Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Willard Morning 6/10
My wife and I launched at a bit after 6 am out of the south marina. Quite a few trailers already in the parking areas. We motored to the west side and started pulling a variety of cranks and bottom bouncers. Nothing. Went south towards a big concentration of boats in the SW corner. Just before arriving we caught 2 eyes on cranks. Had another one on, then nothing. Didn't notice anyone catching in the group of boats, most looked to be bottom bouncing. After a couple of more passes I pulled in the poles and we ran to Freeway Bay. Great move on our part.

Got our lines out and within a few minutes caught a wiper. Catching was steady and at one point we had 5 eyes and 5 wipers in the cooler as well as a catch and release on a smallmouth. We had caught 2 doubles as well. I finally pulled the bottom bouncer out (it never got hit) and put on another crank. So we had 4 poles pulling cranks. We had been running from 2.1 to 2.6 up to that point. I decided to see what would happen if we bumped up the speed. I stowed the electric, put down the big motor, and cranked the speed up to 3.5-3.7. Lets just say the wipers liked it fast. Bam, fish on, bam 2nd pole goes bendo when reeling in the 1st, we have another double. Before we can land the 1st, the third rod gets hooked up, a triple! Got the 1st one in the boat, a wiper. I'm fighting the second and I have my wife grab the third rod. It had tangled with the 4th line. Got the second wiper in the boat. I was trying to untangle the 3rd line and get the fish in when the 4th line that is tangled with the 3rd gets slammed. It was mayhem, a quadruple hookup! Ended up losing the 3rd, but after cutting the 3rd line at the crank to speed up the untangling process, we were able to land the 4th, another wiper. I have never had that happen before.

We quit just a bit before 11. Tally for the day was 15 wipers, 5 walleye and 1 smallmouth. Nothing too big today. Had one nice wiper on that I got a good look at but the rest were probably last years planters but fun fighters. Walleye were between 14-17". Smallmouth about 11". 21 fish caught with another 8-10 hookups that just came loose. It is HOT right now. Saw some shad ball marks today as well.

[Image: received-535829148250261-1.jpg]

[Image: received-5452084738176089.jpg]

[Image: received-579971686834503.jpg]

[Image: received-5955350301158605.jpg]
Looks
Like it was a great week day fishing event, good job
Nice job, not that that was hard work but a lot of fun from the sounds of it. From reports I've read the SW corner was not the place to be today. Ira and I have only had one quad hookup of wipers, years ago and we were lucky to get them all in. They all hit at the same time, so we just reeled in the inside lines first, then all the outside lines. I'm sure you had your hands full, nice going getting three of them in. Sounds like the wipers are on fire, thanks for the report and pics.
Congrats, jigfisher. My boat isn't designed for trolling, and doesn't even have any rod holders, so I was limited to one hand-held rod this morning. Worse, my two options for speed were 2.8 mph on the main motor or 1.4 on the electric. I was glad to get the one - BIG - catfish I landed. I spent too much time on the west and SW based on previous reports. Shoulda gone to Freeway like you. I may have even seen you leave!
Thanks Rocky. We were in a blue and white bayliner and we didn't stick around long.  2.8 with the flicker shad should have got some attention out in Freeway bay.  Hand held rod and wiper strikes, now that sounds fun!

(06-10-2022, 08:43 PM)2knots Wrote: Looks
Like it was a great week day fishing event, good job

Thanks Alan.

(06-10-2022, 09:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice job, not that that was hard work but a lot of fun from the sounds of it. From reports I've read the SW corner was not the place to be today. Ira and I have only had one quad hookup of wipers, years ago and we were lucky to get them all in. They all hit at the same time, so we just reeled in the inside lines first, then all the outside lines. I'm sure you had your hands full, nice going getting three of them in. Sounds like the wipers are on fire, thanks for the report and pics.

Thanks. I was just like Rocky, had heard good reports from the west side. When it didn't pan out we got out of there pretty quick. Yes the wipers were hot today.
Wowzers sounds like a party. Wonderful work! Congrats. Wonder how many you woulda caught in an ultimate boat?
(06-10-2022, 08:34 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: My wife and I launched at a bit after 6 am out of the south marina.  Quite a few trailers already in the parking areas. We motored to the west side and started pulling a variety of cranks and bottom bouncers. Nothing.  Went south towards a big concentration of boats in the SW corner.  Just before arriving we caught 2 eyes on cranks. Had another one on, then nothing.  Didn't notice anyone catching in the group of boats, most looked to be bottom bouncing.  After a couple of more passes I pulled in the poles and we ran to Freeway Bay.  Great move on our part. 

Got our lines out and within a few minutes caught a wiper.  Catching was steady and at one point we had 5 eyes and 5 wipers in the cooler as well as a catch and release on a smallmouth. We had caught 2 doubles as well. I finally pulled the bottom bouncer out (it never got hit) and put on another crank.  So we had 4 poles pulling cranks.  We had been running from 2.1 to 2.6 up to that point. I decided to see what would happen if we bumped up the speed.  I stowed the electric, put down the big motor, and cranked the speed up to 3.5-3.7. Lets just say the wipers liked it fast. Bam, fish on, bam 2nd pole goes bendo when reeling in the 1st, we have another double.  Before we can land the 1st, the third rod gets hooked up, a triple! Got the 1st one in the boat, a wiper. I'm fighting the second and I have my wife grab the third rod. It had tangled with the 4th line.  Got the second wiper in the boat. I was trying to untangle the 3rd line and get the fish in when the 4th line that is tangled with the 3rd gets slammed.  It was mayhem, a quadruple hookup! Ended up losing the 3rd, but after cutting the 3rd line at the crank to speed up the untangling process, we were able to land the 4th, another wiper. I have never had that happen before.

We quit just a bit before 11. Tally for the day was 15 wipers, 5 walleye and 1 smallmouth. Nothing too big today.  Had one nice wiper on that I got a good look at but the rest were probably last years planters but fun fighters.  Walleye were between 14-17". Smallmouth about 11".  21 fish caught with another 8-10 hookups that just came loose.  It is HOT right now.  Saw some shad  ball marks today as well.

Thanks for the report. Great info for when the batteries have had enough but I wanna keep going. Any advice on how you got you wife to join you fishing would be welcome. I try my hardest and she just tells me if I wanna woman to fish with to just get a fishing girlfriend. Pretty sure that would be hard to land.
(06-11-2022, 12:33 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 08:34 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: My wife and I launched at a bit after 6 am out of the south marina.  Quite a few trailers already in the parking areas. We motored to the west side and started pulling a variety of cranks and bottom bouncers. Nothing.  Went south towards a big concentration of boats in the SW corner.  Just before arriving we caught 2 eyes on cranks. Had another one on, then nothing.  Didn't notice anyone catching in the group of boats, most looked to be bottom bouncing.  After a couple of more passes I pulled in the poles and we ran to Freeway Bay.  Great move on our part. 

Got our lines out and within a few minutes caught a wiper.  Catching was steady and at one point we had 5 eyes and 5 wipers in the cooler as well as a catch and release on a smallmouth. We had caught 2 doubles as well. I finally pulled the bottom bouncer out (it never got hit) and put on another crank.  So we had 4 poles pulling cranks.  We had been running from 2.1 to 2.6 up to that point. I decided to see what would happen if we bumped up the speed.  I stowed the electric, put down the big motor, and cranked the speed up to 3.5-3.7. Lets just say the wipers liked it fast. Bam, fish on, bam 2nd pole goes bendo when reeling in the 1st, we have another double.  Before we can land the 1st, the third rod gets hooked up, a triple! Got the 1st one in the boat, a wiper. I'm fighting the second and I have my wife grab the third rod. It had tangled with the 4th line.  Got the second wiper in the boat. I was trying to untangle the 3rd line and get the fish in when the 4th line that is tangled with the 3rd gets slammed.  It was mayhem, a quadruple hookup! Ended up losing the 3rd, but after cutting the 3rd line at the crank to speed up the untangling process, we were able to land the 4th, another wiper. I have never had that happen before.

We quit just a bit before 11. Tally for the day was 15 wipers, 5 walleye and 1 smallmouth. Nothing too big today.  Had one nice wiper on that I got a good look at but the rest were probably last years planters but fun fighters.  Walleye were between 14-17". Smallmouth about 11".  21 fish caught with another 8-10 hookups that just came loose.  It is HOT right now.  Saw some shad  ball marks today as well.

Thanks for the report. Great info for when the batteries have had enough but I wanna keep going. Any advice on how you got you wife to join you fishing would be welcome. I try my hardest and she just tells me if I wanna woman to fish with to just get a fishing girlfriend. Pretty sure that would be hard to land.

It wasn't always that way. When the kids were little all she felt like she was doing was handing out snacks and keeping them entertained. Getting a bigger boat, kids grown up, and we really like spending time together helps too. She hates getting up early for morning trips, but likes to catch and eat fish. It helps when we go to Willard and I promise a stop at Maddox afterwards.  Gets her every time.
I launched at the south marina at 730am. I fished thd area near hog farm out into the abyss. Worked the west dike and the light pole and back into the abyss. Also tried out front of north marina and into freeway bay. I trolled cranks and bounced blades and crawlers. I got 2 cats for my long solo effort. I couldnt buy a wallie or wiper today. Far cry from the double limit last week! Pulled it at 4pm. Should've left when the other boats did!
(06-11-2022, 12:56 AM)Wasatch801 Wrote: I launched at the south marina at 730am.  I fished thd area near hog farm out into the abyss.  Worked the west dike and the light pole and back into the abyss. Also tried out front of north marina and into freeway bay.  I trolled cranks and bounced blades and crawlers.  I got 2 cats for my long solo effort.  I couldnt buy a wallie or wiper today.  Far cry from the double limit last week!  Pulled it at 4pm.  Should've left when the other boats did!

I have a love/hate relationship with Willard. I went out in the evening 2 weeks ago and got skunked.  Granted it was right after the cold front and storms but still a tough pill to swallow. Wow, it seems you covered most of the lake. Weird Willard for sure. Sorry, sounds like a tough day.
Here's the fillet board with the take from today.  Going to have family over for a big fish taco dinner on Sunday.

[Image: 20220610-191634.jpg]
(06-11-2022, 02:28 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Here's the fillet board with the take from today.  Going to have family over for a big fish taco dinner on Sunday.

Hey Paul, great day !     What time you having dinner tomorrow....?    Big Grin  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[Image: 5894-DD2-A-CEE6-4-C1-E-8-B9-C-05-FA2-A993226.jpg]
(06-11-2022, 06:20 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 02:28 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Here's the fillet board with the take from today.  Going to have family over for a big fish taco dinner on Sunday.

Hey Paul, great day !     What time you having dinner tomorrow....?    Big Grin  

Thanks Forest! 530 pm buddy.
Great report. Them wipers are a ball to catch. Most that know me, know i got my handle from trolling 5 mph ay Willard. I would throttle back with a big one on.
(06-12-2022, 03:07 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Great report. Them wipers are a ball to catch. Most that know me, know i got my handle from trolling 5 mph ay Willard. I would throttle back with a big one on.

Do you catch many walleye at 5MPH up there?
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-12-2022, 03:07 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Great report. Them wipers are a ball to catch. Most that know me, know i got my handle from trolling 5 mph ay Willard. I would throttle back with a big one on.

Thanks. Wow I've gone as fast as 4.5 but not over 5. That is really cruising. I'll have to give it a try.
(06-10-2022, 11:21 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Wowzers sounds like a party. Wonderful work! Congrats. Wonder how many you woulda caught in an ultimate boat?

Thanks. It was fun. Even though our boat isn't a traditional fishing one, the fish don't seem to care. But it is also a play boat and we had it out on Willard again yesterday with the family pulling a 3 person inflatable. It seats 9 and gets up on plane fast even with all those people on board. We like it.
Congrats Paul, another great trip, way to go bud... So how were the taco's? I'll bet that was a great feast... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-13-2022, 04:20 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats Paul, another great trip, way to go bud... So how were the taco's?  I'll bet that was a great feast... Later Jeff

Thanks.  They were awesome. Homemade Pico (onion, jalapenos, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro), shredded cabbage, mango, avocado, homemade crema sauce and lime wedges. Fried some and baked some, but in the end there were only 2 small strips of fish left and the toppings were gone.  Corn on the cob as a side. Very good.