Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My, My...A Walleye Willard 6-8-22 (with video)
LINK TO VIDEO

Ashamed to admit I had not yet scored any walleyes from Willard…with the apparently wide open bite for the boating contingent.  But since my speed and range are limited by my electric motor and single battery I have to work a little harder sometimes.  I can’t rocket to all parts of the lake in search of fish…or I can’t troll at the high speeds that are most effective for very long.  But once I get on fish I usually catch a few.  Last year I did well early.  This year I have had trouble finding fish in the areas I am limited to fishing from my tube.  Water levels are low and it has been a weird year.

Launched Wednesday morning at the south marina about 6:30 am.  Air temp a comfy 60 (warming to 75 at noon departure).  Water temp started at 64 but only warmed a couple of degrees before noon…due to the overcast and light breezy conditions.  But I was still comfy even without my waders for the first time this year.
 [Image: LAUNCH-TIME.jpg]

Started off dragging whirly flig crawler rigs…on a 3 way dropper setup.  Started fishing in about 6 feet of water but did not see any fish or have any hits until I was past the 11’ depth mark.  After missing a couple of pop and drops I had a solid take and killed the daily skunk with my first cat of the day…on a chartreuse whirly crawler rig.
 [Image: SKUNK-KILLER.jpg] [Image: CHARTREUSE-WITH-CRAWLER.jpg]

Barely had time to release that kitty and rebait when the other rod got busy.  Set the hook and felt something “uncatlike”.  Yee haw.  First Willard Walleye of the year.  A healthy 18 incher that totally gulped down the fire tiger whirly/crawler rig.  I dared hope I might add some toothy companions to this fish in my basket.  But alas, that was the first and only.
[Image: GULP.jpg] [Image: WILLARD-WALLIE-18-IN.jpg]

I did have a few “rattle rattle” bites…and some others that were not the typical “gulp and go” munches of a catfish.  And one major whack hauled the rod down, stripped line off the drag and then let go.  Inexperienced fish.  Didn’t know how to hang on.  Or maybe it was too experienced and knew how to avoid the hook.  I was guessing wiper but it can be anything I want it to be if nobody else witnessed it.

I probably sorelipped between 8-10 catfish today...using several different colors of whirly fligs.  Most hit hard, fought well and provided some appreciated tugs.  Would have liked to catch more walleyes…or a wiper…but I was seeing very little on sonar all day…and catching even less.  Of the fish I caught I don’t remember seeing any of them either on down imaging or side imaging before they hit.  All of them seeingly came in from the side in response to the flash and vibration of the little airplane spinner blades on the whirly fligs.  And I used only crawlers today.  Didn’t even bring any chubs.  And I can’t remember any trip on which I have caught so many cats on crawlers.
[Image: CHART-PERCH-2.jpg] [Image: FIRE-TIGER-KITTY.jpg]

I also tried throwing some plastics on one rod while dragging a whirly flig on the second rod.  Never got a sniff.  And I trolled crankbaits back in (at almost 2 mph) for the last half hour of the trip without either of them being molested.  I talked to a couple of returning boaters that had scored well on walleyes on other parts of the lake.  They confirmed that being able to see some marks increased the percentages of being able to catch fish.  Guess it’s true.  “Ya cain’t ketch ‘em where they ain’t.”
Glad to see you finally found some eyes to play with, the only thing worse than not seeing and catchin, is seeing them all over the place and never getting a sniff, sounds like you might need to put a bigger motor on that thing.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Congrats on corralling that eye Pat, a few kitties are also a good add to the days tugs. Did your eye have anything in it’s stomach, the ones we got were pretty much empty with nothing that could be identified
(06-09-2022, 01:26 PM)2knots Wrote: Congrats on corralling that eye Pat, a few kitties are also a good add to the days tugs. Did your eye have anything in it’s stomach, the ones we got were pretty much empty with nothing that could be identified
I brought home six yesterday and not a single thing in any of their stomachs either.
Every one of them were very healthy and in great shape.
[Image: 5757616-A-9-C82-4693-8-EAC-F846707324-BD.jpg]

[Image: 64-DCAC90-3962-4585-BA6-C-5765-DE815-BC8.jpg]
(06-09-2022, 01:26 PM)2knots Wrote: Congrats on corralling that eye Pat, a few kitties are also a good add to the days tugs. Did your eye have anything in it’s stomach, the ones we got were pretty much empty with nothing that could be identified
Thanks.  Nope...nuttin' in the digestive tract.  But, as others have commented the fish was healthy and appeared to have been eating well over the winter...or at least during the dying shad glut of late fall. 

I have read with interest the comments about seeing early wiper boils...and some walleyes containing 3-4" shad in their innards.  They would not yet be that large from this year's spawn...even if spawned very early.  But I have witnessed a couple of terns swooping down to pick up something from the surface that appeared to be in that size range.  Wondering if those fish might instead be "spottail shiners".  There is apparently a growing population of them.  I got quite a few in my cast net when doing some sample tosses in both the north and south marinas last year.
[Image: SPOTTAIL-SHINERS.jpg]
(06-09-2022, 01:37 PM)MrShane Wrote:
I brought home six yesterday and not a single thing in any of their stomachs either.
Every one of them were very healthy and in great shape.
[Image: 5757616-A-9-C82-4693-8-EAC-F846707324-BD.jpg]

[Image: 64-DCAC90-3962-4585-BA6-C-5765-DE815-BC8.jpg]
Yes the ones we have been catching have been in real good shape also.
Good to read you got your first eye of the season Pat. In normal years the really good eye bite would be coming to an eye shortly but with all the unsettled weather we have been having, I'm guessing we have at least until the end of the month, maybe longer. I've heard the same theory about those baitfish being spottail shiners and some of them could be but I'm also seeing growing numbers of smaller baitfish in the water column that are likely shad, because of their larger numbers, I guess time will tell.
Congrats Pat, always nice to catch a dead stick, I mean a walleye... at least you got good tugs with the kitties and tasty vitals from the eye... Successful trip for sure... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-10-2022, 02:09 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats Pat, always nice to catch a dead stick, I mean a walleye...  at least you got good tugs with the kitties and tasty vitals from the eye... Successful trip for sure... Later J
Thanks.  However, it always amazes me that so many people think of walleyes as poor fighters.  Sure, when you hook one while washing lures at mach 3 you take the starch out of them before they can show much.  But most of the eyes I catch are caught either at low speed bottom bouncing or while casting jigs.  And most of those put up as good of a fight as any other fish.  And some of the big mamas at Utah Lake can really beat you up.  But the main thing I really like about casting for them is feeling the solid CHOMP when they slam their toothy jaws shut on whatever I am fishing.  Ya just don't get that while fast trolling. 

Tasty "vitals"?  I'm pretty sure you meant "victuals".  But then your victuals usually pass through your vitals so what the heck?
Filleted over 50 Willard walleyes so far this year. I have not found anything in stomachs except 2 that had a bit of what appeared to be midges? They have all been in great shape, even had fat reserves!
Mildog out

Pat,(Tubedude)
I agree in the right situation Walleye can give you a good battle. Trolling cranks at warp speed at Willard not so much
Drag in like a wet towel, but oh so tasty and fun to figure out!
Best fighting walleye I ever caught and I know you experienced them were the Walleye in river below Yuba in high waters years of old 84’ I think.
Strong current and healthy eyes up to 6.5 7lbs they were strong fighters and kicked butt!
Those were awesome!
Mildog out!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(06-10-2022, 02:24 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 02:09 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats Pat, always nice to catch a dead stick, I mean a walleye...  at least you got good tugs with the kitties and tasty vitals from the eye... Successful trip for sure... Later J
Thanks.  However, it always amazes me that so many people think of walleyes as poor fighters.  Sure, when you hook one while washing lures at mach 3 you take the starch out of them before they can show much.  But most of the eyes I catch are caught either at low speed bottom bouncing or while casting jigs.  And most of those put up as good of a fight as any other fish.  And some of the big mamas at Utah Lake can really beat you up.  But the main thing I really like about casting for them is feeling the solid CHOMP when they slam their toothy jaws shut on whatever I am fishing.  Ya just don't get that while fast trolling. 

Tasty "vitals"?  I'm pretty sure you meant "victuals".  But then your victuals usually pass through your vitals so what the heck?
Better than that is when you feel that very light tap, wait just a second after you know shes got in her mouth and set the hook, those big momas do not like to come in and when they roll you see the big swirl of water from there tail and you know that hook can pop out of that rock hard mouth any second,  that a adrenaline RUSH,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]

Pat,
He could have meant “vittles” slang for victuals?
anyway you say it walleyes are very toothsome to quote you tubedude!
Mildog out!

time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(06-10-2022, 03:14 PM)Mildog Wrote: [quote pid="1134434" dateline="1654871075"]
Pat,
He could have meant “vittles” slang for victuals?
anyway you say it walleyes are very toothsome to quote you tubedude!
Mildog out!

[/quote]
Yeah.  What's in a name?  Bottom line is they is mighty fine on the table.
Yup, sorry with the spelling error and I have caught a few that did fight, but most save their energy for the final roll at the net... which too many do throw the hook like Mike mentioned... I still like to catch them, but I have had some that really disappointed me in their fight.. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-10-2022, 03:10 PM)AMSM1970 Wrote:

Better than that is when you feel that very light tap, wait just a second after you know shes got in her mouth and set the hook, those big momas do not like to come in and when they roll you see the big swirl of water from there tail and you know that hook can pop out of that rock hard mouth any second,  that a adrenaline RUSH,

I have had it both ways. Some walleye I hook into on the Bear River just roll right on into the net. I do remember a time when I hooked into a big 30” and it sure fought hard! I thought I had a carp on the line….ended up being around 10 pounds too. Anyways, eating them is the main reason I look for the eyes.
(06-10-2022, 03:02 PM)Mildog Wrote: Filleted over 50 Willard walleyes so far this year. I have not found anything in stomachs except 2 that had a bit of what appeared to be midges? They have all been in great shape, even had fat reserves!
Mildog out

Pat,(Tubedude)
I agree in the right situation Walleye can give you a good battle. Trolling cranks at  warp speed at Willard not so much
Drag in like a wet towel, but oh so tasty and fun to figure out!
Best fighting walleye I ever caught and I know you experienced them were the Walleye in river below Yuba in high waters years of old 84’ I think.
Strong current and healthy eyes up to 6.5 7lbs they were strong fighters and kicked butt!
Those were awesome!
Mildog out!

Ah yes.  The good ol' days below Yuba.  We definitely did some damage down there.  Really miss that.  Also, we got some good fun while chucking yellow plastics into the rocks at Willard a few times.  Always fun to try to fool those wascally walleyes and to get some tugs out of them before they turn into tasty fillets. 

I dug up a couple of pics from the past.  The first is of a northern and some walleyes caught on a trip with Rick.  The second is actually a shot you took with my camera after one of our trips at Willard.
[Image: YUBA-CATCH.jpg]  [Image: WILLARD-WALLEYE.jpg]

(06-10-2022, 03:10 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 02:24 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Thanks.  However, it always amazes me that so many people think of walleyes as poor fighters.  Sure, when you hook one while washing lures at mach 3 you take the starch out of them before they can show much.  But most of the eyes I catch are caught either at low speed bottom bouncing or while casting jigs.  And most of those put up as good of a fight as any other fish.  And some of the big mamas at Utah Lake can really beat you up.  But the main thing I really like about casting for them is feeling the solid CHOMP when they slam their toothy jaws shut on whatever I am fishing.  Ya just don't get that while fast trolling. 

You bring up a good point.  Walleyes do not always chomp hard when you are throwing jigs.  As you well know, those big pre-spawn mamas you chase so well in Utah Lake are a lot slower and less aggressive in that cold ice out water.  You really have to have your strike antenna up and be aware of any "change in the force".  A lot of guys miss strikes they never knew they had.  That's why it is so important to have light and sensitive gear so that you can feel everything going on at the other end of your line. 

And another good point...walleyes (especially the larger ones) really do have hard mouths.  If you don't get a good hookset you are likely to get your lure back without a fish attached.  This happens a lot when they do their customary open-mouth head shake as you are reaching for them with the net.  On some days I have found it helpful to do a wind down on the reel and do a second hard hookset to help insure a good hookup.  Doesn't always work but it can put a couple more fish in the net some days.
(06-09-2022, 01:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: LINK TO VIDEO

Ashamed to admit I had not yet scored any walleyes from Willard…with the apparently wide open bite for the boating contingent.  But since my speed and range are limited by my electric motor and single battery I have to work a little harder sometimes.  I can’t rocket to all parts of the lake in search of fish…or I can’t troll at the high speeds that are most effective for very long.  But once I get on fish I usually catch a few.  Last year I did well early.  This year I have had trouble finding fish in the areas I am limited to fishing from my tube.  Water levels are low and it has been a weird year.

Launched Wednesday morning at the south marina about 6:30 am.  Air temp a comfy 60 (warming to 75 at noon departure).  Water temp started at 64 but only warmed a couple of degrees before noon…due to the overcast and light breezy conditions.  But I was still comfy even without my waders for the first time this year.
 [Image: LAUNCH-TIME.jpg]

Started off dragging whirly flig crawler rigs…on a 3 way dropper setup.  Started fishing in about 6 feet of water but did not see any fish or have any hits until I was past the 11’ depth mark.  After missing a couple of pop and drops I had a solid take and killed the daily skunk with my first cat of the day…on a chartreuse whirly crawler rig.
 [Image: SKUNK-KILLER.jpg] [Image: CHARTREUSE-WITH-CRAWLER.jpg]

Barely had time to release that kitty and rebait when the other rod got busy.  Set the hook and felt something “uncatlike”.  Yee haw.  First Willard Walleye of the year.  A healthy 18 incher that totally gulped down the fire tiger whirly/crawler rig.  I dared hope I might add some toothy companions to this fish in my basket.  But alas, that was the first and only.
[Image: GULP.jpg] [Image: WILLARD-WALLIE-18-IN.jpg]

I did have a few “rattle rattle” bites…and some others that were not the typical “gulp and go” munches of a catfish.  And one major whack hauled the rod down, stripped line off the drag and then let go.  Inexperienced fish.  Didn’t know how to hang on.  Or maybe it was too experienced and knew how to avoid the hook.  I was guessing wiper but it can be anything I want it to be if nobody else witnessed it.

I probably sorelipped between 8-10 catfish today...using several different colors of whirly fligs.  Most hit hard, fought well and provided some appreciated tugs.  Would have liked to catch more walleyes…or a wiper…but I was seeing very little on sonar all day…and catching even less.  Of the fish I caught I don’t remember seeing any of them either on down imaging or side imaging before they hit.  All of them seeingly came in from the side in response to the flash and vibration of the little airplane spinner blades on the whirly fligs.  And I used only crawlers today.  Didn’t even bring any chubs.  And I can’t remember any trip on which I have caught so many cats on crawlers.
[Image: CHART-PERCH-2.jpg] [Image: FIRE-TIGER-KITTY.jpg]

I also tried throwing some plastics on one rod while dragging a whirly flig on the second rod.  Never got a sniff.  And I trolled crankbaits back in (at almost 2 mph) for the last half hour of the trip without either of them being molested.  I talked to a couple of returning boaters that had scored well on walleyes on other parts of the lake.  They confirmed that being able to see some marks increased the percentages of being able to catch fish.  Guess it’s true.  “Ya cain’t ketch ‘em where they ain’t.”
Pat
One walleye is better than none. Any walleye is a trophy in my book. Good work fellow float tuber. I gotta wait for a bit to get out again, but really want to hit DC  ASAP.
Gabe
(06-10-2022, 10:39 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Pat
One walleye is better than none. Any walleye is a trophy in my book. Good work fellow float tuber. I gotta wait for a bit to get out again, but really want to hit DC  ASAP.
Gabe

Sorry plans didn't work out for you this week.  Let me know the next time you wanna hit DC and I will probably be able to join you.  Love that lake for walleyes.  I hear them calling.
Pat, what's your runtime at approx 2 mph with your current motor setup? Wonder if someone towed you out to the 'hot' spot then dropped you off and left you to play around. Of course leaving enough lead in your battery to get back safely