Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe
Well... Finally able to get the new boat out and make use of my Idaho fishing license.  Hit Ririe both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings this week ad was able to have a little success out on the water.  Started out Tuesday looking for perch towards Blacktail and up Willow Creek.  Saw numerous "fish" on the finder but could not get anything to commit.  Decided to troll for kokes and ended up with 2 that were right at 14" as well as one stocker rainbow.  Wednesday the plan was to strictly troll for kokes.  We took home 3 more that were all in that 14" range and landed 3 more stocker rainbows.  All in all, a great couple of evenings on the water with family getting familiar with the new boat... absolutely love electric downriggers!
Nice, sounds like some great trips.
Nice work, love Ririe one of my favorites.
(05-13-2022, 02:42 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Well... Finally able to get the new boat out and make use of my Idaho fishing license.  Hit Ririe both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings this week ad was able to have a little success out on the water.  Started out Tuesday looking for perch towards Blacktail and up Willow Creek.  Saw numerous "fish" on the finder but could not get anything to commit.  Decided to troll for kokes and ended up with 2 that were right at 14" as well as one stocker rainbow.  Wednesday the plan was to strictly troll for kokes.  We took home 3 more that were all in that 14" range and landed 3 more stocker rainbows.  All in all, a great couple of evenings on the water with family getting familiar with the new boat... absolutely love electric downriggers!

Always nice to get out with the family and catching a few kokes always adds to the fun, too bad the perch did not want to play.
Made it out again last night... Brought home 14 Kokes (all 12" plus) and caught one other rainbow. Beautiful evening on the water!!!
(05-25-2022, 02:18 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Made it out again last night... Brought home 14 Kokes (all 12" plus) and caught one other rainbow.  Beautiful evening on the water!!!

Wow, that's great, thanks for the report, good the read that they are still in there in decent numbers. What depth were you catching them at?
We used downriggers from 15 to 25 feet deep with a 75 foot setback and dodger/spinner, dodger Smile blade rig. Also used flat lines with 1/2 oz. of lead set back 125 feet with similar rigs. Tipped everything with crawler/corn and added kokanee scent.
(05-25-2022, 11:16 PM)psanders71 Wrote: We used downriggers from 15 to 25 feet deep with a 75 foot setback and dodger/spinner, dodger Smile blade rig.  Also used flat lines with 1/2 oz. of lead set back 125 feet with similar rigs.  Tipped everything with crawler/corn and added kokanee scent.

Thanks for the added info, good to hear they aren't too deep.
Big Grin 
Wow, been over 2 weeks now since anyone has posted up anything on Ririe here. I havent been out at all this year as I spent the first 3 weeks of May back in Illinois as my mom passed away and dealing with a lot of crap with her estate hasnt been fun, but Im back home just trying to catch up on all the stuff that didnt get done while I was gone.

I did read a couple posts on FB that folks had been doing relatively well on the reservoir lately still using just flat lines with a 5/8 oz sinker. Using normal kok lures tipped with worms then corn was doing well. Fish were generally in the 12 - 14" range from what I was reading. Sounds like things are at least steady.

Hows everyone here been doing? Im still working on my boat floor but hope to get it done this week with the nice weather and then get out next week Smile . I havent had a wet line all year, so hoping to get it down before I cant get out. 

Good luck everyone and keep them lines wet n tight Smile
(06-07-2022, 12:07 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Wow, been over 2 weeks now since anyone has posted up anything on Ririe here. I havent been out at all this year as I spent the first 3 weeks of May back in Illinois as my mom passed away and dealing with a lot of crap with her estate hasnt been fun, but Im back home just trying to catch up on all the stuff that didnt get done while I was gone.

I did read a couple posts on FB that folks had been doing relatively well on the reservoir lately still using just flat lines with a 5/8 oz sinker. Using normal kok lures tipped with worms then corn was doing well. Fish were generally in the 12 - 14" range from what I was reading. Sounds like things are at least steady.

Hows everyone here been doing? Im still working on my boat floor but hope to get it done this week with the nice weather and then get out next week Smile . I havent had a wet line all year, so hoping to get it down before I cant get out. 

Good luck everyone and keep them lines wet n tight Smile
Sorry to hear about your Mom passing, not an easy time, I lost mine close to 15 years ago now. Good luck on getting that boat finished so you can get out. 
I'm always amazed when I read of someone catching a koke on a lure tipped with a worm. I know it's possible because I've done it as tooi but kokes don't normally eat worms, so my best guess is they hit the shiny lure out of agression and there just happen to be a worm on the lure, might have caught it on a bare hook just as well. That brings up another question, has anyone ever tried fishing for kokes with a bare hook on one pole and a baited hook on another pole, just to see which one does the best? My best guess is the baited hook would do a little better but they would both catch fish but who knows.
Worms is all we'd use for bait for kokes in Montana when I was a kid and we'd catch alot of them, things have evolved quite a bit since then.
Wiperhunter2, as far as a bare hook goes, my buddy over in Oregon who has done quite well in Kok tournaments has actually done quite well with bare hooks on several different set ups. The last tournament he won last fall, he was mainly using bare hook setups and the manufactures of the lure world who sponsored the event were all over him to find out what he was using and he never gave up his secret. His philosophy like you said was that the kok was going after the lure and mad at it for invading it's territory and got the hook . So, yes it has been done and he doesnt use it all the time but uses mainly corn in different stages of smell, color etc but, he is one that says, try it you never know what is going to work today vs tomorrow.

My brother-in-law the last couple years while fishing with me, tipped his hooks with worm going after trout and ended up with a few koks. Not many but we were totally shocked at the catch. We dont use it as a normal bait for koks, but, trout yes and whatever we pick up with worms is a bonus Smile.

And thanks for the sympathy note as well.
(06-08-2022, 11:51 AM)duksnfish Wrote: Wiperhunter2, as far as a bare hook goes, my buddy over in Oregon who has done quite well in Kok tournaments has actually done quite well with bare hooks on several different set ups. The last tournament he won last fall, he was mainly using bare hook setups and the manufactures of the lure world who sponsored the event were all over him to find out what he was using and he never gave up his secret. His philosophy like you said was that the kok was going after the lure and mad at it for invading it's territory and got the hook . So, yes it has been done and he doesnt use it all the time but uses mainly corn in different stages of smell, color etc but, he is one that says, try it you never know what is going to work today vs tomorrow.

My brother-in-law the last couple years while fishing with me, tipped his hooks with worm going after trout and ended up with a few koks. Not many but we were totally shocked at the catch. We dont use it as a normal bait for koks, but, trout yes and whatever we pick up with worms is a bonus Smile.

And thanks for the sympathy note as well.
I think with the kokes you don't really need the bait, when they are biting they will hit just about anything. I've even seen them hit big double jointed lures.
Went out for a bit yesterday evening... lots of wakeboarders, etc. cruising around but still had a great time getting our youngest granddaughter out on the new boat. Total tally for the trip was 3 rainbows and 12 kokes. One of the kokes was a dink, two were smaller and the rest were all in the 14 inch range... except for the biggie that was just under 17". Used same tactics that we used last couple times out. Beautiful evening on the water!
Nice, sounds like a great night.
(06-11-2022, 01:54 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Went out for a bit yesterday evening... lots of wakeboarders, etc. cruising around but still had a great time getting our youngest granddaughter out on the new boat.  Total tally for the trip was 3 rainbows and 12 kokes.  One of the kokes was a dink, two were smaller and the rest were all in the 14 inch range... except for the biggie that was just under 17".  Used same tactics that we used last couple times out.  Beautiful evening on the water!

That's a great report, how many hours did you fish?
(06-11-2022, 02:47 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 01:54 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Went out for a bit yesterday evening... lots of wakeboarders, etc. cruising around but still had a great time getting our youngest granddaughter out on the new boat.  Total tally for the trip was 3 rainbows and 12 kokes.  One of the kokes was a dink, two were smaller and the rest were all in the 14 inch range... except for the biggie that was just under 17".  Used same tactics that we used last couple times out.  Beautiful evening on the water!

That's a great report, how many hours did you fish?

A few hours is all... second to last boat off the water.