Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather fish in Colorado or Utah?
I have job offers in Salt Lake City and Denver. I am considering many aspects of both but one of my considerations is the fishing in both states. I've never fished in Utah. I have quite a bit of Colorado experience and love the rivers there. Just looking for general opinions
I guess that would depend on what type of fishing you do the most, I have lived in both states Do you fish for multi species or just trout? Do you fly fish or troll using a boat? Lots of great fishing in both states.
I haven't fished Colorado, but Utah has some great fishing... Sounds like you might be into fly fishing, so between the local rivers, Uinta mountains, Boulder Mountain, Green river and not to mention Wyoming is really close with the Wind Rivers and Nevada with the Rubies all within a reasonable drive... So is Idaho too, so Utah is right in the middle of a lot of great fishing... Can't go too wrong in Utah, so don't let the fishing turn you away from choosing the job that best fits what you're looking for... Good luck on the decision.. J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'm a western slope native and there is a lot of great fishing there. But Denver is a different story. You probably would want to check on what is close by. There are a number of good lakes within easy reach of Salt Lake, but not many streams. You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck on your decision.

I don't know where you are coming from but you might want to consider other things in general. Denver is quite liberal and while Utah in general is pretty conservative Salt Lake itself is pretty liberal, too. I know that you would want to feel comfortable in the milieu where you live. Just my perspective.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I lived in Ut. for over 30 years and I loved it. I now live in Co. and I love it even more. I live in Loveland about 50 miles north of Denver. there are a lot of lake within a 30 minute drive. if you like walleye fishing there are plenty of places for them here. ice fishing is also great here.
good luck with witch ever you choose.
(05-17-2022, 09:11 AM)vickiedawson Wrote: I have job offers in Salt Lake City and Denver. I am considering many aspects of both but one of my considerations is the fishing in both states. I've never fished in Utah. I have quite a bit of Colorado experience and love the rivers there. Just looking for general opinions

I'm from the Salt Lake Valley, been living in Grand Junction for the last 13 years.  I try to stay away from places too close to Denver, so I am not the best reference, but I actually split my fishing, (what little I am able to do anymore) to about half and half between the states, with two trips up to Wyoming (FG and Wind River Mountains) each year.  It's a pain having license for 3 states, but you do what you have to.  I don't like crowds, so I love the western slope, both states have a lot to offer, but I do prefer Utah, but not by much.  I really would base the decision on other factors.
Definitely Colorado.
Take the Denver job 100%!
(05-17-2022, 09:11 AM)vickiedawson Wrote: I have job offers in Salt Lake City and Denver. I am considering many aspects of both but one of my considerations is the fishing in both states. I've never fished in Utah. I have quite a bit of Colorado experience and love the rivers there. Just looking for general opinions

I fish mainly streams and rivers. I especially enjoy doing that in solitude. That's a lot easier close to Salt Lake City than Denver. Remember Colorado has almost twice the population and fishing licenses sold. Denver metro is also twice that of SLC metro. I wouldn't avoid SLC because you think river fishing isn't as good. In thousands of hours of stream fishing in Utah I've easily averaged 10 fish an hour and over a footlong. And some of that is targeting smaller trout in small creeks. And there are several places within an hour or two drive where you have a chance at trout over 20 inches every trip.