Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Elevation and Boat Speed
Having grown up at sea level, or close to it, I was spoiled with fast boats. In the Midwest and East Coast, a well equipped multi species like a Lund or Crestliner could easily exceed 50 MPH. My old man had a 22' Crestliner with a 250 verado that went 61 MPH once.

So imagine my surprise when I bought my first boat in Utah (an 18' Crestliner with a 115 Johnson) and went to Strawberry, and could only achieve 34 MPH. Quite the rude awakening on the effects of altitude.

Then I sold that and bought a 19' Duckworth with a 140 jet outboard that was a dog... Got 25 MPH at Strawberry, 28 at Deer Creek. I recently repowered to a 175 Pro XS and am seeing 46 MPH at Deer Creek.... Haven't been able to get it on strawberry yet.

So my question: what's fast in Utah? Seems like 40 MPH is surprisingly difficult to achieve. How fast does your rig go?
My Bass Tracker Classic hits 32 with a 50 hp Merc. But I don't run at full throttle. I cruise at 25 mph.
I had a 90 hp Johnson that could do 37 at Willard and about 10 mph less at Strawberry but that motor was replaced with a 90 hp Evenrude that can only do 27 on Willard and I haven't even taken it up to the Berry, since the motor switch. Props can make a big difference and a lot of folks have two different props, depending on the lake they are on.
I got up to 53 with the electric turned up to 10 yesterday in my little boat at Willard. Sorry 5.3
You will loose 3% horse power per 1K feet elevation because of Ambiant Air Pressure, newer computer controlled engines change the air fuel mixture to make up for some but not all hp lose, thats why some boats cant hardly get on plane at lakes over 7k feet, if you go to Powel then to the berry. two different pitched props will give you best performance, most find a prop for 5 to 6k feet for lakes around here for all around performance, make sure you engine is running at rated RPMs wide open, high end of the range at Willard or UL then you should be good for Utah except Powel or SH. Then when you are at cruising speed you boat is at its best efficiency and is not as hard on your engine,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(03-27-2022, 01:25 AM)BYUHunter Wrote: Having grown up at sea level, or close to it, I was spoiled with fast boats. In the Midwest and East Coast, a well equipped multi species like a Lund or Crestliner could easily exceed 50 MPH. My old man had a 22' Crestliner with a 250 verado that went 61 MPH once.

So imagine my surprise when I bought my first boat in Utah (an 18' Crestliner with a 115 Johnson) and went to Strawberry, and could only achieve 34 MPH. Quite the rude awakening on the effects of altitude.

Then I sold that and bought a 19' Duckworth with a 140 jet outboard that was a dog... Got 25 MPH at Strawberry, 28 at Deer Creek. I recently repowered to a 175 Pro XS and am seeing 46 MPH at Deer Creek.... Haven't been able to get it on strawberry yet.

So my question: what's fast in Utah? Seems like 40 MPH is surprisingly difficult to achieve. How fast does your rig go?
56 57 mph at Willard with a full tank but yes it drops off at strawberry. 

I have a 21' Ranger Reata and a 225 Verado.

I also was surprised at the drop in speed and power from Willard to strawberry especially with a supercharger and injection!

[Image: utfishing.jpg]
Now you know why those Football players are sucking on oxygen when they play in Denver,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(05-04-2022, 01:33 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Now you know why those Football players are sucking on oxygen when they play in Denver,

Im sucking on oxygen walking around the block.....but thats another story lol