Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent morning on Willard
I launched my tube just before 8 this morning. Water temp was 62. My launch was from the beach North marina, near the exposed island. Tried lots of offerings. First one to score was a countdown 7 rapala, grey. I was slow rolling, pausing and twitching it like a jerk bait. 18 inch walleye almost made it to the net. I have never seen a fish come off of a rapala treble hook. That was a first. Other method that gave me tugs was dragging a nightcrawler on a jig. Its a method I have done well with in the heat of the summer on DC and Starvation. Scored a 23 inch walleye, another 18 inch walleye, a small kitty fish and a small smallmouth. Gorgeous weather with a slight breeze coming on at 11am, my cue to call it a day. Been too long since I caught some fish.
Gabe
Nicely done...are you using motor power or foot power to get around? dragging your jigs off the bottom?
Good on ya Gabe.  'Bout time you got some love from them Willard fishies.  I was fishing with you...only out of the south marina.  I couldn't find any walleyes but still got beat up by the kitties...as usual.  Will be putting up a report later.
(05-17-2022, 03:43 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nicely done...are you using motor power or foot power to get around? dragging your jigs off the bottom?

Just good ole fins and feet. At best 1.5 miles at full kick. Cant sustain that for long. If I could I would troll lol. Just a slow kick. I would cast, let it hit bottom, then lift my rod, then reel in slack. I would pause and repeat. 1/8 ounce jig but I was thinking maybe if it was lighter, I could keep it on bottom and just off bottom. 
Gabe

(05-17-2022, 12:22 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Good on ya Gabe.  'Bout time you got some love from them Willard fishies.  I was fishing with you...only out of the south marina.  I couldn't find any walleyes but still got beat up by the kitties...as usual.  Will be putting up a report later.
I ain't getting too picky as my trips are too few. Cats are worthy lol. When everything gets settled with our business, maybe I can get back to 2 or 3 trips a week, versus 1 trip every 2 or 3 weeks. Lol
Gabe
Nice job Gabe, sounds like a great trip and appreciate the reminder of the jig/worm method, I've done well with it in the past, but sort have let it fall out of favor and not because it didn't catch fish, I just forgot it... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!