Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry-another good "ObiFish" A.M.
Friday, June 24...Met up with Shawn (ObiFishkenobi), TigerPincer, and CatchinOn at about 0500 and headed on out for the brisk boat ride to Shawn's starting spot..didn't take too long before we started getting into some fish...those guys getting some nice kokes and cutts, I played with cutts all A.M....Some pretty strong rain and lightning strikes on the way up, esp. around Daniels Summit, but often Strawberry has it's own climate/weather patterns, and weather was not an issue for us while on the water...Tks again Shawn for being the boat host...good fishing with you guys...
(06-25-2022, 03:37 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Friday, June 24...Met up with Shawn (ObiFishkenobi), TigerPincer, and CatchinOn at about 0500 and headed on out for the brisk boat ride to Shawn's starting spot..didn't take too long before we started getting into some fish...those guys getting some nice kokes and cutts, I played with cutts all A.M....Some pretty strong rain and lightning strikes on the way up, esp. around Daniels Summit, but often Strawberry has it's own climate/weather patterns, and weather was not an issue for us while on the water...Tks again Shawn for being the boat host...good fishing with you guys...

It was great fishing with you guys I went back out and caught my limit between 5-6pm 24 kokes in the box for Thursday and Friday.
Yes it was great meeting and fishing with you all.  I hope your crawfish boil went well.  Wish I coulda stayed for that. Thank youyou for allowing me to fish with you.
Sounds like a fun trip, did you end up with any kokes Joe?
Hey Curtis...not that day...that was my day to play with the cutts only...strange and humbling on not contributing to the koke fun; just an odd day for me on the kokes...some days are like that....HOWEVER...made up for it today. Grandson home on leave from the Air Force, so took him and his Dad out to another Koke fishery early this A.M...2 planers, 2 down riggers, all my gear....everything worked good EXCEPT the lure/dodger/bait combination that seemed to work so good for Obifish and TigerPincer last Friday...Go Figure...We had a good morning, except getting a little too windy by 1030, but we stayed on 'til noon..some nice average fish netted, several said siyanara as they leaped 2 feet out of the water, so my guys were pretty happy with our outing...One thing I did different today that I wished I had done last Friday at Strawberry -- I used garlic flavored scent on half the sets, and these produced better than Kokanee Feast or shrimp soaked maggots..."Black Eagle Kokobow" and black and white "Assasin" were our best producers, even when it was completely sunny...others worked, but not as consistently today...Guluk..
(06-29-2022, 03:28 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey Curtis...not that day...that was my day to play with the cutts only...strange and humbling on not contributing to the koke fun; just an odd day for me on the kokes...some days are like that....HOWEVER...made up for it today. Grandson home on leave from the Air Force, so took him and his Dad out to another Koke fishery early this A.M...2 planers, 2 down riggers, all my gear....everything worked good EXCEPT the lure/dodger/bait combination that seemed to work so good for Obifish and TigerPincer last Friday...Go Figure...We had a good morning, except getting a little too windy by 1030, but we stayed on 'til noon..some nice average fish netted, several said siyanara as they leaped 2 feet out of the water, so my guys were pretty happy with our outing...One thing I did different today that I wished I had done last Friday at Strawberry -- I used garlic flavored scent on half the sets, and these produced better than Kokanee Feast or shrimp soaked maggots..."Black Eagle Kokobow" and black and white "Assasin" were our best producers, even when it was completely sunny...others worked, but not as consistently today...Guluk..

I know you did not mention it in your report, I just thought maybe you got some from one of the other guys.  Glad to hear that you and stepson and grandson had a good trip yesterday. Thanks for the info on the garlic scent working better, also the lure selection, you seems to have good luck with those Assassin lure, I'll have to look up the kokabow.
Curtis - just for info...the first time I tried a black/white koke lure was 3 or 4 years ago at the Gorge, on a cloudy day..and it worked...you know how they say...use a dark lure on a dark day, brighter lure on a bright day...that's why I tried it...my last few times out this year it's been producing well, even on a bright day...kokes or the trout seem to like it, whether Black Eagle Kokobow, black/white Assasin, or black/white Wedding Ring...maybe the next time I go out they won't work, but I'll sure have one as a first pick...

(06-30-2022, 03:15 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Curtis - just for info...the first time I tried a black/white koke lure was 3 or 4 years ago at the Gorge, on a cloudy day..and it worked...you know how they say...use a dark lure on a dark day, brighter lure on a bright day...that's why I tried it...my last few times out this year it's been producing well, even on a bright day...kokes or the trout seem to like it, whether Black Eagle Kokobow, black/white Assasin, or black/white Wedding Ring...maybe the next time I go out they won't work, but I'll sure have one as a first pick...

Is this the lure and color you are talking about:
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-...ft%20Baits

If so, I can't say I have ever heard of anyone using black for kokes before but it sounds like it's working for you.
(06-30-2022, 04:25 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 03:15 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Curtis - just for info...the first time I tried a black/white koke lure was 3 or 4 years ago at the Gorge, on a cloudy day..and it worked...you know how they say...use a dark lure on a dark day, brighter lure on a bright day...that's why I tried it...my last few times out this year it's been producing well, even on a bright day...kokes or the trout seem to like it, whether Black Eagle Kokobow, black/white Assasin, or black/white Wedding Ring...maybe the next time I go out they won't work, but I'll sure have one as a first pick...

Is this the lure and color you are talking about:
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-...ft%20Baits

If so, I can't say I have ever heard of anyone using black for kokes before but it sounds like it's working for you.
yessir...kokes, cutts, and 'bows....