Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blackfoot Reservoir
Me and obifishkenobi did get to Blackfoot last week. Shawn brought his boat up and we trolled. I tried all kinds of spoons with not much luck. I did get one when I tipped a kastmaster with pink maggots and I did get a couple on wedding rings and worm. But Shawn put out his kokanee gear, a pink dodger and beaded hooks tipped with pink power maggots and caught a lot of 1 1/2 pound Rainbows. A couple of two pounders and two nicer cutthroat. We used downriggers around 13 feet deep.
Thanks for the report Randy. I'm curious, does Blackfoot have other fish in it, besides the cutts and bows, any kokes?
How was the water level? Thanks for the report.
The water level is good. Curt, there are perch and small mouth and and suckers and tons of carp.
(06-21-2022, 07:42 PM)fast_randy Wrote: The water level is good. Curt, there are perch and small mouth and and suckers and tons of carp.

I have never heard much about the water depth there, is Blackfoot a very deep lake?
Nice sounds like a good day of catching.
(06-21-2022, 07:24 PM)zeb Wrote: How was the water level?  Thanks for the report.

Welcome to the site Zeb, how did you find out about BFT?
(06-22-2022, 03:20 AM)wiperhunter Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 07:24 PM)zeb Wrote: How was the water level?  Thanks for the report.

I’ve followed it for many years but haven’t ever commented.  I’ve noticed it’s not as popular as it used to be.  I figured it’s time to start contributing to maybe help out.  I’m headed to Blackfoot for the weekend.  I’ll try and post an update after the trip.
I think Blackfoot is too shallow for kokes. The deepest I seen was 20 foot.
Thanks Randy etal. great report and welcome to the newbie Smile nice to see soome new blood that we can take advantage of, lol.  I think that Blackfoot starts to drop depth as the summer moves along because of the irrigation and towards the end, I'm not sure but, it gets hard to launch a boat at all because it gets so low. Been years since I was up there so nice to see a report or two.
(06-22-2022, 05:11 AM)zeb Wrote:

I’ve followed it for many years but haven’t ever commented.  I’ve noticed it’s not as popular as it used to be.  I figured it’s time to start contributing to maybe help out.  I’m headed to Blackfoot for the weekend.  I’ll try and post an update after the trip.

I'm glad you decided to join, this board could really use the support. Looking forward to reading your report, hope Blackfoot treats you well.
(06-23-2022, 01:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 05:11 AM)zeb Wrote:

I'm glad you decided to join, this board could really use the support. Looking forward to reading your report, hope Blackfoot treats you well.

Fished Blackfoot over the weekend. We caught some fish but it was definitely slower than past years. Friday blew like crazy so I didn't fish much myself. Saturday we got on the water early and trolled for a couple hours without a bite. Then for no reason at all they started biting (maybe 8 ish). while they were biting it was hot but as soon as they stopped it was dead. We never caught any monsters but the fish were decent sized. Like I said slower than years past but we still caught plenty of fish and had a great time.
Thanks for the report, were you trolling just rapala type lures or dodgers and squid? Were you long lining the lures or riggers to get it down deeper?
(06-29-2022, 09:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, were you trolling just rapala type lures or dodgers and squid? Were you long lining the lures or riggers to get it down deeper?

Pop gear with a wedding ring and worm.  The other Pole had a wobbler with a worm.  100 feet of line behind the boat.  Both poles caught about an equal amount. Also caught a couple on a Rapala.
Nice, pop gear works great
(07-02-2022, 02:59 AM)zeb Wrote: Pop gear with a wedding ring and worm.  The other Pole had a wobbler with a worm.  100 feet of line behind the boat.  Both poles caught about an equal amount. Also caught a couple on a Rapala.

I haven't heard of anyone fishing with a wobbler in a long time, do you remember where you bought it? We use to fish  with a wobbler all the time at Strawberry.
(07-02-2022, 01:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 02:59 AM)zeb Wrote: Pop gear with a wedding ring and worm.  The other Pole had a wobbler with a worm.  100 feet of line behind the boat.  Both poles caught about an equal amount. Also caught a couple on a Rapala.

I haven't heard of anyone fishing with a wobbler in a long time, do you remember where you bought it? We use to fish  with a wobbler all the time at Strawberry.
My dad custom makes them out of big spoons from the DI ?
(07-02-2022, 11:42 PM)zeb Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 01:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

My dad custom makes them out of big spoons from the DI ?
Cool, so he buys regular spoones from DI, cuts off the handles, drills holes in the spoones and adds the trible hook, is that it or does he hammer the spoon too?