Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard South late report for Monday and Tuesday nights
Monday was a gorgeous evening and I was craving some walleye so decided to load up the family and head to Willard. Upon arrival noticed the canal was flowing into the inlet fast enough to create a current. Decided to fish at the inlet before people loaded up the spot. Had several fish that got off and finally landed a sucker. My wife on the other hand landed 2 walleye using the same rigs and colors as myself for an amazing dinner. Tuesday I braved the weather and was pleasantly surprised the wind was not blowing and was not raining. Caught a huge carp in the mouth with a jig and 4 inch swimbait. A few minutes later I saw the most surprising thing in a long time. The person fishing next to me landed a 36+ inch tiger musky. Did not know those things were in there but imagine it made it down the stream from Pineview. The person caught it on a 3 inch curl tail. The bite was slow for me missed a few again. My wife credits me as her guide which I am thankful for.
[Image: FB-IMG-1650595588999.jpg]
Cool report we fished it a couple weeks ago only foul hooked a few walleye so let them go we also caught a chub very fat one.

There has been a few tigers caught there and you're correct they get washed down from Pineview I was fortunate enough to hook a tiger in the south marina but once I seen it that was it he headed from the dock to the lake and snapped my 8 pound line.
(04-22-2022, 03:07 AM)Lipnrip Wrote: Monday was a gorgeous evening and I was craving some walleye so decided to load up the family and head to Willard. Upon arrival noticed the canal was flowing into the inlet fast enough to create a current. Decided to fish at the inlet before people loaded up the spot. Had several fish that got off and finally landed a sucker. My wife on the other hand landed 2 walleye using the same rigs and colors as myself for an amazing dinner. Tuesday I braved the weather and was pleasantly surprised the wind was not blowing and was not raining. Caught a huge carp in the mouth with a jig and 4 inch swimbait. A few minutes later I saw the most surprising thing in a long time. The person fishing next to me landed a 36+ inch tiger musky. Did not know those things were in there but imagine it made it down the stream from Pineview. The person caught it on a 3 inch curl tail. The bite was slow for me missed a few again. My wife credits me as her guide which I am thankful for.

Kudos to your wife on some nice eyes, I'm kind of surprised the eyes are still in the channel there, seems like most of them are done spawning now but there much be a few that are late to get to the party, which was great for you two. Pretty cool that that guy caught that tiger there, every few years we read about someone catching a muskey at Willard but it does not happen very often. Did he release it?
(04-22-2022, 01:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 03:07 AM)Lipnrip Wrote: Monday was a gorgeous evening and I was craving some walleye so decided to load up the family and head to Willard. Upon arrival noticed the canal was flowing into the inlet fast enough to create a current. Decided to fish at the inlet before people loaded up the spot. Had several fish that got off and finally landed a sucker. My wife on the other hand landed 2 walleye using the same rigs and colors as myself for an amazing dinner. Tuesday I braved the weather and was pleasantly surprised the wind was not blowing and was not raining. Caught a huge carp in the mouth with a jig and 4 inch swimbait. A few minutes later I saw the most surprising thing in a long time. The person fishing next to me landed a 36+ inch tiger musky. Did not know those things were in there but imagine it made it down the stream from Pineview. The person caught it on a 3 inch curl tail. The bite was slow for me missed a few again. My wife credits me as her guide which I am thankful for.

Kudos to your wife on some nice eyes, I'm kind of surprised the eyes are still in the channel there, seems like most of them are done spawning now but there much be a few that are late to get to the party, which was great for you two. Pretty cool that that guy caught that tiger there, every few years we read about someone catching a muskey at Willard but it does not happen very often. Did he release it?

He did not release it. He was of Slavic decent and had a thick accent. He said his family eat everything so I left it at that.
I'm pretty sure the DWR doesn't want tiger muskie in Willard bay I haven't seen a rule on it but I don't think you would be in trouble for keeping it. Pineview is a different story.
(04-23-2022, 02:42 PM)RookyFisher Wrote: I'm pretty sure the DWR doesn't want tiger muskie in Willard bay I haven't seen a rule on it but I don't think you would be in trouble for keeping it. Pineview is a different story.

The limit on tiger musky is 1 over 40 inches statewide unless noted otherwise by body of water. The size of its mouth alone it could have easily eaten bass over 12 inches long and ducks like teal and mallards
Thanks for the report. We went out to the west dike fishing for catfish and got a couple, but nothing of size.
Them muskies sure are a tough breed of fish. I think we need more of them in certain reservoirs. Too bad people put a bad rap on em.
(04-22-2022, 05:25 AM)UTFISHING Wrote: Cool report we fished it a couple weeks ago only foul hooked a few walleye so let them go we also caught a chub very fat one.

I've never heard of anyone catching chub from Willard. Which one of the fish below did it look like?

[Image: utah-chub.jpg]

[Image: utahchub.jpg]