Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Skunk...finally killed it
It seems being retired for 2 years now, I'm having trouble getting up and going in the mornings  Big Grin . 

Got launched out of WB south about 0800, and decided to run some of the new lures my son got me last Christmas. I had tried a couple of them last month and picked up a SMB. 
So I got them hooked up and started trolling toward Freeway Bay. Pretty constant over 9 to 11 fow where I was marking lots of fish, running wide S turns and varying speed from 1.7 to 2.65 (GPS).  Had several hard hits and early releases.
From feed lot area to Freeway bay, tried out 8 or 10 new lures, but nothing wanted to hang on to any of them. 

[Image: 012-16-Jun-2022.jpg]    

At almost the east wall, I decided to go back west and started long line trolling some of my old stand-by cranks. 5 minutes after getting my lines out, and drags adjusted, one rod bent over and line started stripping off reel so fast I thought maybe I had a big Wiper.  But no such luck. It was a good size Cat though.  In the process of getting it to the net, it tangled up my other line.  Worked about 15 minutes to get them straightened out and ended up cutting both lines and re-tying lures to fresh line.  While doing all that, the light breeze turned the boat around (motor in idle) and pushed me out of my desired route. 

[Image: 013.jpg]

Got re-situated and decided to turn broadside into the breeze, and set out some baited hooks and drift.  That was the productive tactic. Catching wasn't fast, but was able to boat 3 more Cats before my bait ran out . (all released).  

[Image: 014.jpg]      [Image: 015.jpg]    [Image: 016.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
We were trolling near you in the SE/Freeway Bay area. The guy and gal in the white Lund. The walleye weren't cooperating so we switched to slow-dragging bait and picked up some nice cats. Lemon Pepper Catfish on the pellet grill were pretty tasty this evening!
Nice Forest. You seem to have a good system for cats out there. Good report.
(06-17-2022, 01:20 AM)LundLefty Wrote: We were trolling near you in the SE/Freeway Bay area.  The guy and gal in the white Lund.  The walleye weren't cooperating so we switched to slow-dragging bait and picked up some nice cats.  Lemon Pepper Catfish on the pellet grill were pretty tasty this evening!

Yep, I saw you out there. I knew I recognized the boat.  Glad you picked up some Cats.   IMHO Willard Cats are the second best eating fish in that body of water. I haven't kept any this year so far cuz I still have several bags of fillets in the freezer from last year, but will probably start keeping some soon.  

Cool
Were you in the yellow aluminum with the Bimini? I think I trolled south of you then made a line to the west of you heading north. Looked you were in the drifting mode when I went by.
Same for me. I picked up a nice cat on a crank off the feedlot.
I was in the dark blue tin can.
It seams the walleye bite just shut off? Those were nice cats, but I'm surprised the weather has had such a big affect on the other fish.
Can you tell if the water level is still rising?
I had an oil leak on my propeller shaft so I had the bottom half rebuild with new seals and impeller. Hopefully I can get out next week and try it out. And catch some eyes.
Hey tin-can why do you have the foam on your shade topper.?
Any one have news on starvation?
(06-17-2022, 11:56 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Were you in the yellow aluminum with the Bimini?  I think I trolled south of you then made a line to the west of you heading north.  Looked you were in the drifting mode when I went by.
Same for me.  I picked up a nice cat  on a crank off the feedlot.
I was in the dark blue tin can.

No,  I'm in a 14' Lund.  It does have a Bimini top. 

[Image: 018-Dockside.jpg]

(06-17-2022, 02:26 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: It seams the walleye bite just shut off?  Those were nice cats, but I'm surprised the weather has had such a big affect on the other fish. 
Can you tell if the water level is still rising?
I had an oil leak on my propeller shaft so I had the bottom half rebuild with new seals and impeller. Hopefully I can get out next week and  try it out. And catch some eyes.
Hey tin-can why do you have the foam on your shade topper.?
Any one have news on starvation?

It does seem that the water has come up just a little. But I would guess the bay is about 50%.  

I might try another trip out later this week Wed, Thurs.  Seems those are the best weather forecast days.  

Those pieces of blue foam, made out of pool noodles, are to prevent my bimini top support poles from vibrating when it's stowed down. 

[Image: 036a.jpg]

Cool