Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Camping
I've never been.  I want to go. Maybe catch a Wally.

Looking at the google image it looks pretty barren and no shade pavilions.  Some pit toilets.

Is it just open camping anywhere you can fit or are there assigned numbered sites?  

Of the campgrounds shown, which is best?  Which has best fishing?

Any information would be helpful.
Starvation is a great place to camp. Yes, there is very limited shade but there are pavillions, cabanas and covered picnic tables. Campsites range from fully developed with lawn and full hookups, bathrooms with flush toilets and showers and the more primative areas at Juniper Point and Knight Hollow. Indian Bay and Rabbit Gulch are the middle ground with covered picnic tables and pit toilets. It's hard to say which one has the better fishing. It depends on what you're fishing for and the time of year. Get more information from the Utah State Parks website and you can also make reservations there.
As you have been advised, fishing conditions and expectations can vary with time of year, water levels, etc.  But if you are limited to casting from shore the best potential areas are Rabbit Gulch, Indian Bay, Juniper Point and Knight Hollow.  While camping amenities vary, these places at least have spots where you can reach fish within a reasonable cast...and often right close to the rocks...especially during May and June...post spawn feedup period for the walleyes. 

I am attaching a writeup I put together on Starvy a few years ago.  Obviously some things have changed...such as the campground setup, fish populations, etc.  But you should be able to glean some help from it.

Attached Files
.pdf   FISHING STARVY.pdf (Size: 9.27 MB / Downloads: 43)
Starvation has a lot of camping available as has been said.  I've attached a link to the State Park site for campsites/cabins.  

One thing to remember now is the name has changed to the Fred Hayes State Park at Starvation.

Campground Details - Fred Hayes State Park at Starvation, UT - Utah State Parks (reserveamerica.com)

Good luck when you go, it's a great place to wet a line.
I can't help with camping, as I always book a cabin - and I just did. Thanks for the reminder!
Thanks everyone. TD, there will be multiple floating fishing platforms.  1 tube, 3 kayaks and a 14' aluminum w/6hp-color depth finder w/gps.  So while not able to rule the water, it will be accessible.
I've never fished it, camped there, picnicked or done more than drive over the Hwy 40 bridge and look down.  I've come to believe that it may have my best chance at a nice walleye so I think it's time I gave it a shot.  Figure the best way is to camp for a few days and get it mapped out and  find the likely flats adjacent to shelves into deeper water, the main channel and submerged islands. Then fish mainly from dusk into the night dragging crawler rigs and shallow hard baits around.
Thinking of going in early June.
Hi there, mate. I really love Starvation camping. Actually, it’s one of the best places I’ve ever been to. I wish I was there now. Btw, we cooked some sandwiches there. We used this sandwich maker https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L to prepare this delicious breakfast. Btw, my favorite one is the bacon and cheese one. Guys, I guess the time has come for a fav sandwich thread. What do you think? Anyway, no regrets about starvation. Feel free to have your best rest there. Good luck
There is a private Campground that has a dirt boat ramp right on the Reservoir.
Full Hookups and a nice shaded area.
It was called Lakeside back when I went there.
Not sure if that is still the name.
This thread is four months old, so I don't know how the OP fared. But I can report that my three-night stay in one of the cabins was great. The weather was such that we used both the heater and the A/C. Having a small fridge and a microwave is great. We packed a small TV and pulled in over 30 stations on antenna. It was nice to have evening shows and morning news/weather. This was the week just before Memorial Day.
I know it is a little after the fact but this private campground is part of Escape RV resorts.