Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Water Info #2
I didn't have time for the photos on my last post so here they are now. See attached
[Image: baffles.jpg]

[Image: North-Marina-3.jpg]

[Image: North-Marina1.jpg]

[Image: North-Marina2.jpg]

[Image: South-Marina1.jpg]
Good to see a little flow in the canal
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Glad to see some water coming into Willard, I see you got a water temp, how did you get it? If you were using a fish finder, did you check the depth in the South marina? Just by going from your pic from the North marina, it appears it has come up at least a foot since last Fall, so that is good news and since they dredged the channel in the South marina, that will help this year, for a while at least. I took these pics a week ago, they show the intake area at the pump house and the berm they made at the lower baffles while they dug out around the intake. 

[Image: willard-pumphouse1.jpg]

[Image: Willard-pumphouse2.jpg]
I tied a thermometer on a weighted line, 18" under a bobber and cast it out. It was an accurate 42F. Thanks for the other pics.
Was the south marina recently dredged? or not since 2012? last year towards the end of the season Sadly I fell victim to the nasty bottom and chewed up a rather expensive brass prop when I snuck to far to the south side of the cut trying to give some wandering paddle boarders extra room
(03-15-2022, 08:33 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: Was the south marina recently dredged? or not since 2012? last year towards the end of the season Sadly I fell victim to the nasty bottom and chewed up a rather expensive brass prop when I snuck to far to the south side of the cut trying to give some wandering paddle boarders extra room

No, not the marina, just the channel from the pump house to the outside the mouth of the channel.
WH2, When was that done? just inside the Channel is where I hit bottom, Hopefully they did the full width of the channel and not just one pass down the center? the edges is IMO where it was needed most.
(03-16-2022, 12:46 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: WH2, When was that done? just inside the Channel is where I hit bottom, Hopefully they did the full width of the channel and not just one pass down the center? the edges is IMO where it was needed most.

They finished about a month ago but remember the only purpose for this dredging was so they can continue to draw water out of the lake once the water level drops lower than it was last year. I haven't been out of the South marina yet this year but it is unlikely the dregded it very wide and for sure they did not do any of the marina.
WH2: I think you are right, I seen on the Ol bookFace that someone shared some pictures from the south dike at the point of the channel, it dont look like they touched it at all. im pretty certain that the rock ledge is still lurking just beneath the surface, Kind of a shame IMO that we had a dredge in the water and we didn't have them take out a pretty significant hazard, especially knowing that we are going to have another low water year.
(03-23-2022, 03:25 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: WH2: I think you are right, I seen on the Ol bookFace that someone shared some pictures from the south dike at the point of the channel, it dont look like they touched it at all. im pretty certain that the rock ledge is still lurking just beneath the surface, Kind of a shame IMO that we had a dredge in the water and we didn't have them take out a pretty significant hazard, especially knowing that we are going to have another low water year.

I think the key is WHO is doing the dredging...and why?  The water users who did the dredging have no interest in making life easier for boaters and anglers.  And DWR and the State Parks have separate approval and budgeting systems.
(03-23-2022, 03:25 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: WH2: I think you are right, I seen on the Ol bookFace that someone shared some pictures from the south dike at the point of the channel, it dont look like they touched it at all. im pretty certain that the rock ledge is still lurking just beneath the surface, Kind of a shame IMO that we had a dredge in the water and we didn't have them take out a pretty significant hazard, especially knowing that we are going to have another low water year.

Checked out the South marina today, it was a little under 3 ft deep until we got in the channel, then it was 10 ft deep but you had to stay right in the center of the channel. As we came up to the dock we noticed some big rocks or something big right under the end of the dock, so we nosed the boat up to the dock, instead of pulling along it sideways. In short, if you launch out of the South marina but very careful, at least until the water level comes up a foot or more.
TD: I know there's a whole lot of red tape that goes into the deal, so I can understand why it wasn't done from that standpoint. just from the non political, none restricted common sense side of it, I struggle.

one of them deals where im sure it would have only costed 5K more to clear the whole cut for boaters now while they were in for the main reason VS 20K later to have another team go in later (If approved). Obviously these numbers are made up but the point I feel is still the same.

maybe could have even bribed the operators with a couple 30 packs to just make an extra pass or two before loading up at the end of the day lol

All in all, cant cry over spilt milk, it is what it is and boaters will make due with what we can while we can. Heres to hoping for a wet and wild spring with lots of rain