Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Sense? - Making Bad Scents?
So I guess this is a thought/question for all you koke/trout trollers, or anyone else applying liquid or oil scents to any of your lures (ei, hoochies, squids, assasins, or whatever)...Always trying to fine-tune my game here...I always clean or wipe down any flashers, dodgers,etc that I apply scent to when done fishing, but do any of you clean your lures afterwards to get rid of old scent? If so, how, and what do you use? In addition to the pre-scented bait (corn, magots,etc) sometimes I'll put a little extra on the lure itself, and I'm thinking that over time those different scents are creating some Bad Scents of their own, maybe even breaking down some of the plastic....some of my squids just didn't smell fresh anymore...Make Sense?...
(06-29-2022, 05:20 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: So I guess this is a thought/question for all you koke/trout trollers, or anyone else applying liquid or oil scents to any of your lures (ei, hoochies, squids, assasins, or whatever)...Always trying to fine-tune my game here...I always clean or wipe down any flashers, dodgers,etc that I apply scent to when done fishing, but do any of you clean your lures afterwards to get rid of old scent? If so, how, and what do you use? In addition to the pre-scented bait (corn, magots,etc) sometimes I'll put a little extra on the lure itself, and I'm thinking that over time those different scents are creating some Bad Scents of their own, maybe even breaking down some of the plastic....some of my squids just didn't smell fresh anymore...Make Sense?...
A lot of Salmon and Stealhead anglers wash all of their gear with lemon Joy dish soap between trips to get the oils off of their tackle. I only put scent on my dodgers and wipe them off with a rag between trips.
I just use a damp rag and wipe off the lure/dodger after fishing with them with scent on them. I continue to catch fish even years later, so it doesn't seem to matter in my opinion. As for squids/hootchies I change them out every season if I have used them. The UV and glow effects are significantly less after a year of use. The ones I haven't touched seem to be just like new. I keep my squid/hoochie rigs wrapped around a 6" piece of pool noodle in slots I have cut with a razor blade. Then I keep the noodle with rigs stored in a zip-lock back to keep off dust, ozone, etc.
(06-29-2022, 08:00 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 05:20 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: So I guess this is a thought/question for all you koke/trout trollers, or anyone else applying liquid or oil scents to any of your lures (ei, hoochies, squids, assasins, or whatever)...Always trying to fine-tune my game here...I always clean or wipe down any flashers, dodgers,etc that I apply scent to when done fishing, but do any of you clean your lures afterwards to get rid of old scent? If so, how, and what do you use? In addition to the pre-scented bait (corn, magots,etc) sometimes I'll put a little extra on the lure itself, and I'm thinking that over time those different scents are creating some Bad Scents of their own, maybe even breaking down some of the plastic....some of my squids just didn't smell fresh anymore...Make Sense?...
A lot of Salmon and Stealhead anglers wash all of their gear with lemon Joy dish soap between trips to get the oils off of their tackle. I only put scent on my dodgers and wipe them off with a rag between trips.

Same here
Y'all do whatever y'all think works.  Other than putting some scent oil in the jar of Gulp Maggots when I first open the jar, I don't put scent on anything.  I don't seem to have any trouble catching fish.  Neither do the folks that fish in waters designated as artificial lures only where scent of any kind is illegal.  The REAL target for scents is the fishermen & women.  The scent making companies catch lots of those.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I do the same as Obi. Never put scent on the hoochie, spinner, apex, etc. Just on the dodger and wipe clean before storing.
(06-29-2022, 08:05 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: I just use a damp rag and wipe off the lure/dodger after fishing with them with scent on them.  I continue to catch fish even years later, so it doesn't seem to matter in my opinion.  As for squids/hootchies I change them out every season if I have used them.  The UV and glow effects are significantly less after a  year of use.  The ones I haven't touched seem to be just like new.  I keep my squid/hoochie rigs wrapped around a 6" piece of pool noodle in slots I have cut with a razor blade.  Then I keep the noodle with rigs stored in a zip-lock back to keep off dust, ozone, etc.

I think I like your practice of tossing used squids after a season (or maybe 2, for me)..I store each in it's own qt size zip-loc bag, onto which I've written the name of the lure, latest date that I re-tied everything, and a column for date fishing, and what it caught..I'd still like to start each trip with a clean, non-smell lure (ei. hoochie, squid), so maybe after each trip I'll try dipping those I've used in a cleaning solution, rinse and dry before storing them in the baggies...even if I'm not directly putting scent on the lure, it's getting on their from handling the scented bait, dropping the lure on the bottom of the boat, etc.....Thanks all for your thoughts...
(06-29-2022, 08:00 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I purchased some small travel-size bottles and keep one filled with Lemon Joy with my tackle. I also use scent only on the dodger and use a drop of Lemon Joy to clean it off. I've also found the Lemon Joy to be pretty useful to keep my hands clean in the event I get scent/oil/fuel on them when I'm on the water. To me, more concerning than getting scent off my lures is making sure I don't get a repellant scent (maybe even something I ate for lunch) on my hands with which I'm handling the squids/maggots/etc. Probably overkill, but every variable we can tip in our favor can't hurt.