Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry/Soldier Creek
Hoping for one last ice fishing trip.  Any reports on the road access to Soldier Creek dam, Edges at Strawberry and Soldier Creek, ice safety and catching.  

Thanks for any info.
We fished out from The Strawberry Marina yesterday. Getting on the ice was no problem; however, walking was more difficult because of a crust that one would break through with almost every step. As the day progressed the slush and or water, on the ice, increased from about 1" to 2 or 3" in most places. When we came in I was concerned about breaking through near the ramp, and although there was a big pool of water there I didn't go through the ice. It appeared a snowmobile had broken through either entering or exiting the ice during the day.

Fishing was decent, but not exceptional.
(03-31-2022, 04:26 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: We fished out from The Strawberry Marina yesterday.  Getting on the ice was no problem; however, walking was more difficult because of a crust that one would break through with almost every step.  As the day progressed the slush and or water, on the ice, increased from about 1" to 2 or 3" in most places.  When we came in I was concerned about breaking through near the ramp, and although there was a big pool of water there I didn't go through the ice.  It appeared a snowmobile had broken through either entering or exiting the ice during the day. 

Fishing was decent, but not exceptional.

Thank you so much for your report.  I will give it a try tomorrow morning!
Well, I will answer my questions incase anyone else is interested.
Road to Soldier Creek Dam is not accessible via vehicle.
Edges are still OK yet getting iffy in spots. Ice was still fine though you can tell it is starting to soften. Catching was good early, then progressively slowed down. Arrived at 6:20, by the time I saw that Soldier Cree Dam was a no-go, relocated and walked the mile to my spot, started fishing at 7:21 a.m. Had 4 fish in my first 15 min. 9 fish by 9 a.m., 14 when I left at 10:30 a.m. One over the slot, one under the slot, 2 bows, and the rest in the slot cutts.
Would love to go next weekend but have a son getting married. May be my last time out this season. Sad