Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
must see video if you like to catch rainbows at deer creek
still fishing but not reporting to much
worms and  pink gulp maggots work about the same   but maybe it is the scent I put in the Maggots.
I did not get any big rainbows all we were doing is putting them back did not use a net a lot took to much time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OZQ_dK...el=RobertG
Interesting video Robert.
(03-29-2022, 05:55 PM)liketrolling Wrote: still fishing but not reporting to much
worms and  pink gulp maggots work about the same   but maybe it is the scent I put in the Maggots.
I did not get any big rainbows all we were doing is putting them back did not use a net a lot took to much time

Thank you for that video. One of the most practical and informative ones I've seen.  For us newbies to the trolling and sonar world things like this are very helpful.  One question, you said in the video that you had "setbacks" at 100 feet or so.  Does that mean your flasher and lure were 100 or so feet behind your downrigger ball?  Is that normal for both rainbow and kokanee?
Robert....tks for your video post...good info ... maybe a walleye or 2 on the bottom?...Note to FishrFriends...there is no "normal" setback distance in trolling, whether for kokes or trout...your setback could be 5' from the ball, or 150'.... just depends...Here's just a few of my 'depends': what kind of boat/propulsion do you have? larger boat/larger noisier motor, or small craft/ no noise electric motor....are you fishing deeper in summer or shallow early season/early A.M.?...do you have the lake to yourself or do you have lots of competition where your lines can get run over?... are you running 2 lines on each side, where maybe one should be setback further from the other? Are curious kokes looking at your ball, and your lures are 50' behind the ball? You can figure out answers to these, and other variables, with time on the water and practice...that's what makes trolling fun (or frustrating)...but that's fishing...Guluk...
(03-29-2022, 10:44 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 05:55 PM)liketrolling Wrote: still fishing but not reporting to much

Thank you for that video. One of the most practical and informative ones I've seen.  For us newbies to the trolling and sonar world things like this are very helpful.  One question, you said in the video that you had "setbacks" at 100 feet or so.  Does that mean your flasher and lure were 100 or so feet behind your downrigger ball?  Is that normal for both rainbow and kokanee?

yes when fish are on top and afraid of the boat you have long set backs like 100 feet, when they are not afraid of the boat and down deeper your setbacks are  5 to 30 feet from the ball.   kokanee and rainbow are the same.
(03-30-2022, 07:19 PM)liketrolling Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 10:44 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:

yes when fish are on top and afraid of the boat you have long set backs like 100 feet, when they are not afraid of the boat and down deeper your setbacks are  5 to 30 feet from the ball.   kokanee and rainbow are the same.

Thanks again for more great advice from you and Jmorfish. Make total sense!   
Robert, that was a great video for showing how much the fish move around the boat, I'd always suspected and heard that, but I didn't realize it was as much as your video shows... really cool tip and video. Thanks... J

PS... Sort of shows a side of livescope that makes it more interesting to me as a boat tool... Always knew it was great for the ice, but I'd not seen the boat value until your video... Have you pointed it backwards and seen if the fish return? I know you mention that they do by your 100' set back, but I was wondering if they return and need to settle a bit, or are they ready to eat when they get there? How does the dark screen transducer set the fan angle and let you know what depth the fish are at? and i assume you can change that if the fish are running at say 30 or 50' deep?
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I enjoyed your video Robert. With all of your electronics isn't it time for a bigger boat? What are you looking into adding next?
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Thank you for posting the excellent video and comments about what we were seeing. I just downloaded the "perspective" software to my Garmin after seeing your video. It looks like you have the settings tuned perfectly. Can you tell us what setting you used on the perspective view?
Like what color screen, gain, interference, etc.
next time I go I will take a screen shot of the settings'
I had the camera on and I went through the settings but cant find where it is at.