I have only seen a few folks fishing it near the dam. Has anyone tried to access the ice from that new campground to the East of the marina? Wiperslayer and I are thinking about giving it a try this Thurs but are concerned about the raising water levels and bad edges, does anyone have any drive by reports or first hand accounts of trying to get on the ice there on the East side of the lake?
When we drove by on the way home from the Berry on Saturday, it looked like the inlet end was deteriorating quickly on the edges compared to what it looked like the week before. I didn’t see anybody on the ice at all
(03-07-2022, 02:31 PM)2knots Wrote: When we drove by on the way home from the Berry on Saturday, it looked like the inlet end was deteriorating quickly on the edges compared to what it looked like the week before. I didn’t see anybody on the ice at all

Thanks Alan, that is what I was afraid of. With the warmer temps we got before that last storm, I was thinking that would be what we would be seeing or hearing from folks. It looked better when we drove by when we came back from Jordanelle last week but that was just the first day of that nice weather we got. I still have some hope that those bad edges will freeze up again before Thurs but it might be best to have a backup plan just in case.
Curt it was being fished a couple days ago by a couple who hiked over the rocks near the dam. Edges sure look gray and sketchy but I know those with planks are not yet deterred- not my game, so I can't advise further.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-07-2022, 07:16 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Curt it was being fished a couple days ago by a couple who hiked over the rocks near the dam. Edges sure look gray and sketchy but I know those with planks are not yet deterred- not my game, so I can't advise further.

Thanks Lance, if I remember correctly, you have to drive by the lake going back and forth to work, if that is the case, please take a look when you get a chance and see if it looks any better in the coming days, thanks.
Just took a look. No sign of fishing on fresh snow. Gate locked so you are rock climbing to go right now. Edges look to have open water for a few feet. Ice looks pretty grey and soft looking for around 5-10 ft. But that is all from my truck. I did not hike down over the rocks.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks Lance, if we go we will be riding our atv's onto the ice from the new campground on the East end of the lakbut from your report it sure does not sound good, hope it gets better in the next three nights.
(03-08-2022, 12:40 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Lance, if we go we will be riding our atv's onto the ice from the new campground on the East end of the lakbut from your report it sure does not sound good, hope it gets better in the next three nights.
No - you won't.  Earl & moi tried to fish Rockport this morning.  The limb laying on the ice next to the launch ramp was maybe 15 feet from shore 10 days ago.  Today it has close to 100 feet from the shore.  I backed the trailer to the ice/water edge and dropped the ramp on to the ice about 12 feet from the edge.  Drilled the ice at the end of the ramp - it was maybe 2 inches of cloudy ice and would not support my weight.  Driving by Echo on the way home from Strawberry today revealed open water all along the west side that we could see from the road.  The lower reservoirs are toast as far as I'm concerned and the only real choice for ice fishing now is the Berry.  Problem - with gas now over 4 bucks/gal ($4.19 for 87 octane with my 6 cent Maverick discount) makes the gas cost for one round trip to the Berry $100 plus.  No thanks.  I'm done for this season and will start sorting and storing the gear tomorrow.  Y'all have fun and I'll look for ya in April on the soft deck.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Well that does not sound good at all, I had a feeling the warm weather last week would not be good for the ice. Ira and I were talking about getting out on Willard, if all else fails, just not sure how the over night temps over the next three night will make that popssible, guess we will see.
In addition to the degradation due to warmer weather, you also have the rise of these waters due to increased inflow as water managers hold most of the snow melt that is occurring now. Utah lake has come up 12-18 inches since the first of the year because of snow melt and lower outflow. I to have put the ice gear away and am concentrating on open water now. Have to get the Big Red Skeeter ready and on the water ASAP!!!
(03-08-2022, 03:04 AM)dubob Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 12:40 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Lance, if we go we will be riding our atv's onto the ice from the new campground on the East end of the lakbut from your report it sure does not sound good, hope it gets better in the next three nights.
No - you won't.  Earl & moi tried to fish Rockport this morning.  The limb laying on the ice next to the launch ramp was maybe 15 feet from shore 10 days ago.  Today it has close to 100 feet from the shore.  I backed the trailer to the ice/water edge and dropped the ramp on to the ice about 12 feet from the edge.  Drilled the ice at the end of the ramp - it was maybe 2 inches of cloudy ice and would not support my weight.  Driving by Echo on the way home from Strawberry today revealed open water all along the west side that we could see from the road.  The lower reservoirs are toast as far as I'm concerned and the only real choice for ice fishing now is the Berry.  Problem - with gas now over 4 bucks/gal ($4.19 for 87 octane with my 6 cent Maverick discount) makes the gas cost for one round trip to the Berry $100 plus.  No thanks.  I'm done for this season and will start sorting and storing the gear tomorrow.  Y'all have fun and I'll look for ya in April on the soft deck.

Big Grin

Looks like gas took another jump in the price at the pump today and with us no longer taking oil from Russia, it would not surprise me if gas continues to raise. Next stop $5 a gallon at the pump and maybe even higher. Looks like I'll be fishing closer to home this year.