Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 5/20
I knew before heading up that the weather would be dicey. I did not expect the intermittent snow. But I’ll take a day on the water almost any time. 

Went into the bay and tried the usual areas, but like others who’ve been there recently, I couldn’t interest anything. Only one or two boats visible—I guess everyone else rightfully believed the weather forecast. Went through the narrows and tried the Soldier Creek side, where we enticed a few Kokanee and trout. Spray from the water while cruising over almost immediately froze on the boat windshield. 

I didn’t see any schooled up fish on the finder. Maybe next time.
If you're driving from a fairly long distance to go to Strawberry or S.C. I can see where you'd not want to waste the trip, and launch...I know, I've done that, once waiting 3 hrs before launching at the main Marina, once launching at Willard when I should have just turned around and went back home...It's a judgement call..some boats are better suited for inclement wind and weather, and some boaters (fishermen) are better suited for inclement wind and weather...Guess I'm turning into more of a fair-weather boater, 'cuz I want to enjoy the whole experience and not be fighting conditions...Glad you made it out and back safely, and managed a few fish...maybe our weather patterns will settle down soon, 'cuz I'm ready for a Berry trip myself...Guluk..
Big Grin 
I live in Weber County, so driving time is an important consideration.  Strawberry is about a 2-hour, 1-way drive for me and the Gorge is about a 3-hour, 1-way drive for me.  Fuel cost has become a major factor this year with about $4.50 a gal being close to average.  Mileage pulling my boat is going to be about 11 m/g.  Distance to Strawberry from home is 224 miles round-trip and will cost about $95 for fuel.  Distance to the Gorge from home is 348 miles round-trip plus miles to and from the launch & Motel and will cost about $175 for fuel.

Going to the Gorge for me isn't ever a day trip - too far at my age.  So, add a motel cost of $90 for one night and about $40 for restaurant meals for just me.  Plan 4 trips a year and the Wyoming fees ($30 for AIS decal & $30 for fishing stamp) add another $15 to my trip.  So, 2 days of Gorge fishing will cost me about $160 a day.

I can do Strawberry day trips at about $95 a day.  I didn't include boat fuel usage, but that is minimal.  So, yes, it's cheaper to fish closer to home, but the fishing quality isn't the same at Strawberry as it is at the Gorge.  Strawberry limits are harder to come by and the average size of the kokanee are smaller, compared to the Gorge.  I'm willing to pay a little more for that better Gorge quality.  Your budget restraints may not make that an option.  Life's a beach; then we die.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(05-22-2022, 01:31 PM)dubob Wrote: I live in Weber County, so driving time is an important consideration.  Strawberry is about a 2-hour, 1-way drive for me and the Gorge is about a 3-hour, 1-way drive for me.  Fuel cost has become a major factor this year with about $4.50 a gal being close to average.  Mileage pulling my boat is going to be about 11 m/g.  Distance to Strawberry from home is 224 miles round-trip and will cost about $95 for fuel.  Distance to the Gorge from home is 348 miles round-trip plus miles to and from the launch & Motel and will cost about $175 for fuel.
My story is somewhat same here living in North Ogden area, but I drive a diesel which puts that $1 per gal higher. Mileage is about the same as mentioned above as a 1/2 tank is $110. I also have a second vehicle (Escalade) that I can tow with for which I can use cheaper price fuel. Performance is lousy using low octane fuel, so I burned nonethanol which does fine with it until it becomes no longer available. But mileage does not improve while towing my boat which is the same mentioned above. Now that the national average is stated here at $4.50 for regular gas today what is it going to be tomorrow as these prices happen to rise on a daily basis. 

Going to the Gorge for me isn't ever a day trip - too far at my age.  So, add a motel cost of $90 for one night and about $40 for restaurant meals for just me.  Plan 4 trips a year and the Wyoming fees ($30 for AIS decal & $30 for fishing stamp) add another $15 to my trip.  So, 2 days of Gorge fishing will cost me about $160 a day.
Since 2012 my wife no longer can enjoy the trips we made to camp out at the Gorge do to crippling physical issues. So I do the turn & burn trips when I can and at home every night to help her. My trips are now lessened these days, so I get what I can when I can. I still spend as mentioned above here even stopping off at a burger joint on my way home. 

I can do Strawberry day trips at about $95 a day.  I didn't include boat fuel usage, but that is minimal.  So, yes, it's cheaper to fish closer to home, but the fishing quality isn't the same at Strawberry as it is at the Gorge.  Strawberry limits are harder to come by and the average size of the kokanee are smaller, compared to the Gorge.  I'm willing to pay a little more for that better Gorge quality.  Your budget restraints may not make that an option.  Life's a beach; then we die.

Big Grin
Strawberry day trips is not bad, I consider anything over a 2hr drive a turn & burn, so I'm at that threshold. I even found that the Gorge trips for kokanee sometimes would make you work for just 1 maybe 2, humbly again making do with what I can get. While the Gorge also has quality koke size I can't complain with what I catch from the Berry, I've pulled out some decent size fish from there, trying to avoid the onslaught of cutts that are mostly slot range. I too don't include boat gas as I can make several trips on less than tank. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
It is getting spendier, for sure. I went to Sand Hollow last month for two fishing days. It was a 715-mile round trip with three hotel nights. Meals. miles and motel costs were just over $600 total for just myself. If I had taken my wife, the meals cost would have doubled to almost $200.

Wife and I are about to head to Starvie for another two fishing days, three nights in a cabin there. I'll report results and costs when I get back.
I got some great advice many years ago from an old boater/Lake Powell nut before I bought a Cobalt family style ski boat. He said: "Never try to justify boating financially - It can't be done. Buy and enjoy a boat and make memories with your family but don't try to make financial sense of it." I have tried to follow that advice but I'm not immune from the sticker shock at the pump either. It cost me $75 in diesel fuel last week for and evening at the Berry. I remember many years ago at Lake Powell taking that Cobalt over to Halls Crossing fuel dock with an empty tank. saw the price of regular was $5.85 a gallon and knowing that the tank was almost empty and holds 60 gallons I knew it was going to be painful. As I sat there watching the dollars spin around waaaaaay faster than the gallons, I thought back at the last 2 full days of glorious fun that we had spent as a family using all that gas. Then the thought came to my mind that if I were to take the family to Disneyland It would have cost me north of $600 for just one day. When the pump finally stopped and $280 was "all I owed" I was so thankful that for less than half the cost of one day at Disneyland I had enjoyed 2 full days on the lake and had so much more fun! For the record, I would actually pay to not have to go to Disneyland ever again but I don't want to offend any of you Disney lovers. Anyway, I recognize that fuel is expensive and many of us don't have unlimited budgets but the more we forget the price and focus on the thrill the happier we'll be. My real aspiration is to join Brookie and some others who beat the fuel problem by just moving to the Berry for summer and get several days of fishing in for the same fuel cost. Still trying to convince my sweetheart that this is a good idea and that she would love it.
If you really want to see a fuel pump spin take your diesel truck to the ‘big boy’ trucker pumps and pull that handle back!!