Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon fishing with Kent
Kent's been inviting me to go sturgeon fishing with him for awhile but timing hasn't been good until this week. We did a Wednesday trip and me and Bruce had a great time! The day ended up with 22 sturgeon caught with Kent kicking our butts with 15 sturgeon and I ended up with 4 including the biggest of the day at 7ft 7 inches and Bruce with 3 fish and a 7 footer.  We missed a ton of bites because you'd think a huge fish would hit hard instead of gently tapping the bait and the rod tip barely moving ? Kent ended up catching the last 5 fish in a row he git on a hot streak right before left. It was great learning from the sturgeon master ?
[Image: 20220601-110033.jpg]

[Image: 20220601-110040.jpg]
Cesar, it was a pleasure fishing with you and Bruce.
Nice fish. Sturgeon fishing is unreal. The tap tap tap is so light until you put that hook through their lip and then it’s game on. I’ve only been in Oregon but would love to learn the more “local” areas.
[Image: 12424-CF4-A341-4033-B509-9-E01-C6-F21-DAD.jpg]

[Image: 1397-DA7-C-5-DF6-4231-B7-B7-FB359-B3-DFAEC.jpg]

[Image: 5-EB97-E68-F4-FA-48-FA-82-AC-3-C4-D71-C76-A57.jpg]
Good reading about all your trips this year Kent.

We missed a ton of bites because you'd think a huge fish would hit hard instead of gently tapping the bait and the rod tip barely moving ?

No doubt you were already briefed on this, but there's a reason he has tethers on all his poles. They don't always just nibble
(06-05-2022, 05:23 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I’ve only been in Oregon but would love to learn the more “local” areas.
[url=https://postimg.cc/t775d81K][/url]

I wish way back in the day, when they could plant whatever species of fish that they desired, wherever they wanted, that they would have planted some sturgeon in Utah waters.  Although, I'm not sure that there are any waters where they would have flourished.
(06-05-2022, 09:15 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 05:23 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I’ve only been in Oregon but would love to learn the more “local” areas.
[url=https://postimg.cc/t775d81K][/url]

I wish way back in the day, when they could plant whatever species of fish that they desired, wherever they wanted, that they would have planted some sturgeon in Utah waters.  Although, I'm not sure that there are any waters where they would have flourished.

Agreed, I figure the only “local”or closest spots to Utah are in Idaho??
(06-05-2022, 10:22 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Agreed, I figure the only “local”or closest spots to Utah are in Idaho??

Correct.

(06-05-2022, 09:15 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Good reading about all your trips this year Kent.

We missed a ton of bites because you'd think a huge fish would hit hard instead of gently tapping the bait and the rod tip barely moving ?

No doubt you were already briefed on this, but there's a reason he has tethers on all his poles. They don't always just nibble

Yep, we have had them snap off the rod holder and take the entire outfit.  Hence, why we use tethers.  Where we have been fishing, it is not uncommon to be getting bites on both rods, so it is also nice that one can just lay the one rod down (that one was holding because they got a bite) and grab the other rod.  If the first sturgeon comes back and bites aggressively the tether will save the rod.