Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Port Ramp Gate Update
This is not good news.  I talked with Pineview management on the phone this morning and specifically asked when the Port Ramp Gate might open.  As it stands right now, the gate will not open until Utah Recreation Co. is back running the show sometime in early May and has attendants in place to collect those obscene launch fees.  So, your plans to get in some free boat launching for the really good spring fishing ain't gonna happen this year.  Sorry guys & gals.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-28-2022, 03:45 PM)dubob Wrote: This is not good news.  I talked with Pineview management on the phone this morning and specifically asked when the Port Ramp Gate might open.  As it stands right now, the gate will not open until Utah Recreation Co. is back running the show sometime in early May and has attendants in place to collect those obscene launch fees.  So, your plans to get in some free boat launching for the really good spring fishing ain't gonna happen this year.  Sorry guys & gals.

Thanks Bob, that is really Sad that they have decided to go in that direction, looks like my days of fishing PV are over, at least for boat fishing.
Me, too. Unless and until the Goobermint gets rid of those greedy and incompetent contractors of Utah Rec Co, I'll never launch there.
Again we all need to write our Congressional delegation, both Reps and Senators to let them know what is going on there. Both Strawberry and Pineview need to be under State control. Contact your Rep and both our Senators to let them know what a poor job is being done at these waters !!!
Hello,

I am new to the board, long time reader, first time post.

I called the Ogden District Ranger, Mr. Sean Harwood today to see when the Pineview Port Ramp would open.  The conversation with Mr. Harwood was not pleasant.

He did not allow me to express my opinion and constantly talked over me and he said that under no circumstances would the gate be opened until some time in May.  I have never had such an unpleasant conversation with a federal employee.

I am a die-hard bass fisherman and I attempted to explain to Mr. Harwood that pre-spawn bass fishing would be over by the time that the gate opened.  He was extremely disrespectful.

I urge you to call Mr. Harwood and to express your opinion about the lock on the Port Ramp.  His number is (801) 625-5872.  The USFS is doing an extremely poor job of managing the resource and we are paying the price.
(03-30-2022, 02:30 AM)shadrap1 Wrote: Hello,

I am new to the board, long time reader, first time post.

I called the Ogden District Ranger, Mr. Sean Harwood today to see when the Pineview Port Ramp would open.  The conversation with Mr. Harwood was not pleasant.

He did not allow me to express my opinion and constantly talked over me and he said that under no circumstances would the gate be opened until some time in May.  I have never had such an unpleasant conversation with a federal employee.
Welcome to the site, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Harwood, might be a good idea to ask for the name of his supervisor, he needs to know that we, the public, can and will go over his head, when someone like him does not treat the public in a respectful matter, after all he works for us and is paid with tax payer dollars.
So your saying Vail doesnt own it yet
and if i hump my sup down and launch
it will probably be wakeless
Lifes little victory's matter
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Have any of you reached out to the local news channels? KSL investigates has been helpful in the past for us anglers. There are a bunch of people who have no idea this is happening and would be pretty upset if they knew.
I just sent very respectful emails to Mitt Romney, Mike Lee, Blake Moore and all three Weber Co. commissioners requesting their assistance in this matter.

Media is the next step (KSL and Ogden Standard Examiner).

I am also looking into getting a permit to protest USFS at their Ogden City Office. If I can’t fish, I’ll just spend that time picketing USFS poor management of the ramp.
(03-28-2022, 03:45 PM)dubob Wrote: This is not good news.  I talked with Pineview management on the phone this morning and specifically asked when the Port Ramp Gate might open.  As it stands right now, the gate will not open until Utah Recreation Co. is back running the show sometime in early May and has attendants in place to collect those obscene launch fees.  So, your plans to get in some free boat launching for the really good spring fishing ain't gonna happen this year.  Sorry guys & gals.

Appreciate the info, Bob, that is NOT very good news. In this case, the 'squeaky wheel is NOT getting greased' but perhaps if enough money is lost maybe they'll need to come up with another solution to all that they are doing now and we can return to how it was before all of this, and just monitor it a bit more often than they do instead.  Soon even the play boaters won't want to use PV, which is only going to push them to other reservoirs to recreate.   Sad
(03-30-2022, 02:47 PM)shadrap1 Wrote: I just sent very respectful emails to Mitt Romney, Mike Lee, Blake Moore and all three Weber Co. commissioners requesting their assistance in this matter.

I am also looking into getting a permit to protest USFS at their Ogden City Office.  If I can’t fish, I’ll just spend that time picketing USFS poor management of the ramp.

Shadrap please post the email addresses and phone numbers of the reps you contacted.
(03-30-2022, 10:40 PM)Bassin_Blitz Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 02:47 PM)shadrap1 Wrote: I just sent very respectful emails to Mitt Romney, Mike Lee, Blake Moore and all three Weber Co. commissioners requesting their assistance in this matter.

I am also looking into getting a permit to protest USFS at their Ogden City Office.  If I can’t fish, I’ll just spend that time picketing USFS poor management of the ramp.

Shadrap please post the email addresses and phone numbers of the reps you contacted.

Sure Bassin Blitz.  Here are the contacts as hyperlinks.  Or you can just google the senators and representatives and go to the contacts section. It is extremely easy to contact them and only takes a few minutes of your time.

Senator Mitt Romney:

Contact Senator Romney - Mitt Romney (senate.gov)

For Senator Romney, this link will take you to the contact info. 

Senator Mike Lee

Contact - Mike Lee US Senator for Utah (senate.gov)

Click on "Need help with a Federal Agency?" 

US House Representative Blake Moore

Contact | Representative Blake Moore (house.gov)

Weber County Commissioners (again, you can just google "Weber County Commissioners" and get this information.

Commissioner Jim Harvey:  jHarvey@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8588

Commissioner Scott Jenkins: sjenkins@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8406

Commissioner Gage Froerer: gfroerer@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8590

Here is a copy of the boiler plate of the text I sent to each of the elected officials above:

I also urge you to contact the USFS directly.  Here are the applicable contacts as I understand them:

Mr. Dave Whittekiend, USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Supervisor (801) 999-2108

Mr. Chad Hundson, USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Deputy Supervisor (801) 999-2109

Mr.  Sean Harwood- Ogden District Ranger (801) 625-5872

Here is a boiler plate of the text I sent our elected officials.  Or provide your own customized message.  It is important to address them respectfully, so I suggest adding "honorable" in your salutation.  If we are rude or disrespectful we will not be successful.  See below:

Dear Honorable __________,

I am writing to urge your advocacy regarding the United States Forest Service's (USFS) management of a local reservoir in Utah.  Pineview Reservoir, located near Ogden Utah, is currently closed to citizenry until at least May of this year precluding anglers launching boats at the reservoir.  While the USFS’s management of the reservoir is well-intended and aimed toward interdiction of the introduction of harmful quagga mussels to the reservoir, the management policy of reservoir is heavy-handed and inadvertently disenfranchises citizens.  All boat access to the lake is closed until further notice.

We respectfully request that your office contact the USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Supervisor’s Office at (801) 999-2103 (main office) or the Forest Supervisor, Mr. Dave Whittekiend at (801) 999-2108.  Alternately the Deputy Forest Supervisor, Mr. Chad Hudson may be contacted at (801) 999-2109.

We are requesting your office’s advocacy in assisting the USFS with pursuing management practices that protect the resource without disenfranchising citizenry.  We believe the two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Again, thank you for your representation,

Sincerely,

Your Name

shadrap1 - I sent you a PM.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-31-2022, 03:14 PM)shadrap1 Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 10:40 PM)Bassin_Blitz Wrote:

Sure Bassin Blitz.  Here are the contacts as hyperlinks.  Or you can just google the senators and representatives and go to the contacts section. It is extremely easy to contact them and only takes a few minutes of your time.

Senator Mitt Romney:

Contact Senator Romney - Mitt Romney (senate.gov)

For Senator Romney, this link will take you to the contact info. 

Senator Mike Lee

Contact - Mike Lee US Senator for Utah (senate.gov)

Click on "Need help with a Federal Agency?" 

US House Representative Blake Moore

Contact | Representative Blake Moore (house.gov)

Weber County Commissioners (again, you can just google "Weber County Commissioners" and get this information.

Commissioner Jim Harvey:  jHarvey@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8588

Commissioner Scott Jenkins: sjenkins@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8406

Commissioner Gage Froerer: gfroerer@co.weber.ut.us or (801) 399-8590

Here is a copy of the boiler plate of the text I sent to each of the elected officials above:

I also urge you to contact the USFS directly.  Here are the applicable contacts as I understand them:

Mr. Dave Whittekiend, USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Supervisor (801) 999-2108

Mr. Chad Hundson, USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Deputy Supervisor (801) 999-2109

Mr.  Sean Harwood- Ogden District Ranger (801) 625-5872

Here is a boiler plate of the text I sent our elected officials.  Or provide your own customized message.  It is important to address them respectfully, so I suggest adding "honorable" in your salutation.  If we are rude or disrespectful we will not be successful.  See below:

Dear Honorable __________,

I am writing to urge your advocacy regarding the United States Forest Service's (USFS) management of a local reservoir in Utah.  Pineview Reservoir, located near Ogden Utah, is currently closed to citizenry until at least May of this year precluding anglers launching boats at the reservoir.  While the USFS’s management of the reservoir is well-intended and aimed toward interdiction of the introduction of harmful quagga mussels to the reservoir, the management policy of reservoir is heavy-handed and inadvertently disenfranchises citizens.  All boat access to the lake is closed until further notice.

We respectfully request that your office contact the USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Forest Supervisor’s Office at (801) 999-2103 (main office) or the Forest Supervisor, Mr. Dave Whittekiend at (801) 999-2108.  Alternately the Deputy Forest Supervisor, Mr. Chad Hudson may be contacted at (801) 999-2109.

We are requesting your office’s advocacy in assisting the USFS with pursuing management practices that protect the resource without disenfranchising citizenry.  We believe the two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Again, thank you for your representation,

Sincerely,

Your Name

Thank you

Emails sent.