Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Soldier Creek interesting finds other than fish 3/19
Went on Soldier creek from the hwy towards the dam. Soldier cr road is passable on atv or utv. Only thing questionable is getting from Soldier cr road down to the lake near the hwy. On the lake the snow had turned in to a 2 inch crust from last week. Easy travel for atv and utv. We needed scratchers for the sleds. Edges were fine coming from the hwy. No slush anywhere we traveled.  Catching was average for this time of the year. Best success was in 12ft of water. Catching fish anywhere in that depth.

First interesting find was tents that looked like they had been on the same location for quite a while.  Does the 14 day camping limit apply to the lake surface like it does in the forest? After finding a few of those I was hoping that if they weren't occupied I could use them instead of bringing my own tent? I guess I could give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they left them overnight one night and they froze to the ice by the next day. Now they have to wait for that narrow window when they can still get on the ice to retrieve them during the thaw.

Second interesting find was a person stuck on the Chicken cr west road. They were too far out for us to be able to pull them out. Saw this on our way to fish. On the way home a different vehicle was stuck in the same spot. It's a bit baffling to think someone would think a wheeled vehicle would be able to make it on an unplowed road in the winter. Maybe their SUV didn't have a Snow drift mode in the traction control options.
So, did you use the tents that were already set up? Last winter I saw one tent that was left up, not far from the dam.
One of them was close to the dam. It was such a nice day we didn't use it. And it was a ways from our fishing spot. It could be a hot hole or secret spot? ;-)
I was fishing Soldier Creek as well. Fished without the tent early, and then put it up later so I could see down the hole.
I also thought it was wierd that someone would try to drive the CC West road. I'm not sure what their game plan was, well, before they got stuck. I know what it was afterward because I saw about 15-20 people trying to shovel them out.