Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith Morehouse 3/26/22
[Image: 74-EC7-FA6-2366-435-C-B58-D-0-BE61-D71-C4-F8.jpg]

[Image: 7-B5-D6-B1-E-21-DD-4-C04-805-F-B91-F06-FA7-B8-C.jpg]

[Image: 7-CCD9885-3-C16-4-F1-C-BB28-BCCA76-C54-F0-B.jpg]

[Image: 9381-B6-B1-F579-45-B0-923-D-76155630-D954.jpg]

Zeroid, this is for you man!
Went today, dry roads first 100 yrds from parking lot.
Then, terrible whoops from the high powered snowmobiles.
Solid edges but to be fair my machine has a light footprint, I don’t think a quad would do very good.
Ice about 27-28”.
Started a little after 8. Decked 2 Kokes, 2 bows, a Cutt, and a Grayling.
Fishing was generally tough with only the Grayling from 10-noon.
I promptly left at noon to softened edges that I crossed easily.
Orange jigs with pieces of nightcrawler with the Kokes hitting Kastmaster with dropper hook/Berkely maggot.
Beautiful day and not another soul up there!
Mrshane thank you for the information!!! Those whoops have tossed two passengers from my snowdog.
That’s a beautiful spot! Thanks again!
Thanks for the report from one of my favorite places to ice fish. Unfortunately (or probably fortunately) I no longer have a machine to access it during the winter months.
Great report Shane, looks like you had a nice day there, even it the catching wasn't red hot. The grayling were the reason I last went to S & M but they eluded me on that trip, might have to give it another try this Summer. How far from the ramp were you fishing?
Zeroid, you are very welcome.

Kent, I thought you had one of those snowdogs? Maybe I should take you up there next year in exchange for some tips on Sturgeon? If not, I will take you anyway.

Curt, since I was on my own I drove down ramp and went maybe 50 yrds, if that, straight out from the ramp and stayed on the packed snowmobile trail. That is probably what hurt my fishing success, at least that is the story I am sticking with….

The ice is in great shape, if it gets real cold again and doesn't snow we could put together a little trip up there in the next couple weeks.
I wouldn’t mind a little revenge!
Me and a buddy fished on Sunday 3/27. Drove through the muddy road and parked right at the  snow by the private gate access. Arrived on the lake about 7:30. Soft slushy edges present all around the lake. Snow dog pulling 3 sleds had no issue launching from the ramp. Minor slushy spots encountered as we crossed over to where the big rock projects out. 1st  hole drilled at 46FOW. Ice conditions where we drilled were appox 10 inched of white cloudy soft stuff on top of 10 inches of good ice. Buddy fished for 1/2hour with no fish showing up. in Mean time i drilled closer at about 26. 1st bow picked up in 15 minutes. Buddy moved in to same depth. Stayed until 1. Ended up with about 12-15 Bows each. No other species caught. Used orange jig tipped with crawler or mealy on one, and powerbate on 2nd pole each. Had equal success. Fairly windy after 11. Water skied behind the Snowdog across the lake in 4 to 5 inches of water on ice on way out. No problem getting off the soft edges at full throttle.
(03-28-2022, 01:47 AM)MrShane Wrote: Kent, I thought you had one of those snowdogs? Maybe I should take you up there next year in exchange for some tips on Sturgeon? If not, I will take you anyway.

I sold my Snowkitty at the start of ice season, so I am a walker again.  I would enjoy getting out with you and I will gladly share anything I can regarding sturgeon fishing (whether you take me fishing or not).  Yesterday, a 9'11" sturgeon was caught in the area that I fish!