Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC Day at Willard 4-20-22
LINK TO VIDEO

Smelled skunk at Utah Lake on Monday.  Wednesday forecast for Willard looked doable.  So I did it.  Launched at the south marina just after 6:30 am.  38 degrees air temp and 48 degree water temps…warming to 50 by noon departure.  But with the overcast, previous night’s big wind and a steady breeze in the morning water temps fluctuated up and down…with a low seen of 46.28. No other cars in the parking area when I launched but there were 5 boat trailers when I came in.
 [Image: WILLARD-BAY-LAUNCH.jpg]
Started out where I had some luck on my last trip…dragging fligs in water between 5-6 feet deep.  Nothing on TV and nothing on the end of my line for an hour.  Moved gradually out to deeper water…from 10 to 12 feet.  Nada, zip, zilch.  Started working my way back to shallower and ZAP…first kitty of the day on a new tandem flig rig I was trying.  It had a blue back silver flig and minnow up top and an orange tiger flig and minnow on the bottom.  The first fish voted for the orange tiger.
 [Image: WILLARD-DESERT.jpg] [Image: FIRST-CAT.jpg] [Image: TANDEM-RIG.jpg]After another half hour of zingless string I began to suspect it might be another one of “those days”.  Then I found “Kitty City”.  At about 9 fow I got bit…on the pink tiger single flig rig.  I was just getting into the battle when the rod with the tandem rig started bouncing.  I set the hook on that rod with one hand while holding the rod with the first fish in the other hand.  Then I put rod #2 back in the holder while I battled the first fish into the net…depositing it on my apron.  That allowed me to devote full attention to the second fish…battling it in to the net along with the first fish.  A “double dip”.  The second fish took the top flig of the tandem rig…the blue back silver.  Three fish on three different fligs.
[Image: DOUBLE.jpg]  
I had brought along my spiral wrap casting rod and had it rigged with a chartreuse whirly flig.  I pinned on a small minnow and chucked it out to whirl and flutter while I was tidying up and rebaiting the other two rods.  That third rod had barely settled in the rod holder when it went bendo.  A third fish within about 10 minutes.  Looked good with that purty little whirly flig in its kisser.  That was at least one fish on four different lures.
 [Image: WHIRLY.jpg]
I had fairly constant action for about 2 hours.  The sun had finally crawled out from behind the clouds and the water was beginning to warm a degree or so.  Most bites came around the 8-9 foot depth.  But my last fish…after over a half hour without a sniff…climbed on in water just a little over 4’ deep.   That was just a couple of minutes before my self-imposed quitting time of 11:45.  Removed the flig from his lips and sent him back to join all the others I had released.  No keeping on this trip.  But I betcha if a walleye had come to play it would have gone home with me.

Water was cold and colored from the big blow of the night before.  I usually like to plan my trips for at least two days after a warm and calm spell…to let the fish stabilize.  I wouldn’t have gone fishing yet this year if I stuck with that.  Always have to jump in between storms.  Maybe we will get spring by August.
It was like that at Sand Hollow, too, Pat. Cooler water and disturbed fish. (See my report) At least the water there stayed clear - due no doubt to being much deeper and nearly full - reported at 75% full. Even there, no fish were shallow, despite it being nearly the spawn. Water dropped from 58 on Tuesday to 56 on Weds. But full sun had it climb back by Weds late afternoon, when I called it quits.

More wind today all over the state, and another storm, they say. Good for more water, but bad for any pattern of fishing.
(04-21-2022, 12:26 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It was like that at Sand Hollow, too, Pat. Cooler water and disturbed fish. (See my report) At least the water there stayed clear - due no doubt to being much deeper and nearly full - reported at 75% full. Even there, no fish were shallow, despite it being nearly the spawn. Water dropped from 58 on Tuesday to 56 on Weds. But full sun had it climb back by Weds late afternoon, when I called it quits.

More wind today all over the state, and another storm, they say. Good for more water, but bad for any pattern of fishing.
Most years this would have been a bananner week down there...with temps and weather just right for stellar fishing.  But this year everything seems to be at least a couple of weeks behind "normal".  In checking some of my past fishing logs for Willard this time of year the water temps are usually over 50 and getting over 55 on good days.  And that is when the crappie and walleye usually start showing up.  But definitely not this year.  Been few days over 50 on Willard and the continuing cold fronts keep knocking it down a few degrees each time. 

Sorry to hear that the weather gods conspired against you on Sand Hollow.   I know it's only money, but that is a lot of gas $ for a busted trip.
Good on you Pat, lake looked pretty flat when I went by on the way home from taking my mom to the airport. Finding the little holes between the storms has been the norm so far this spring
Looks like a busy day. Very good looking channel cats. I wonder why your not getting some larger cats. 10 lbs should be in there.
I can see on your Garmin a Sean that looks like it's snowing, is that baby shiners?
Did you notice the outside parking lot full of cars? Fishing the inlet still.
You said a few trailers in the lot could you tell where the boat were fishing?
Sorry for all the questions not much reporting from willard this spring.
Those cats looked like a great fry, nice size and fat to.
Great job Pat.
Sounds like a pretty good day considering the weather. Ya know I've noticed the same pattern you pointed out this year, I've had several trips that I have had to change the lure to catch the next fish and I have caught few fish on the same color the same day... Probably just a coincidence, but interesting you noticed the same thing... I usually stick with the same color all day, so it's a rough pattern for me to deal with. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-21-2022, 01:56 PM)2knots Wrote: Good on you Pat, lake looked pretty flat when I went by on the way home from taking my mom to the airport. Finding the little holes between the storms has been the norm so far this spring
I was glad I went, in spite of the weather forecrashers.  Supposed to be calm breezes from the SW early...turning windier about 11.  Just after I launched it got fairly airy from the northwest and it was pretty bumpy for a couple of hours.  Finally laid down and got halfway decent by the time I left at noon.  Wish I had a job where I could be wrong most of the time and still keep my job.  (Weather forecrashers)
You do have a job where you can be wrong most of the time and still keep it !! Your a fisherman !!!!!
(04-21-2022, 02:19 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Looks like a busy day. Very good looking channel cats. I wonder why your not getting some larger cats.  10 lbs should be in there.
I can see on your Garmin a Sean that looks like it's snowing,  is that baby shiners?
Sorry for all the questions  not much reporting from willard this spring.
Great job Pat.
There are probably a few "larger" cats swimming in Willard.  But anything over 24" is big by today's standards.  I caught a couple in that range yesterday.  In the "olden days" it was common to have at least one or two bigguns in a day (or night) of fishing.  But, as you observed, most of the ones we catch are perfect frying size.  And as I have been known to say "they ain't no better eatin' catfish than Willard Bay catfish."  But I didn't keep any this trip.  Still got a couple of packages of fillets from the last trip and my wife is visiting our daughter in California this week.  By the way, I have a new tempura recipe that is killer on "catfish fingers" but also works great on perch, crappie, white bass or other panfish.  (See attached)

The "snow" is intermittent interference.  I sometimes need to tweak the gain on my sonar.  It is clear most of the time but under changing conditions it sometimes shows specks.  Too early for shad fry to show up and there aren't enough spot tail shiners in Willard to form large schools.  Most just a few here and there...and mostly inside the harbors. 

I could see almost the whole lake and I did watch the boats.  No single area seemed to draw them.  One was working over the new rock piles west of the south marina.  Some headed for the SW corner.  One other seemed to like the area around the island...but only for a few minutes.  And there were a couple of boats working in several spots around "Freeway Bay".   Also looked like a couple of boats...probably from the north marina...were working along the north dike.  Just as on my last trip the boats moving around a lot seemed to suggest that there were no concentrations of active fish...or that the boat tanglers didn't know what they were doing...or both.

Only one vehicle in the outside lot.  I suspect the walleye spawn is about over.  But in a few weeks it will fill up again with all the happy harvesters hitting the wipers that swarm in their for their faux spawn.

(04-21-2022, 02:28 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a pretty good day considering the weather.  Ya know I've noticed the same pattern you pointed out this year, I've had several trips that I have had to change the lure to catch the next fish and I have caught few fish on the same color the same day... Probably just a coincidence, but interesting you noticed the same thing... I usually stick with the same color all day, so it's a rough pattern for me to deal with.  Later J

Einstein is often credited  with saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over...and expecting different results."  I think that we as optimistic anglers often fit that definition.  Over the years I have encountered innumerable fishless anglers who use the excuse "Well, this is how I caught them ONE TIME".  And I have proven through a lot of trial and error that almost anything will work at one time or another...on one species or another...under some given set of conditions. 

What a lot of anglers fail to realize is that fish don't have conscious reasoning ability.  They can't think and they can't really remember things.  Sure, some harsh lessons may become ingrained in their subconscious...keeping them from falling for the same things that almost got them killed once before. (catch and release?)  And they see colors differently than we do as well.  So when they seem to prefer a certain color on one day...under a certain set of weather, water clarity and light conditions...it ain't just that they like THAT purty color.  It's usually because they can see it better...and they tend to strike what they can find easier.  As we troll or move around a lake, the light and clarity (and water chemistry) conditions can change.  And so should we if we want to catch fish.

That's why it's good to have good sonar and know how to read it.  If the fish are there...and you are not catching...then it is time to keep changing up your offerings or your presentations until you find a pattern.  Either that or accept that the fish are not in an active mode and go find another group of fish to pester.  Odds are that on any given body of water there will be fish in a feeding mode somewhere on that water.  Of course, immediately after a big front passes through can also change that outlook. 

Ain't fishyology fun?

Attached Files
.pdf   TEMPURA.pdf (Size: 211.82 KB / Downloads: 30)
MAN! Kitty smack down! Great Video Pat. And thanks for the report.
(04-21-2022, 06:34 PM)fishinfool Wrote: MAN! Kitty smack down! Great Video Pat. And thanks for the report.

Thankee sir.  I was hoping to find a walleye or two but there was NBC...nuttin' but cats.  However, I did well on them with some of my whirly fligs and crawlers last year.  Got some new models to show them this year.
Oh heck, you're making me jealous. Saw the doc today and one last appointment on the 4th of May I'll hopefully be good as new. Great trip. Enjoyed your YouTube video account.
(04-21-2022, 11:45 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Oh heck, you're making me jealous. Saw the doc today and one last appointment on the 4th of May I'll hopefully be good as new. Great trip. Enjoyed your YouTube video account.
Been wondering about you.  Still dealing with the knees...or something else? 

Glad you liked the video.  I had a good time putting in the work...ha ha.
I'm sure glad you took up video taping your adventures Pat, sure do enjoy them and they add a whole new element to your post. Those three colors of fligs, pink and orange tigers and the blue and silver, are the same ones we have been having our best success as well. I might have missed it but how deep was the water in the marina, before you got to the channel?
(04-22-2022, 01:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I'm sure glad you took up video taping your adventures Pat, sure do enjoy them and they add a whole new element to your post. Those three colors of fligs, pink and orange tigers and the blue and silver, are the same ones we have been having our best success as well. I might have missed it but how deep was the water in the marina, before you got to the channel?
Over 3' at the end of the far north ramp where I launched.  Possibly deeper at one or two of the others.  And I was marking between 3-4 feet all the way to the main channel.  Had some 12-13 feet of depth in the channel going out.  But  didn't see much in the way of fishy marks inside.  However, the water was pretty stained from the runoff coming in. 

The guys launching or bringing in boats didn't seem to show much concern or have any trouble pulling their boats up to the docks.  I'm guessing their sonar showed plenty of depth...at least for the "average" boat. 

Thanks for the approval rating on the videos.  I enjoy making them and try to bring in some useable info besides just fighting fish.  Got plans to do a separate video on catfish...from hook to pan...and one on all of the pimping and modifications I have on my float tube.  Have been getting some requests along those lines.  Nasty work, but I guess someone has to do it. 

By the way, I am working on a whole new line of whirly fligs...using small buzz bait blades to create more flutter and noise.  Doubt they will be very effective until the water warms up and the fish get more active.  But I'm betting they will get some fishy votes.  And you can also use those noisy little blades to make crawler harnesses.  Some guys in the midwest have already been doing that.  Those blades are made for noisy topwater presentations.  They spin with even the slightest motion and really send out the vibrations

[Image: BUZZ-FLIGS.jpg]  [Image: BUZZ-TAIL-FLIGS.jpg]

(04-21-2022, 03:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 02:19 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Looks like a busy day. Very good looking channel cats. I wonder why your not getting some larger cats.  10 lbs should be in there.
I can see on your Garmin a Sean that looks like it's snowing,  is that baby shiners?
Sorry for all the questions  not much reporting from willard this spring.
Great job Pat.
There are probably a few "larger" cats swimming in Willard.  But anything over 24" is big by today's standards.  I caught a couple in that range yesterday.  In the "olden days" it was common to have at least one or two bigguns in a day (or night) of fishing.  But, as you observed, most of the ones we catch are perfect frying size.  And as I have been known to say "they ain't no better eatin' catfish than Willard Bay catfish."  But I didn't keep any this trip.  Still got a couple of packages of fillets from the last trip and my wife is visiting our daughter in California this week.  By the way, I have a new tempura recipe that is killer on "catfish fingers" but also works great on perch, crappie, white bass or other panfish.  (See attached)

The "snow" is intermittent interference.  I sometimes need to tweak the gain on my sonar.  It is clear most of the time but under changing conditions it sometimes shows specks.  Too early for shad fry to show up and there aren't enough spot tail shiners in Willard to form large schools.  Most just a few here and there...and mostly inside the harbors. 

I could see almost the whole lake and I did watch the boats.  No single area seemed to draw them.  One was working over the new rock piles west of the south marina.  Some headed for the SW corner.  One other seemed to like the area around the island...but only for a few minutes.  And there were a couple of boats working in several spots around "Freeway Bay".   Also looked like a couple of boats...probably from the north marina...were working along the north dike.  Just as on my last trip the boats moving around a lot seemed to suggest that there were no concentrations of active fish...or that the boat tanglers didn't know what they were doing...or both.

Only one vehicle in the outside lot.  I suspect the walleye spawn is about over.  But in a few weeks it will fill up again with all the happy harvesters hitting the wipers that swarm in their for their faux spawn.

(04-21-2022, 02:28 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a pretty good day considering the weather.  Ya know I've noticed the same pattern you pointed out this year, I've had several trips that I have had to change the lure to catch the next fish and I have caught few fish on the same color the same day... Probably just a coincidence, but interesting you noticed the same thing... I usually stick with the same color all day, so it's a rough pattern for me to deal with.  Later J

Einstein is often credited  with saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over...and expecting different results."  I think that we as optimistic anglers often fit that definition.  Over the years I have encountered innumerable fishless anglers who use the excuse "Well, this is how I caught them ONE TIME".  And I have proven through a lot of trial and error that almost anything will work at one time or another...on one species or another...under some given set of conditions. 

What a lot of anglers fail to realize is that fish don't have conscious reasoning ability.  They can't think and they can't really remember things.  Sure, some harsh lessons may become ingrained in their subconscious...keeping them from falling for the same things that almost got them killed once before. (catch and release?)  And they see colors differently than we do as well.  So when they seem to prefer a certain color on one day...under a certain set of weather, water clarity and light conditions...it ain't just that they like THAT purty color.  It's usually because they can see it better...and they tend to strike what they can find easier.  As we troll or move around a lake, the light and clarity (and water chemistry) conditions can change.  And so should we if we want to catch fish.

That's why it's good to have good sonar and know how to read it.  If the fish are there...and you are not catching...then it is time to keep changing up your offerings or your presentations until you find a pattern.  Either that or accept that the fish are not in an active mode and go find another group of fish to pester.  Odds are that on any given body of water there will be fish in a feeding mode somewhere on that water.  Of course, immediately after a big front passes through can also change that outlook. 

Ain't fishyology fun?

TD, try adding a shot of ice cold vodka to your beer in the tempura recipe. It gasifies quicker than the beer and creates an even crispier and lighter coating.
Thanks for all your awesome posts! 

BBB
(04-22-2022, 05:50 PM)bugbaybum Wrote: TD, try adding a shot of ice cold vodka to your beer in the tempura recipe. It gasifies quicker than the beer and creates an even crispier and lighter coating.
Thanks for all your awesome posts! 

BBB

Thanks.  I appreciate your appreciation.  You realize, of course, that in this "conservative" state that even the use of beer is cause for concern among many of our members.  Not me.  Nor do I fear excommunication for dribbling something a little stronger into the mix.   I have been assured that the cooking process pretty well eliminates the alcoholic element.  Sounds worthy of a try. 

Just thought of a favorite Utah fishing anecdote.  It is said that if you are going to take members of the predominant local religion fishing, be sure to take two.  If you only take one he will drink all your beer.
(04-22-2022, 03:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Over 3' at the end of the far north ramp where I launched.  Possibly deeper at one or two of the others.  And I was marking between 3-4 feet all the way to the main channel.  Had some 12-13 feet of depth in the channel going out.  But  didn't see much in the way of fishy marks inside.  However, the water was pretty stained from the runoff coming in. 

The guys launching or bringing in boats didn't seem to show much concern or have any trouble pulling their boats up to the docks.  I'm guessing their sonar showed plenty of depth...at least for the "average" boat. 

Thanks for the approval rating on the videos.  I enjoy making them and try to bring in some useable info besides just fighting fish.  Got plans to do a separate video on catfish...from hook to pan...and one on all of the pimping and modifications I have on my float tube.  Have been getting some requests along those lines.  Nasty work, but I guess someone has to do it. 

By the way, I am working on a whole new line of whirly fligs...using small buzz bait blades to create more flutter and noise.  Doubt they will be very effective until the water warms up and the fish get more active.  But I'm betting they will get some fishy votes.  And you can also use those noisy little blades to make crawler harnesses.  Some guys in the midwest have already been doing that.  Those blades are made for noisy topwater presentations.  They spin with even the slightest motion and really send out the vibrations

[Image: BUZZ-FLIGS.jpg]  [Image: BUZZ-TAIL-FLIGS.jpg]

Thanks for the info Pat, when are you planning your next trip to Willard? I've been meaning to order some orange tiger fligs and it can't hurt to pick up one of each of your new buzz tail fligs.
(04-24-2022, 04:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info Pat, when are you planning your next trip to Willard? I've been meaning to order some orange tiger fligs and it can't hurt to pick up one of each of your new buzz tail fligs.

Hitting the north marina tomorrow morning.  But really haven't gone into major production on the Buzz Fligs yet.  Might be able to hand off a couple for "Bait-a testing".  PM me if you wanna meet up.  I already let Ira know.  I have some new trinkets he ordered.
(04-24-2022, 05:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 04:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info Pat, when are you planning your next trip to Willard? I've been meaning to order some orange tiger fligs and it can't hurt to pick up one of each of your new buzz tail fligs.

Hitting the north marina tomorrow morning.  But really haven't gone into major production on the Buzz Fligs yet.  Might be able to hand off a couple for "Bait-a testing".  PM me if you wanna meet up.  I already let Ira know.  I have some new trinkets he ordered.

We were planning on being there tomorrow as well, hopefully we can meet up, either on or off the water.